Keeping Your Home Safe for Your Elderly Relatives

It is often said we are living in a ‘ageing society’, there are more older people than the young. Growing older comes with its own set of issues as well as a great appreciation for life. My parents are under 60 but already certain things are becoming a little bit harder. I come from a culture where you look after your ageing parents yourself than sending them to a home. There is nothing wrong with find a better place for our elderly relatives, it has to be the best option for the family. With that being said, I am happy to share this guest post with you on home safety for your elderly relatives.

Elderly, Home. Home Safety, Safe Home

According to the NHS, one in three over 65s living at home alone will have at least one fall per year; falls which can cause serious injuries requiring medical attention. Trips, falls and accidents in the home happen to the best of us, but they can be much more devastating to your elderly relatives. So how can you safeguard their home to give you peace of mind when you leave them after a visit?

Safeguarding should also allow your relative or friend to be:

• More independent
  • Secure
  • Comfortable
  • Self-sufficient
  • and importantly more Mobile

Safeguarding should not leave your relative imprisoned in their home; it should encourage them to feel safe while being comfortable and able to fend for themselves. Some adaptations may be necessary to help them become more mobile or to help with day-to-day tasks such as cooking and washing themselves.

You may want to consider:

• Elevating toilet seats
  • Adding grab bars in hallways and bathrooms
  • Adding a chair to the shower
  • Installing bed rails
  • Adding ramps to doorways to avoid trips
  • Installing a panic button

Assess the home first for potential areas where an accident may occur or there could be a hazard. This in-depth article on making your home safe for seniors should help you make the adjustments you and your relative needs.

1. Stephanie
    January 9, 2018 / 9:15 pm

Also rugs are a trip hazard too, so nice these too. Great tips

2. January 6, 2018 / 2:40 pm

I think it’s so easy for us to forget to make our homes safe for the elderly. We think about doing it for toddlers but never really for the elderly. Such an important post xx

3. Battlemum
    January 6, 2018 / 11:53 am

It’s so important to think about the safety of elderly relatives and friends. One of our friends grandmother’s had a nasty fall in her home two years ago and it was lucky she could reach the phone. She was badly hurt and it affected her confidence.

4. Cecile Blaireau
    January 6, 2018 / 11:16 am

It is so important. My neighbour was self-sufficient so far but she is not anymore and have to move. I am so sad as she was so lovely with us… I wish I supported her more now 🙁

5. Sonia Cave
    January 6, 2018 / 10:06 am

We have a totally impractical wooden slippery staircase that would be a nightmare for elderly people if and when they visited. Even our children trip all over the place on it!

6. January 6, 2018 / 9:51 am

I’ve had some adaptations carried out to my Mum’s house recently. She will be going in hospital within the next month and I’m pleased that when she gets home from her heart surgery that her home is ready and waiting for her and suitable for her needs.

7. Helen @Talking_Mums
    January 5, 2018 / 8:20 pm

My mum has had to have adaptations to her house including grab rails and a stair lift. Mobility is definitely an issue with her and her husband. I do worry about the future for them.

8. January 5, 2018 / 2:49 pm

I remember my grandparents used to have a stair lift and hand rails to help them a bit more as they got older. I think it is so important to keep elderly people in their own homes for as long as possible, so they can feel settled and independent. Great informative post!

9. Chloe O'Keeffe
    January 5, 2018 / 2:21 pm

This is a great, informative post! Making your elderly relatives comfortable is so important

10. Talya Stone
    January 5, 2018 / 2:06 pm

My mum is very old and frail and this is often something we have discussed. It’s so important that they can keep safe and mobile.