I would love to travel but

Finish this statement: I would love to travel but….?

I recently shared with you how I manage to travel so often and the answers I go where astonishing. Excusing those who are ill and financials do not really leave even some change for sweats I was astonished at how many people say they want to travel but….

I would love to travel but

I think most some of my readers and fellow bloggers are not truly seeing the reason why I shared how I manage to travel so often. I guess because all travels that I have shared have all been abroad, it has been giving off the illusion that travel only means going abroad I am here to correct that, it certainly DOESN’T. Let’s take the following scenarios and tell me which group you fall into and how you will change the thought process for your future travel plans.

Those living in the United States of America

America is a huge country with 50 states to its name, you can’t tell me you can not travel because it is expensive to fly abroad. Yes it is expensive but you’re limiting yourself by thinking traveling is all about going abroad. If I was to come to your city, what would you like me to see as a tourist? Do you have museums, farms, seaside (for some), local parks and many more places. You do not have to wait until the tickets to fly abroad are cheaper for you to go. If you really wanted to travel (and not just abroad) you would look at your priorities and look at what is stopping you from traveling.

For those in the UK

Europe as a whole is at your finger tips, I shared how to plan your trip to Amsterdam using the bus. Many said they can not sit for that long, flights are too expensive, or I wish I could do that. Do you see a common theme here, excuses. If you can’t compromise, you will never go anywhere, if you’re waiting for things to align or fall into place, well good luck to you. We are at such an advantage, if you sat down and researched how to get to any part of Europe you will find their multitude of ways you can do it. If getting on a 10hr bus ride is not for you, check the flights if too expensive check the trains and then choose one and compromise. If going abroad really isn’t something you can afford then look within the UK, it is a big enough with 3 countries to its name. I am sure we are all close to at least one of these 3 countries and if you’re in Northern Ireland you have another country close by.

Overcome the difficulties.

The thing about traveling is putting your excuses or obstacles aside and seeing what you can do and see with what you have. I was a student in debt with over £12k to my name, I spoke to the companies I owed and came up with an affordable repayment plan, I changed my way of living and of thinking. If I do not have it I do not spend it, I learned to compromise and I learned to do and work with little and be grateful for everything I have and what I do not yet have. Again there are people who are in situations 10 times worse than me but that has not stopped them, there are people who are so much better than me but they sit on their hands and only WISH, stop wishing and get to work. Be honest with yourself, is it the money, the kids, your illness, the distance or is it because you just say you want to travel but in all honesty you do not. Once you figure out what is what then you can either (1) pack the travel thoughts in and live through others or (2) make a change now and do something about it, take the kids to the local zoo, park, go karting, farms and many more places.

There are so many reasons why people can not travel so many and I am not talking about long vacations or anything along those lines. People have got their work, schools and other commitments. I am talking about that odd weekend or dependant on work schedule that day off. Use the weekends (like me) or your day off to go off exploring another town, city, country or your own town.

Now to end my scolding, here are some of the quotes that have put traveling into perspective for me and made me realise why I want to travel more whenever I can.

In the end, we only REGRET chances we never took

Better to see something once than to hear about it a thousand times

I want to make memories all over the world

Take every chance you get in life because somethings only happen once

Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.

1. March 17, 2016 / 9:59 pm

I think you really have to want it don’t you to make it a priority. I also think so many things take our time and energy it’s difficult to prioritise travel plans. It is something that is important to me and my lifestyle changes have allowed me to travel more in recent years

• March 18, 2016 / 3:49 pm

I couldn’t have put it better myself and thanks

2. March 15, 2016 / 7:40 am

but I live on a remote island in the middle of the North Sea and it costs a small fortune to get to the mainland where all the affordable flights are!

• March 15, 2016 / 7:53 am

Awww bless, what’s the island?

3. March 15, 2016 / 12:28 am

Making excuses is usually a way of a person either being to scared or unmotivated to do or try something. What you did here was call them out on it…lol why they can travel. I love to travel even in my own backyard. Thanks for sharing your ideas!

