Afternoon Tea at Chi Kitchen London {Sister’s thought}

Chi kitchen is a pan-Asian restaurant with two restaurants in Birmingham and London {inside Debenhams in Oxford Circus}. We recently had the pleasure of enjoying and testing out the afternoon tea menu which was awesome. I will be sharing a thorough review of our experience later in the week but for now here is my sister’s experience.

chi kitchen

Afternoon Tea at Chi Kitchen London {Sister’s thought}

Afternoon tea; I love Afternoon tea!  Did I say how much I love Afternoon tea? Anybody that knows me knows that this is my favourite activity to partake in, over the weekend.

I blame mum and my sister really because ever since I was younger on Saturdays or Sundays we’d go for afternoon tea, just us girl or with my older brother. Every time we went shopping or just on a family day out afternoon tea, was how the day was concluded. It felt like a reward and still feels like one. That has stuck with me up to this age and is something am willing to recommend to others. Feeling down, long week?, or just stuck for ideas of what to do over the weekend, go for afternoon tea.

Here are some of the reasons why I love afternoon tea.  The nostalgia the ideology encompasses and the sheer fact that all the food I have is always AMAZING. Earlier this week my sister text me about going for afternoon tea for my birthday but due to work commitments; it wasn’t possible. Therefore this weekend was a surprise when I was invited to central London by my sister and she asked me to meet her in Debenhams. As soon as I saw the sign “Afternoon tea from 3pm-6pm” my eyes were glowing. This is my favourite activity, this is my sport the restaurant was very modern, with really good light.

The Afternoon Tea with Asian Twist

We tried everything on the afternoon menu, but the bubbly which was the afternoon tea tier. In true British form I ordered a Mint tea for and my sister ordered a Malaysia tea which resembles a hot chocolate. Our menu was served on a 3 tier tray of deliciousness, our initial thoughts were “will this fill us up?” But its afternoon tea! Of course it will, don’t be silly. We started from the bottom tier which had the spring roll; taro cake, curry puff served with sweet chili sauce.

• Spring roll. As someone who’s had 1 too many spring rolls, I found that the puff pastry was cooked to perfection and the vegetables were nice and fresh!
    • Taro cake. Thin slice of taro cake with a splash of sweet chili sauce went down a treat. I think my sister didn’t even have a chance to dip hers on the flat because when I looked up it had disappeared.
    • Curry puff.  Bite size, pocket with filling of carrots and an assortment of vegetables. Very well seasoned and went down as an absolute treat with and without the sweet chili sauce. (I say this to say that I had my portion and my sisters). We ate the first tier so quickly, that I questioned what was there previously. It was so delicious!

Second tier; Salmon Nigiri and prawn dumpling. Served with soy sauce.
  • Salmon Nigiri. Is actually delicious sushi,  I’ve never had sushi and it was laid on a bed of a fragrant leaf. My initial thoughts were to bite into it and then slowly eat it however I just chomped it all down. It was so good, my senses at this point were just tingling and asking for more.
  • Prawn dumpling. The presentation was immaculate, on top of the dumpling were these green tint little balls of flavour. I dipped this into soy sauce and I think I heard the theme song to the lion king. The dumpling was awesome, the flavours were perfect.
Then finally the last, well top-tier.

Top tray : dessert, caramel cheesecake, cassava and Pandan kaya bun.

• Caramel cheesecake: the texture was beautiful with a really nice consistency, the portion size was adequate.
  • Cassava cake: am going to refer to this as a slice of heaven. Bite size portion, as someone whose only had cassava the African way having the cassava cake was just delicious. The thought is enough to make me salivate again.
  • Pandan kaya bun: this is a Malaysian paste , inside a soft light green bun. Don’t be fooled by the look of this little bun; it’s very filling!

Prawn Dragon Tempura and Dim Sum Platter

Half way through our dessert we notice our neighbors having the Prawn dragon with frozen nitrogen platter. It looked amazing; even though we were starting to feel full. I’d taken off my belt, to let the food find its rightful place within my stomach as it’s earned it’s place and more. We ordered a couple of things off the main menu, prawn dragon tempura and Dim sum platter.

