{Travel} 10 Things to carry in your hand luggage

Before travelling we have so much to take into consideration and so many things to pack. I am a last minute packer and always rushing even if I pack a week in advance I will unpack the night before and re-pack all over again. So for my trips coming up I thought I write down a list of items I should have packed in my hand luggage since my main luggage will only consist of my clothes, shoes and one winter jacket.

HAnd luggage

Identification & Money

These are the most important items one should always have on them when travelling especially when you are going abroad. I recommend for both men and women, to have a passport wallet that will carry:

1. Passport
  2. Bank card or credit card

Ticket

Whether going abroad or not, most places require you to carry a ticket unless you’re driving but even then if driving to another country you will need your details or if using a ferry will need a ferry ticket for you and the car.

Clothes (light items)

This may be strange for some but I love to pack some light clothes in my hand luggage because if for example I am going somewhere warm I will need to get out of my England winter clothes. Last year I went to Dubai before proceeding to Zambia and in Dubai I had to change my clothes as it was too unbearable to dress in my winter woollies.

hand luggage

Shoes

Again same as the light clothes I like to pack shoes, if on that unforeseen day its warm in England when I depart and not so warm when I arrive at my destination I want to make sure I have the correct footwear, same applies if I link with winter boots here and arrive in warm climate.

Gadgets

In this day and age it is absolutely essential to have your gadgets with you, it does not necessary have to be your games etc it just has to be the bare essentials like:

• Phone: Once a day I check my phone when on holiday for anything urgent.
  • Tablet or laptop: Blogging needs to continue before before
  • Camera: Need to capture the memories
  • Headphones: I can not seriously function without my headphones, I take them everywhere with me.
  • Charger and Power Bank:  I only have USB type of charges so having a power bank works wonders for me and charging is easy. I charge the power bank which later chargers my phones and iPad.

Toiletries

For most the toiletries carried are simple like, toothpaste, toothbrush, face towel, face wash and moisturiser. This is a personal choice but I prefer to have these items handy especially on flights longer than 4 hours.

hand luggage

Medication

Dependent on who you are, where you are going and if you have any regular medication and even allergies then it’s important to pack some medication. I always walk around and pack pain killers but remember in hand luggage most medication will need a doctors note and/or prescription.

Food (snacks)

I do not care how long or short my flight is, the point is I need snacks, this stops me form impulse buying when I land. Once I check in and/or if possible some of my snacks are allowed through airport security then I am even happier. Also when you get to your destination whilst looking for somewhere to eat you have your snacks to start you off.

Pillow

I am flying to Seoul in a connect flight via Munich, I will need a pillow from Munich to Seoul (a 10 hour flight). Though the planes provide pillows I don’t know about you but they do nothing for me so I always need to get my neck pillow.

These are some of the items I like to have packed in my hand luggage, what items do you pack? Any more suggestions for my 8 KG hand luggage?

hand luggage

1. Lauren Harmon
    April 24, 2015 / 1:56 am

I always forget something when I pack so I’ll definitely have to bookmark this list so I’m efficient next time I pack! I especially need to remember my external battery charger, I have a handful of them and ALWAYS forget to pack them and end up with a dead phone!

2. April 24, 2015 / 1:55 am

Great list – I’ll need to refer back if I ever get to travel! #ibabloggers

3. April 24, 2015 / 12:01 am

I always try to pack lightly, but fail miserably, especially when travelling with a toddler! Their stuff seems to over rule mine!

Thanks for linking up with the Saturday Spotlight!

4. A Woman The World Deserves
    April 22, 2015 / 6:05 pm

I never thought about a power bank but they are becoming so popular and so necessary! One of my essentials are an easy to carry bag that doesn’t hurt my back. Such a great list!

• April 23, 2015 / 5:20 am

I definitely have to make sure my hand luggage is one that wont hurt my back

5. April 22, 2015 / 8:21 am

These are great tips! I always forget to pack medication haha, and that’s not good! I love packing lightly as well, it makes everything so much easier!

6. Debbie Rodrigues
    April 22, 2015 / 8:11 am

I have a tendency to forget medicine. I generally go to Brazil to visit my mom, so I don’t care. But last year during a work travel, I got really. It was not funny. 🙁

• April 23, 2015 / 5:21 am

If you going home from home not a big deal if you forget something but if wherever you go they do not stock what you need becomes a problem

7. April 22, 2015 / 3:53 am

Great packing tips!Keeping medication in hand luggage is a great tip. Bags do get lost and the last thing you want to have to deal with is find medicine in a country were you do not speak the language or can easily have your prescription filled.

