Touring the Louvre Museum ~ Sculptures

Louvre Museum in Paris is the worlds largest museum located on the right bank of River Seine. It is a historical monument centrally located and one of the most visited areas in Paris. I have been to Paris a total of three times, visited Disneyland Paris then cruise on the Seine River. With a wedding to attend last weekend outside Paris, we thought it would be criminal not to venture into Paris.

Louvre Museum

The Louvre Museum is located in the Louvre Palace, which was used as a fortress to protect Paris in 12th century. When we went inside, we were able to see the old remnants of the fortress that was once a defensive structure. Though we did not particularly know what to expect from the Louvre I knew I wanted to see the Sculptures.

Getting tickets to enter the Louvre

We had decided to do a city tour of Paris using city line bus which offered a deal on Louvre entrance tickets. We opted to buy those as they were at a discounted rate for Friday and offered queue skipping. You can also purchase tickets outside the Louvre itself but be prepared to queue. We spent 45 euros each for the tickets, I am not sure how much they cost at the door. But we were happy with the price because we used the hop on hop off bus to see other landmarks.

Louvre Museum

Louvre Museum

Upon entering the Louvre, you go through airport style security, then go down the escalator or stays to level 0. This is your starting level filled with auditorium, exhibitions, lavatories, shops and information centers. Going up one level away from the entrance you can find the audio station, where you can hire an audio guide. We opted to hire just one audio guide between us, it was 5 euros not expensive. The audio guide is very handy especially if you have great sense of direction or just want to learn more. I was most interested in the sculptures so after getting lost many times we finally found the sculptures.

Louvre Museum

Inside the Louvre

The Louvre has 5 levels, -2, -1, 0, 1 and 2 with each level offering a museum and/or exhibitions. The museum houses many antiquities, art, sculptures and paintings from all over the world. As mentioned sculptures where more of interest to me than antiquities or paintings. There I spent a great deal staring at the many sculptures and using the audio guide to explain.

Of the sculptures I saw, I was most interested in the European works especially that of French origin. The sculptures section had beautiful courtyards which where so well-lit and so well displayed. I don’t know much {nothing really} about sculptures but I was fascinated by each. The history of each explained by both sculptors and historians just gave it a new light.

Louvre Museum ~ Sculptures

I can not wait to go back to the Louvre and see other sections like paintings and other forms of art. Have you ever been to the Louvre, if so what was your favourite sections?

1. m
    November 10, 2017 / 12:57 pm

what is the name of last sculpture?

2. Attachment Mummy
    August 28, 2017 / 6:24 pm

Oh, I love the Louvre! Hoping to take the smalls to Paris next year, and we will definitely be making a visit. The sculpture is wonderful.

3. Zena's Suitcase
    August 25, 2017 / 9:56 pm

I have been to the Louvre, and I really enjoyed it when I visited. It was a good few years ago now and you’ve reminded me it’s somewhere I have to get back to

4. August 24, 2017 / 11:35 am

I really enjoyed the Louvre when visiting Paris. Such beautiful art work, I personally prefer painting but it is amazing looking at the amazing skill that is needed for these sculptures.

5. Jayne
    August 24, 2017 / 10:39 am

Oh I would love to have a look around there. What a fascinating place 🙂 x

6. Lauren Porter
    August 24, 2017 / 8:28 am

A love visiting the Louvre – it’s always top of our list when we visit Paris 🙂 x

7. kerry norris
    August 24, 2017 / 8:04 am

I adore Paris. I’ve been to the louvre a few times but if I’m honest I’ve never had a proper look in it. We’ve always had rushed visits x

8. August 23, 2017 / 5:32 pm

I have heard of Louvre but never been. Looks great with the interesting looking sculptures.

9. August 23, 2017 / 4:46 pm

This brings back memories, I had my first trip to Paris at 18, but it wasn’t until my second visit a few years later that I visited the lourve. It was so long ago (over a decade!!) that I can’t really remember a specific favourite, I just remember being blown away. I think this shows I need to re – visit!!

10. LucyDorrington
    August 23, 2017 / 11:57 am

I’ve never seen inside The Louvre, so this has been a really interesting post. I’d quite like to go now!

11. August 23, 2017 / 9:11 am

Oh gosh, I love the Paris statues so much – not just in the Louvre, but it feels like on every street corner there’s another one to look at. Beautiful.

12. Kara
    August 23, 2017 / 9:10 am

I have dropped so many hints to hubby about visiting Paris but the nearest I have been is Disney – it looks like you had an amazing break

13. Kira
    August 23, 2017 / 3:43 am

We haven’t been to a museum in absoulately ages . Beautiful here 🙂

14. August 22, 2017 / 10:44 pm

As a fellow museum lover I have been dying to go to the Louvre. I am so glad that you had a good time x

15. Laura Dove
    August 22, 2017 / 10:30 pm

Oh I love the Louvre, it’s possibly my favourite museum and just bursting with the most beautiful art!

16. Stephanie
    August 22, 2017 / 9:12 pm

I’ve never been there before, but it’s stunning. I would get the audio guide so I could learn all about the place too

17. August 22, 2017 / 9:10 pm

I went to the Lourve very quickly a couple of years ago I wish I had been able to spend more time there as there is so many beautiful things to see.

18. August 22, 2017 / 8:56 pm

I have never been to Paris but this is a beautiful museum with the most wonderful statues. I also hate queuing so your tip is a good one, I’d rather pay a little more to skip the queues

19. August 22, 2017 / 5:03 pm

Every time I go to the Louvre I end up finding a new area which I’ve never seen before as it’s not the easiest to work your way around x

20. Helen Jacob-Lloyd
    August 22, 2017 / 11:12 am

Wow it looks like an absolutely stunning museum – so much culture and history 🙂

• August 22, 2017 / 11:36 am

Yes the Louvre has so much culture and history inside its walls