{Guest Post} Local Flea Markets and Souvenir Shopping You Can Buy in Sicily

Whilst I am away on my never ending travels, I thought I share with you a guest post about Sicily – a place I hope to get a chance to travel to. Without further adieu…

One of the best ways to be reminded of your inspiring holiday is to take home some items that reflect a certain culture of the place. In Sicily, there are many objects that represent the island that tourists can buy and take back home. There are many souvenir shops and flea markets in Sicily where you can buy beautiful Sicilian mementos.

jellies-appendiabiti_3

Italian design furniture is still recognized as a trendsetter and leader in the world. Many home decoration items are available online on specialized sites where you can purchase prestigious Italian brands at a lower price . For example at ShopMohd you can find a vast collection of designed furnitures such as Kartell renowned for its innovative decorative objects and artistic home accessories. If you walk around local flea markets , you could find yourself face to face with some pieces that you may have already seen online

If you visit Caltagirone, shops proudly display beautiful arrays of colourful, artistic and awe-inspiring handmade ceramics in the form of kitchenware and decorative items such as vases. The quality of these pieces is so good that they are also considered as export items. Items range from the most affordable pieces to very expensive ones. Certain shops also provide custom-made items to suit customer specifications. You can buy them in the place but you can definitely find them everywhere in Sicily. On the other hand, it is worth the visit as you will be amazed at how the area is adorned with ceramic art.

sicily

Get lost in the vibrant ambience of Palermo’s street markets where you can find assortments of food, fresh produce, antiques, bric-a-brac as well as sections of dry goods and other articles. The “coppola,” which is perhaps the most popular symbol of Sicilianity, can be found everywhere. This is a good item to bring home as gifts to friends and family. You will find all kinds of designs and styles with different price ranges. Purchase one for yourself and stroll around as you soak up the local atmosphere and enjoy the regional cuisine!

For those who are into antiques, arts and crafts, you will not be disappointed. The Mercato delle Pulci in Palermo is the perfect destination. While you will find mostly furniture items, this place is also a permanent exhibition of antiques and interesting pieces of vintage items and modern art.

Written by: Mary Johnson, a freelance editor and writer

1. February 9, 2016 / 8:33 pm

I have visited Sicily and it’s a beautiful country. I wish I’d have thought to check out the Flea Markets as it would have been nice to bring home something unusual

• February 9, 2016 / 9:21 pm

I am yet to visit but definitely on my list

2. February 8, 2016 / 12:28 pm

Sounds like a great place, I’ve never been but it’s definitely on my bucket list. I would love to spend days rooting through little file markets but with small children I think some of the stores you have mentioned might be s bit easier- thanks for the ideas!

• February 8, 2016 / 12:34 pm

I have never been either but my guest post has made me want to go even more now

3. February 8, 2016 / 11:53 am

How beautiful are they?! I love souvenir shopping, you find so many different treasures that you wouldn’t normally find in your everyday life, and it’s a real momento to bring back those memories from your travels. I’ve always wanted to go to Sicily, one day I tell myself…one day when my four kids are less hard work 😉

• February 8, 2016 / 12:33 pm

Awww bless I am sure that one day will come and yes I am all for souvenirs

4. February 7, 2016 / 9:42 pm

We would love to visit Sicily and its on our bucket list 🙂 I love looking around flea markets although with a little one it can be tricky! However thats not stopped us elsewhere 🙂 xx

• February 8, 2016 / 5:29 am

I too would love to visit Sicily just not too big on flea markets

5. February 7, 2016 / 7:51 pm

I am so lucky to have been to Sicily – it is the most beautiful place imaginable. I would love to go back. Taormina is stunning. Kaz x

• February 8, 2016 / 5:27 am

I am yet to visit and so jealous, can not wait to visit

6. February 7, 2016 / 6:36 pm

I have always wanted to go because Italy is near the top of my to-see list and the flea markets look exciting. I love the craftsmanship and colours.

• February 7, 2016 / 6:46 pm

I too have Italy my my list of places to visit before I hit 30

7. February 7, 2016 / 4:50 pm

I’d love to visit Sicily, I’m just a little envious! I like to collect unusual pieces of pottery and the family often bring me back lovely bits from their travels.

• February 7, 2016 / 5:06 pm

Awww bless I hope you manage to one day

8. February 7, 2016 / 12:34 pm

I’d so love to go to Sicily! We had a wonderful holiday in Florence some years ago and I brought home beautiful pottery which I still have. Flea markets would be perfect for me 🙂

• February 7, 2016 / 2:45 pm

How lovely, I am not big on flea markets as I never know what to get and just the vibe is too busy for me.

• February 7, 2016 / 5:48 am

You and me both

9. February 6, 2016 / 2:24 pm

I have always wanted to visit Sicily. The thought of pottering around markets there has totally added to my fantasy. Hopefully I will make it one day! Lovely post to read on such a miserable day 🙂

• February 6, 2016 / 2:26 pm

I too want to visit Sicily one day not big on flea markets but a little indulging wouldn’t hurt

10. February 6, 2016 / 1:39 pm

What a really interesting post, I have always considered visiting Sicily

• February 6, 2016 / 1:57 pm

Me too

11. February 6, 2016 / 10:26 am

I have always wanted to visit a flea market, let’s hope I get the chance one day. You have to have a souvenir from your travels!

• February 6, 2016 / 10:44 am

Absolutely every travel needs souvenirs

12. February 6, 2016 / 9:59 am

I adore flea markets, and your adventures sound like a bargain hunters dream. It’s on my to do list when little one is older.

• February 6, 2016 / 10:09 am

I am not big on flee markets but I do go when I get a chance, can’t wait to visit Sicily

13. February 6, 2016 / 9:29 am

We are really hoping to go to Sicily this year as it sounds like such an amazing place – so much history and culture

Thanks for sharing

Laura x

• February 6, 2016 / 9:34 am

I hope to go soon as well though not sure if this year or the next. Hope you do go and share your experience

14. February 6, 2016 / 8:24 am

Great post hun. I’ve never had the chance to visit sickly but have always wanted too, the street markets sounds amazing. Maybe once kids are bit older hey 🙂 #commenter 3 xx

• February 6, 2016 / 9:33 am

I am yet to visit myself but always love to read about other people’s experiences and add to my bucketlist