Thursdays at Franco Manca

Thursdays at Franco Manca, well it’s open all week and it’s the cool new hangout spot in Oxford. I have lived in Oxford for almost 4 years now, I am always on a hunt for places to hangout. Places that have a great atmosphere, are close to home and have really great food. Which is why when the invitation to Franco Manca came I was more than delighted.

Regular readers of A July Dreamer would have already read about Dinner and Wine Tasting at Franco Manca. It was such an incredible night of fun, laughter and great food and drinks, a perfect night. As always with on here we share our thoughts in doubles, Miranda and Lucy’s experience. Franco Manca is no exception and here is Lucy’s account of Thursdays at Franco Manca.

When I arrived the staff were so friendly, they quickly directed me to my seat with the rest of the gang. This gave me an opportunity to speak to other bloggers and the restaurant manager. I was able to gain a little bit more insight on the restaurant and the Franco Manca brand. If you’re familiar with Oxford, the restaurant is located on George street in Oxford.

Here are some of the things I learnt about Franco Manca:

• The chefs use Fresh ingredients EVERYDAY, which is ordered the night before.
  • The olives served in the restaurant are imported from Italy, they are SO yummy!!
  • Every Franco Manca has the same decorative theme.
  • We were taught how to make our own sourdough pizzas and the best flour to use.
  • The restaurant seats 60 people, which is totally crazy as the place doesn’t look big enough for 30 people.

Between the chatting with fellow bloggers and snacking on the amazing starters, it was a joyous night. Never have I had the opportunity to sample the food, make pizza and drink endlessly. The drinks were definitely flowing, the cocktails were limitless and the wines out of this world.

Thursdays at Franco Manca

Thursdays at Franco Manca, the Drinks

When I arrived I was initially greeted with a cider to clean my palette before I tucked into the treats. I was then introduced to an applespritizer  followed by variety of wines.
Though I am a novice when it comes to wine drinking I therefore tend to keep an open mind. I felt the wines we had were better than any I have had before. It was particularly surprising just  how suitably adequate the wines were paired with the meals. It truly made me appreciate the wine talk we were given earlier and the importance of authentic food.

Thursdays at Franco Manca

Highlights of the night; the Food

To start off we had 3 platters of; flat bread, salami, cheese, olives and salads with freshly made pesto. Even though this was classed as a starter, I was already starting to get full. This didn’t stop me from clearing my plate and digging in for seconds. If you ever get a chance to take a bite at Franco Manca, request this starter platter. It really feels you up, I got to the point where I was worried I wouldn’t have enough room. We still had the mains to come plus the  pizza we’d later be making.

Thursdays at Franco Manca
The Sourdough Pizzas

As some of you know, I am lactose and cheese is a definite no! As soon as I’d made the restaurant aware, this didn’t seem to be an issue. I was offered plenty of options some included vegan options, which were amazing.

• Pizza 1- Sourdough base with tomato, Courgettes, yellow peppers, basil and verdict = delicious! Even though I was having alternative options they didn’t seem any less appealing or tasty.
  • Pizza 2- 2 different types of salami, ham, spinach and courgettes.

By the time the pizza making sessions was coming along, I was so full I needed the exercise. We saw the master at work, shared the secret recipe to a perfect dough. Then we all got to play and make our very own sourdough, it was such a coll process. We also had the opportunity to go into the kitchen, prepare the dough and cook it ourselves. It is a hot, fantastic and busy kitchen but absolutely incredible.

Franco Manca is perfect for perfect for groups, the food and atmosphere is perfect. If you haven’t been and are look for a cool new hangout spot GO, I felt so at home and welcome. The staff all act like a family and like a family everyone was so friendly you really feel at home.

Franco Manca
6-12 George Street,
Oxford,
OX1 2AF
Opening times:
Monday- Friday: 12.00-11.00pm
Saturday: 11.30am- 11.00pm
Sunday: 12.00-10.00pm

1. Rebecca Swenor
    September 26, 2017 / 10:10 pm

Franco Manca sounds like a great place to dine. I love the idea of authentic foods and this place would be a wonderful place to eat just that. Thanks for sharing this awesome place.

2. September 26, 2017 / 8:10 pm

Sourdough pizzas?! Omg, that sounds so delicious!

3. Megan
    September 25, 2017 / 5:10 pm

I love places that use fresh daily ingredients because you know you are getting fresh and typically locally sourced food. I am drooling at all of these pictures!