• March 15, 2016 / 5:40 am

You’re welcome, thanks for sharing another insight. I think it’s better to say I can’t travel because of such and such and not I would love to travel but… When such excuses are not even a barrier. Kids, money or illness are the exception to the rule I think lol

4. March 14, 2016 / 11:51 pm

I was probably one of them!!! Hahahah.
    If I didn’t have any commitments (like kids) I’d be going away every weekend, and I would use Groupon and Living Social deals. They have fantastic deals, and everyone should make the most of them.

• March 15, 2016 / 5:37 am

Hahaha lol, thanks for sharing living social deals never heard of them before will check them out

5. March 14, 2016 / 8:45 pm

Its so true my friend wants to go to Greece and I have always wanted to go but I keep holding back because of my money issues. I need to start saving now!

• March 14, 2016 / 9:34 pm

I hope you both manage to go soon and save up enough

6. March 14, 2016 / 8:25 pm

You are so right! My greatest desire to travel with my children – difficult though when they are at school age. Kaz x

• March 14, 2016 / 8:30 pm

I bet it is because you are limited to when you can travel and we all know school holidays is the most expensive time to travel

7. March 14, 2016 / 8:25 pm

I so wish I could travel more but with 6 kids I don’t think there is much chance of that

• March 14, 2016 / 8:29 pm

Awww bless I can not even begin to imagine that

8. March 14, 2016 / 4:04 pm

I totally agree. I have been to 12 countries and have so much more I’d love to do in the future when i am well once more. Enjoy your travels. 🙂 Angela

• March 14, 2016 / 4:05 pm

Thanks so much Angela, hope you get better soon and are able to resume your travels

9. March 14, 2016 / 2:05 pm

You are absolutely right – if you want something enough then you put your mind to it and find a way to make it happen!

• March 14, 2016 / 2:06 pm

Agreed and thanks

10. March 14, 2016 / 11:58 am

I used to think I’d love to travel but I don’t have the disposable income so I started freelancing outside my full time job to be able to afford it, and I used to think I’d love to travel but I don’t have enough holiday from work so I go away for weekends and I max out on the bank holidays. For most of us there’s always a way! x

• March 14, 2016 / 12:35 pm

For most of us there is definitely always a way I do my travels same as you girl, weekends and earnings from my blog as use for traveling

11. March 14, 2016 / 11:48 am

You are so right about that! “I would love to travel but … I’m afraid we’re tied to our daughter’s holidays/school breaks”. That’s our main and one and only reason actually. Well apart from the budget, but we’re pretty tight with our money, so I think we can manage that actually.

• March 14, 2016 / 12:34 pm

I think if you travel during her holidays that still counts as holidays lol

12. March 14, 2016 / 11:31 am

One of my things on my bucket list is to travel within the UK more. There are some lovely places in the UK I’d like to visit! It doesn’t need to be expensive either, you can pick up some really cheap train tickets these days by checking online! I have 3 children but as long as it’s well planned and not during term times, it can be done! Great post! xx

• March 14, 2016 / 11:42 am

Thanks Sarah, it surely can like you said if it’s outside their school times its definitely doable

13. March 14, 2016 / 11:02 am

I always wanted to go travelling but now I have children it doesn’t seem as doable. It takes us forever to prepare for the school run!

• March 14, 2016 / 11:41 am

Awww bless, I can not even imagine. I have some friends who manage sometimes but I guess there everyone’s situation is different.

14. March 14, 2016 / 12:56 am

I really enjoyed this post. For so long I was one of those people that was constantly complaining about how much I wanted to travel, but couldn’t seem to get over the hurdles for one reason or another. Then I decided to change my outlook and realized that traveling doesn’t have to be to far away and expensive places, so I started my blog about my local adventures. There is history and beauty everywhere, and what many of us overlook certain things because we pass them on a regular basis, but those same places can be ones that others pay a lot of money and travel hundreds of miles to see. We can benefit from the opportunities for growth and self awareness that travel affords without having to even pack a bag.