Afternoon tea at Chi kitchen is amazing, this is definitely one you don’t want to miss out. If you’re ever in Oxford circus or Birmingham get yourself to a chi kitchen. GO! but also I’d suggest always trying things that are off menu.
Not only is this a learning experience for your taste buds but also opens up your palette to more options.

Thank you Chi Kitchen for inviting my sister and I to taste your afternoon tea menu. We will definitely be back to try the afternoon tea with Asian twist and the Prawn Dragon Tempura.

1. Christiana Acha
    August 23, 2017 / 12:59 pm

Oh my!! This food is everything. I am not really a tea person but you make it sound so good.

2. Claire Santiago
    August 21, 2017 / 5:38 am

The desserts are drooling. Whenever I would go to a dining place I would always look for a satisfying dessert. It makes my day. The place is nice – well-lit, clean and homey. Gee Villaruz

3. August 19, 2017 / 4:46 pm

everything looks so delicious. I love tea parties. They were so popular here in new york city a couple of years ago and then they just died down or maybe I just don’t hear about them like I used to. I do miss it and I love sampling different teas.

4. Adriana
    August 19, 2017 / 4:44 am

This place looks SO good! What a fun experience too – I have to check this place out when I get there!

5. August 18, 2017 / 1:44 pm

That looks absolutely delicious. I’d love to try this place sometime if I’m every fortunate enough to be in the area.

6. chubskulit
    August 18, 2017 / 1:26 pm

Now that is my kind of place! I love those pandan kaya bun desserts, they are delicious!

7. August 18, 2017 / 1:13 pm

This place looks so adorable. I love all the pictures of food, especially that caramel cheesecake! Delicious!

8. militaryfamof8
    August 18, 2017 / 3:40 am

Wow this is a wonderful place to have a afternoon tea. I would love to visit here with my husband.

9. Marysa
    August 18, 2017 / 3:10 am

Sounds like such a lovely place! And the food looks amazing. I would love to try those spring rolls. I haven’t been to a tea place before, this would be a fun experience.

10. Claudia Krusch
    August 17, 2017 / 11:51 pm

I would love to go for afternoon tea. The Caramel cheesecake looks amazing. Chi Kitchen looks like a great place to check out the next time I am in the area.

11. August 17, 2017 / 9:48 pm

wow this is such a cute place! I would love to go here with my mom!

12. August 17, 2017 / 8:57 pm

Oh wow, this sounded lovely! It’s really cool that you were able to try everything on the menu. It all looked great!

13. Marissa Zurfluh
    August 17, 2017 / 8:49 pm

That liquid nitrogen sure takes the presentation to a whole new level, right!? Wow, thats impressive.

14. August 17, 2017 / 7:24 pm

I have only had the chance to have a proper tea time once. It was an English style tea however. I would love to have an asian inspired tea time! This looks fantastic!

15. Kelly Hutchinson
    August 17, 2017 / 7:23 pm

I have not been to London, but would love to. The afternoon tea at the Chi Kitchen sounds amazing!

16. August 17, 2017 / 6:28 pm

Ummmmmm if I went to this afternoon tea, I would eat ALLL the salmon off all the sushi rice – ha! The chefs would be very angry with me, LOL!

17. Debra Hawkins
    August 17, 2017 / 6:16 pm

I love that they have afternoon tea at a Pan Asian restaurant! What a fun combination. We love trying new Pan Asian restaurants!

• Pam
      August 17, 2017 / 7:16 pm

Me too! Pan Asian is one of my favorite cuisines to try out. So many different great dishes.

18. blm03
    August 17, 2017 / 5:37 pm

I love trying new foods and new restaurants. All of these dishes looks so good, I would love to try them all!

19. August 17, 2017 / 4:08 pm

I have never been to a place that served afternoon tea but I’ve always wanted to go! The Dim Sum platter is totally up my alley!