4. TheMummyToolbox
    September 23, 2017 / 12:47 pm

This looks like an amazing place to visit! We love italian food so it would really suit us as well

5. kerry norris
    September 23, 2017 / 8:58 am

Sounds fab. Great that they import their ingredients from Italy. That mozerella ball looks amazing x

6. David Elliott
    September 22, 2017 / 10:26 pm

The pizza does look and sound delicious. I love the idea of a sourdough crust. And the toppings look delicious. Sounds like a great place to go with friends.

7. Sarah D
    September 22, 2017 / 7:51 pm

the pizza looks divine – I am a fan of PROPER pizza like this. yum yum

8. Jacqui Odell
    September 22, 2017 / 7:28 pm

Oh yumm! I want to try the sour dough pizza! It looked amazing.

9. Ruth I.
    September 22, 2017 / 3:22 pm

I love pizza with lots of cheese! But it’s great to know that they have options for people who can’t eat cheese. The food looks so delicious and the place is lovely!

10. Heidi Schilling Fowler
    September 22, 2017 / 2:54 pm

I love the at you got to make your own pizzas. I love sourdough, but I’ve never tried it with pizza. Sounds amazing!

11. September 22, 2017 / 2:39 pm

I love the sound of the pizzas. They look so yummy.

12. Jessica Taylor
    September 22, 2017 / 2:29 pm

Wow! That looks great! The pizza looks exceptionally tasty! I definitely need to try it!

13. Gingermommy
    September 22, 2017 / 1:26 pm

This food looks delicious. I have to say that just looking at it made me hungry.

14. Alex BetterTogether
    September 22, 2017 / 9:41 am

The food looks sooo good! We love franco manca ❤

15. Rebecca M. Sanchez
    September 22, 2017 / 2:23 am

Wow, I have to say that everything looks so very yummy! I’ve never been to Oxford, so I can definitely see a visit in my future, and will most definitely make sure to check this place out.

16. Dahn Boquist
    September 21, 2017 / 11:41 pm

Wow this really sounds like a great place. I would have easily filled up on the starters and drinks then would have stuffed myself on the sourdough pizza. Sounds amazing!

17. September 21, 2017 / 11:41 pm

The drinks, the food, the fun. You have way more fun on Thursdays than I do. Id love to try this place sometime in the very near future.

18. mail4rosey
    September 21, 2017 / 11:39 pm

I don’t think I’ve ever had a sourdough pizza. I’d sure love to try one though!

19. Battle Mum (BattleMum)
    September 21, 2017 / 11:23 pm

Sounds like you had a great evening. I’ve never heard of them before but if I’m ever in Oxford I’ll make a point of visiting!

20. Nadia Martine Eian Koch
    September 21, 2017 / 10:55 pm

The food there looks very tasty. I’ve only been to Oxford once, but would love to visit again and will make sure to check this place out.

21. Jayne
    September 21, 2017 / 7:04 pm

This sounds like my kind of place! Fresh ingredients gets a big thumbs up from me. Nice to hear you had a fab time x

22. September 21, 2017 / 6:07 pm

Mmm, this place looks delicious. I love to eat and the pizza looks amazing. My mom is lactose free as well, so I’m glad there’s options.

23. Holly
    September 21, 2017 / 2:26 pm

This sounds like a blast! This would be so much fun to do with friends. I totally want to go now!

24. September 21, 2017 / 1:30 pm

What a great sounding place to go for a meal – I love that they use such fresh ingredients I always think that makes such a huge difference.

25. Michelle Gwynn Jones
    September 21, 2017 / 10:59 am

I was at a restaurant once, not this one, that taught the guest how to make their own pizza. It was so much fun.

26. September 21, 2017 / 10:29 am

The food just got me drooling here and I have nothing in the house, guess it’s time to plan on what will me on my menu.

27. September 21, 2017 / 8:08 am

OMG, the food looks amazing! absolutely delicious! I love that they use fresh product sourced in Italy everyday. Franco Manca is a place i’d love to go!

28. Vyjay Rao
    September 21, 2017 / 5:14 am

The Franco Manca looks like a great place to hang out in and have some lovely food. The fact that fresh ingredients are used everyday and Olives com from Italy, lends the place an extra aura.

• September 21, 2017 / 6:13 am

I couldn’t agree more Vyjay, it is such an incredible place and we were honoured to be asked to be part of the event.