8. kathleen kennedy leon
    April 22, 2015 / 1:53 am

Great tips!! thank you–we are traveling to China this summer and these reminders are very helpful. I always carry a change of clothes, just because you never know what could happen to your luggage. And your advice about snacks is spot on -especially traveling internationally-you know what you like and having it handy is a comfort when you are so very far from home.

9. Hezzi-Ds Books&Cooks
    April 22, 2015 / 1:47 am

That’s a great list. I always carry a change of clothes, medication, and a toothbrush/toothpaste in my carry on because you never know if your luggage is going to make it or not. The one thing I always forget to pack is a charger.

10. April 22, 2015 / 12:25 am

Love your list. I don’t travel much but when I do it’s mostly by car. I like my car because I need more with me lol. I need everything where I can see it from electronics to clothes. Snacks are a must also and I would def. have my tablet with me with magazines on them.

11. Nicki
    April 21, 2015 / 9:52 pm

I always have a pair of socks in my bag because my tootsies get cold. I usually wear a scarf because it also helps keep me warm. Never thought of packing shoes before, but that is a great idea! #ibabloggers

12. Jennifer Juro
    April 21, 2015 / 9:49 pm

Your list is very similar to mine whenever I travel! I love the power charger banks I keep one fully charged in my car and one in my purse. I also still travel with paperback books when we fly.

13. Fiona Naughton
    April 21, 2015 / 8:14 pm

I’ve never traveled for more than four hours on a plane and I like to keep my hand luggage simple. I always stock up on magazines for the flight because it makes time pass faster for me if I have something to read. I also carry my tablet for playing games and listening to music.

14. April 21, 2015 / 7:50 pm

I always carry a carry on on the plane but I never know what I’ll need until I need it and it’s packed in my suitcase. I’m going to bookmark this page for future trips because you really have some great suggestions. I alway keep my camera and Kindle Fire HDX with me. Those are my 2 most important items, lol.

15. April 21, 2015 / 4:15 pm

Thanks for sharing! I always try to carry a sleep mask in case the people sitting near me are using a bright light as well as wearing a scarf can serve as a smaller version of a blanket in case it gets chilly.

• April 24, 2015 / 5:25 am

That’s another thing to add to my list, at least a mask can fit in my pants pocket lol

16. April 21, 2015 / 3:21 pm

great tips. I am impressed you can fit all of that in a carry on.

• April 24, 2015 / 5:23 am

I can pack much more when pressed lol, thanks

17. April 21, 2015 / 3:10 pm

Definitely saving this post for my next trip. I just flew across the country to L.A. and really could have used some more snacks and some light layers!

xo, Alicia
    Alicia Tenise

• April 24, 2015 / 5:23 am

Thanks Alicia, I love to get some snacks packed before my travels

18. The Red Notebook
    April 21, 2015 / 12:46 pm

I always have a scarf and socks and all the above in your list. Thanks for sharing

• April 24, 2015 / 5:22 am

Definitely need to remember socks and scarf, thanks.

19. April 21, 2015 / 12:24 pm

I always carry spare knickers, socks, an extra top, and a big scarf. The first three in case I need to survive an extra day before my luggage catches up with me at my destination, and the scarf as I always get hot then cold in cycles when flying x

• April 21, 2015 / 12:37 pm

I forgot socks definitely need those thanks. I get cold too during most flights so hope Lufthansa provides blankets but I will carry a fleece blanket too just in case.

20. April 21, 2015 / 12:14 pm

You fly to seoul only with hand luggage? I would not manage that. Hand luggage i manage up to 4-5 days max. but i carry seperate normally a small backpack with my camera gear, and a small bag with my suit in case of a business travel. But, this won’t work on low cost airlines. but regular airlines should allow 2 pieces without any big problem.

• April 21, 2015 / 12:22 pm

I am actually packing my clothes in the hand luggage and my friend who I am visiting I am taking a lot of things for her in my normal luggage but might squeeze a few things in the main bag but essentially it’s just the hand luggage for me.