20. Jeanette
    August 17, 2017 / 2:27 pm

It’s always fun to explore new restaurants. What a fun place to go to that serves Asian food with afternoon tea. I love both so this restaurant would be something I would definitely check out.

21. Alli Smith
    August 17, 2017 / 1:22 pm

I would love to taste the Prawn Dumpling. My mouth is watering! The Prawn Dragon sounds like a winner too!

22. kim@hungryhealthygirl
    August 17, 2017 / 1:16 pm

Looks like a wonderful place and I love the thought of enjoying afternoon tea… with desserts, of course!

23. Tomi_C
    August 17, 2017 / 11:35 am

Nothing like having a relaxing meal with friends and it looks like you and your sister had a great time. This is the first time I’ve seen English tea with an Asian spin and I LOVE IT! Everything looks so tasty and I have to agree with you the Prawn Dragon Roll looks so appetizing.

24. Candy Kage
    August 17, 2017 / 8:58 am

Had English tea and all the goodies that go along with it, but this Asian tea sounds wonderful. New twist and I do love my tea.

25. Blair Villanueva
    August 17, 2017 / 8:56 am

Having a relaxing afternoon tea is the best. Plus lovely cheesecakes, good friends and fun gossips 🙂

26. David Elliott
    August 17, 2017 / 4:38 am

It looks like such a fun tea to have. I know I did a tea party for my daughter when she was six and homemade all the tea food. I love the Asian fusion with the English tea idea. Looks awesome.

27. Jessica Taylor
    August 16, 2017 / 2:42 pm

Oh wow! This looks amazing! I would love to try out an afternoon tea like this!

28. Annette Yedlin
    August 16, 2017 / 1:52 pm

oh my goodness, everything looks to delicious to eat haha What a wonderful place this looks like and that food!!!

29. beautykinguk
    August 16, 2017 / 11:42 am

Ive never had an afternoon tea! I like the sound of it, but im not sure it is for me, if that makes sense?

30. August 16, 2017 / 9:15 am

Whaaaaa! A Japanese-style afternoon tea? I’m down for that – next time I’m in London, I’m there… what were the veggie options like?

Oliver x

31. Gideon Akachukwu Okorie
    August 16, 2017 / 8:45 am

Having tea in the afternoon? Haven’t tried that maybe i would give it a trial and know how it feels.

32. Lauren Kunin
    August 16, 2017 / 6:00 am

Wow that looked so good. Definitely a spin on what an afternoon tea would be like here ! I’ve always wanted to go for tea but never have !

33. August 16, 2017 / 3:01 am

I have never had afternoon tea (American here). But I would love to try an Asian food afternoon tea! Yummers!

34. August 16, 2017 / 2:55 am

I have had their savory courses there before and it was lovely! I really like the sound of their afternoon tea though, their cakes look delicious x

35. August 15, 2017 / 9:46 pm

Oh my goodness that is such a different afternoon tea, I’ve not seen one quite like it before, I would love to try it for myself!

36. August 15, 2017 / 6:55 pm

I love afternoon tea! It’s always such a great moment with my friends and great food! I had never though of an asian food afternoon tea but it really looks amazing

37. Ruth I
    August 15, 2017 / 5:26 pm

I am not a tea lover but you make it sound like it’s awesome to have it and really want to try 🙂 The food looks so delicious, there are so many different dish to choose from.

38. Jenn Goggin
    August 15, 2017 / 3:56 pm

Food looks awesome. You got my belly rumbling looking at all the pictures! I hope to one day travel to the other side of the world so I will keep this place in mind!

• August 17, 2017 / 3:22 pm

Haha the same here, I would love to be able to just reach through and try some. I definitely need to head down to Chi Kitchen to try it.

39. Ankana silva
    August 15, 2017 / 11:42 am

This was a wonderful article that while reading it the pictures made me hungry. I ended up ordering sushi for myself!!! The nitrogen platter sounds something I would have a go at when I am in town !!