48-HRS in Rome: The Highlights

Two weekends ago I spent 48-hrs in Rome, a city that has been on my travel bucketlist for years. In November I managed to tick this incredible city off my list, Rome was definitely not made in a day. With impressive tourist spots like the Colosseum and the Vatican it’s easy to see why millions flock to this city. Rome is a city that will leave an impression on you, it has certainly left an impact on my life. Before I get into detail, here are some of the highlights of my visit and why you too should visit.

48-HRS in Rome: The Highlights

As most of my travels they begin with me randomly searching for weekend flights to somewhere in Europe. This time I was fortunate to find a cheap flight for Rome and even cheaper if I returned on Monday. Took the day off because I knew the drive to and from the airport would be a killer. When it comes to booking hotels I always use Booking.com, using my link for a 10% discount. Disclosure – this is an affiliate link, I earn £20 if you book through it.

Rome highlights

The initial apartment I booked turned out to be worse for wear, I ended up booking another for the night. I stayed in the original apartment as I was too tired to find another that very day. Regardless this didn’t dampen my time in Rome not one bit and can not recommend visiting Rome enough. I did manage to find a 4 star hotel which was located right in the centre of Rome.

When I flew to Rome I had no specific itinerary, to be honest I just wanted to rest. There is so much to see and do in Rome and 48 hours was certainly not enough. But I felt if I could see two places high on my mental list I would be happy and content. All I wanted was to make sure I saw The Vatican City & Sistine Chapel and the Colosseum with a tour inside one of them. I managed to get a ticket to tour the Colosseum but not the Vatican which is fine as even the outside is glorious to be seen.

Tips on getting around in Rome!!

• From the airport (Ciampino) – there are several bus companies to choose from and take about an hour to get into central Rome. But make sure to check when the buses start running again in the morning especially if you have an early flight.
  • Sightseeing tour companies, I only trust one company and that’s city-sightseeing and use it in every city. They often have deals on-board for popular attractions, I got mine for the Colosseum on the bus.
  • Public transport is easy to navigate and people are friendly enough to direct you to the right bus. Buy tickets before boarding the bus and validate upon entry
Pin for later!!

1. December 14, 2017 / 3:40 pm

Loving the details 😀 I have a dream to go on short trips in future and visit the world.

2. Emmanuel Damian
    December 13, 2017 / 9:13 am

I love Rome! I was there in March and I saw the Colliseo for the first time! I had a selfie with it!

3. Gina Shirley
    December 13, 2017 / 1:48 am

This definitely make me want to put this on the bucket list. Awesome detail and ideas

4. Leo T. Ly
    December 12, 2017 / 1:35 pm

Rome is also one of the cities that I want to visit too as I love the ancient structures. I definitely would want to visit the Colosseum when I am in Rome.

5. Jennifer G
    December 11, 2017 / 4:02 pm

This sounds like it was an amazing trip! I love that it was a 2 day trip like this. So neat.

6. December 11, 2017 / 3:56 pm

Must of been fun to travel to Rome within 2 days. Great recap.

7. Adaleta Avdic
    December 11, 2017 / 3:51 pm

Wow, Rome looks absolutely magical! So much history and amazing sights to see.

8. Chuck Vargas
    December 11, 2017 / 11:48 am

Such a beautiful and picturesque place. Would love to visit Rome someday!!

9. David E
    December 10, 2017 / 6:42 pm

I know that I really need to make it out to Rome someday. It looks spectacular. Between the art and the history, there is no place like it. And The Coliseum is just incredible.

10. Claudia Krusch
    December 10, 2017 / 5:37 pm

I always use Booking.com when I travel. I would love to go to Rome. I have always wanted to go to Europe.

11. Megan
    December 10, 2017 / 4:26 pm

I had a great time when we went to Rome. The coliseum blew my mind, I couldn’t believe I was standing in a place that was so old and so much history.

12. Bobbi
    December 10, 2017 / 4:11 pm

Rome is definitely on my bucket list! I would love to be able to visit there one day.

13. Suzanne Spiegoski-Decamps
    December 10, 2017 / 5:21 am

Sounds like you made the most out of your 48 hr trip! Rome is such a beautiful place to be with someone you love. <3

14. Ophelia Tang
    December 9, 2017 / 8:03 pm

Rome is such an amazing place. It is so full of culture and history. Thanks for sharing.

15. Tracey Peach
    December 9, 2017 / 7:16 pm

What a amazing place to visit!

16. Courtney Blacher
    December 9, 2017 / 1:08 pm

Rome is one of my bucket list next year! I’m really excited! I love those gorgeous photos, it makes me feel great and exciting!

17. Thrifty Frugal Mom
    December 9, 2017 / 3:18 am

Ah, your pictures bring back memories! We visited Rome 8 years ago and had a little less than 2 days there. We didn’t get inside the Colosseum but made it inside the Vatican as well as some of the Catacombs. It was a trip that I’ll never forget. The Catacombs and being at the Colosseum were so sobering to me…so many people lost their life there or were hiding for their life. Incredible to be able to visit a little history!

18. December 9, 2017 / 12:56 am

I am so jealous! I’ve always wanted to go to Rome. I’m glad you had an amazing time. I’m glad the public transportation is easy to use.

19. December 9, 2017 / 12:50 am

Oh my goodness it sounds like you had a lovely time in Rome and really made the most of your 48 hours in such a beautiful city.

20. December 8, 2017 / 8:21 pm

This is giving me travel envy, I need to start travelling more.

21. December 8, 2017 / 4:14 pm

It looks and sounds as if you spent those 48 hours very well. I’d love to visit Rome one of these days.