• March 14, 2016 / 7:51 am

This is so true and I am so glad you shared this. Thanks so much Karina, wishing you many more travels

15. Elizabeth O
    March 13, 2016 / 6:25 pm

I hear you and totally agree/believe that if folks want to travel they will. We traveled the world with my kids from the time they were very young. Now as young adults, they are fearless travelers but it’s not everyone’s calling. 🙂
    An important factor is that some people are not interested in traveling outside their country or community and that’s a choice they have made. The travel bug doesn’t bite everyone and that is not an excuse just a fact of life for non-travelers. That said, keep traveling and if you ever come to NY, let me know so we can get together. <3

• March 13, 2016 / 6:57 pm

Thanks so much Elizabeth I will definitely let you know

16. Suchi
    March 13, 2016 / 4:34 pm

We are avid travelers, but working around our schedule & kiddos schedule is quite a hassle!!🙈🙈..great post!

• March 13, 2016 / 4:43 pm

Thanks

17. March 13, 2016 / 3:11 pm

For years I’ve always said I’d love to travel but…I have nobody to travel with and don’t want to travel by myself. I now have someone to travel with and we have already gone on two trips in the last year and are excited about many more. It’s all about scoping out the deals. We are staying in the states for now and when we have more vacation days at work and funds we may go abroad. It’s all so fun!

• March 13, 2016 / 4:26 pm

I know that and I wish you more travel plans in the future

18. March 13, 2016 / 1:00 pm

I love to travel and have always said I don’t mind if I don’t get filthy rich but as long as I have the ability to travel the world i will be fine.

• March 13, 2016 / 1:26 pm

And I hope you get the chance to travel

19. March 13, 2016 / 11:43 am

Totally agree, I’ve had the same sorts of conversations with people who say that can’t go anywhere because they have a child, not true! It’s all in the planning!xx

• March 13, 2016 / 12:51 pm

Thanks for saying that as someone who doesn’t have kids can’t really comment much lol but yes I agree it’s in planning

20. March 13, 2016 / 7:45 am

We love travelling, we have travelled loads since we got married and Emma has got the bug as well. I will check your last post on tips to reduce costs, we not always succeed in doing it cheap.xx

• March 13, 2016 / 7:49 am

I too love traveling and I so have the bug. Sometimes costs are too much so travel should be done to plays we can afford or save up for it if possible

21. March 12, 2016 / 10:39 pm

I would love to travel but I do have a lot of excuses why I don’t. My hubby and I don’t like to fly and we just can’t afford it right now. When we do travel, we stay fairly close to home and visit neighboring states that we can drive to. Someday I would love to go to Europe though. That is definitely on my bucket list!

• March 13, 2016 / 7:16 am

I am glad to read that, you do actually travel even if it’s close to home it’s travel nonetheless

22. March 12, 2016 / 9:59 pm

I love to explore new places and yes, there are a lot of barriers to visiting exotic places due to finances and commitments but I regularly visit places in Ireland, there are still so many lovely areas that I haven’t seen yet. I’m hoping to get to Spain for the first time this year, looking forward to that!

• March 12, 2016 / 10:03 pm

And I wish you all the best in doing that, you have so many obstacles and you’re not letting them limit you. Ireland is beautiful and lots to see

23. March 12, 2016 / 8:51 pm

so true! i love travellng but some people will always find a reason NOT to go!

• March 12, 2016 / 8:52 pm

And then complain that some people have it better than them that’s why. Lol

24. March 12, 2016 / 8:41 pm

I try to take my mom on vacation already once a year and u take my dad to the beach once a year. I’ve made it my mission to visit all 50 States. So o think I’m going to have to start dragging dad to beaches outside of the east coast.

• March 12, 2016 / 8:47 pm

I am glad to hear that and good luck to you

25. March 12, 2016 / 8:17 pm

There’s not much there to disagree with, is there? I would love to see more countries. but that desire is low on the list of stuff that I want to do !

• March 12, 2016 / 8:19 pm

Hahaha I think if traveling is not on the list of things it’s not and we just travel when we can but if people are not honest with themselves then ah well lol