The Unusual Careers Of The Fashion Industry

Even just the idea of working in the fashion industry sounds glamorous. Thankfully, the industry has grown enormously and nowadays fashion isn’t just about models and designers anymore. It needs people with all kinds of skills. The typical fashion jobs that we all know about can be easily found using online search resources, however, due to the highly saturated fashion industry job market in the UK and the growing importance of fashion in smaller areas, it may turn out to be a better idea to look for a job in smaller cities with developing fashion scenes, like Derby for example. If, on the other hand, getting a job in the big city is your priority, look into the unusual careers explored below.

Fashion Design Consultant for TV and Movies

Nowadays, costumes and props hold even more power in television series and movies. Due to high-definition screens and an audience that can take their opinion to Twitter if a costume looks as if it is from the 1800s when it should actually be from 1700s, the detail-oriented work of fashion design consultants is crucial.

fashion industry

Professional Closet Organiser

Have you ever color coordinated your closet or rearranged your items so it just makes more sense when you go to pick out an outfit? Imagine doing this, but on a huge scale.

Print Approver

For the creative types with a keen sense of style, being a print approver is a great option. Print approver develop print fabrics and ensure they flatter the silhouette of a piece or collection.

Christmas Display Production Specialist

Department stores are now considering Christmas as the most wonderful time of the year, which is why elaborate displays and a lot of planning goes into preparing for the holiday season. Production specialists are hired to focus on only one project: Christmas displays.

Fashion Florist

A lot of hard work goes into every last detail of photo-shoots and runway shows, right down to how many and which flowers are used. Whether you have a green thumb or not, if you know your flowers and love fashion, it could be your sweet spot to earning your way into the fashion industry as a fashion florist.

Though these jobs may seem a bit unusual, specializing in what you love outside of fashion can be just what it takes to land a job in the fashion industry.

Written in collaboration with M.D

1. January 31, 2017 / 2:00 pm

These are different ways of earning as a fashion designer .Definitely useful.

2. January 31, 2017 / 1:36 am

Oooh these all sound like really interesting jobs, I’d love to be a Christmas display specialist or a wardrobe organiser! xo

3. fashion-mommy
    January 30, 2017 / 9:40 pm

The idea of being a specialist in Christmas displays is just so brilliant, would love to do that.

4. Ance
    January 29, 2017 / 11:31 pm

All of them sound like an interesting careers of the fashion Industry.So many different jobs and very creative!!

5. Kristina A
    January 29, 2017 / 10:29 pm

I’d love to do some professional closet organization, sounds like such a blast and in the process you can fish in someone else’s wardrobe with your eyes. I can understand the Christmas display specialist need because Christmas is very lucrative for those in business. A good display can really make the difference in sales. This was a cool read, thanks for sharing.

6. January 29, 2017 / 8:29 pm

So many options, I remember playing with Girls World and planning my fashion designing life way back when. I could do with employing a closet organiser x

7. January 29, 2017 / 6:34 pm

Professional Closet Organiser sounds like a fun job! I think I would really enjoy it.

8. francesca
    January 29, 2017 / 6:24 pm

When I was a little girl I’d spend hours drawing my own fashion designs its all I ever wanted to do… After become a famous pop star like britney obvs!!

9. January 29, 2017 / 1:11 pm

Some of these jobs sound amazing, my daughters would fit in well with colour coordination she organises her clothes like that