Take Twelve Trips – March 2018 2 #take12trips

Take Twelve Trips is a travel challenge I joined back in 2016 to help maximise my travels and explore the world. The world has truly been my oyster and I am excited to visit more places with my loved ones. Recently {last weekend} I was in Athens, Greece where I spent an incredible 48 hours. The OH recently asked me if I actually get to do and see anything in just 48 hours. It surprised him just how much I can pack into a getaway and how much I tend to see during these excursions.

“The best things in LIFE are the PEOPLE we love, the PLACES we visit and the MEMORIES we make”.

This quote hangs in my bedroom and everyday I read it to myself like an affirmation of sort. Traveling has been my greatest adventure so far, I have found myself becoming a storyteller. The places I have been, the memories I have made and the friends I made has made me whole again.

Looking back over the last 2+ years, I am glad I decided to join the Take Twelve Trips travel challenge. The challenge is not set in stone, you choose when during that month you want to travel. You also chose where you want to travel too whether home or abroad. I have often chosen to travel abroad more than home, this has been a personal preference.

Take Twelve Trips – March 2018 2 #take12trips

I can not exactly remember when I booked my trip to Athens, but I suspect it was between Christmas and New Year. Often times I spend some alone time and just start searching for good deals of flights and hotels. Those who know me know I always book my hotels via Booking.com {affiliate link} but recently I used Expedia. What I have loved about using Expedia is that on some hotels and flights, I get nectar points. The trip to Athens was no different and it earned me loads of double nectar points.

Because Athens wasn’t the only trip I booked months in advance, I only started preparing for it a few days before. Whilst I am organised in most areas in my life, putting together an itinerary isn’t an area I am organised in. You wouldn’t believe me but I only learned how I was going to get from airport to hotel on the day. I put together a rough itinerary the morning of my day 1 in Athens. But that’s ok, I love getting lost but also not just sticking to the touristy places.

Getting around Athens

When I booked my hotel via Expedia, I didn’t really check that my hotel wasn’t in Athens. It turns out I booked a hotel in Piraeus, 30 minutes away from Athens driving. But all was not lost, using the X96 bus from the airport to Piraeus port I arrived in no time at all.

Having a hotel so close to the port had its advantages especially with 20 degree heat we hard. I was able to enjoy my stroll along the port and check out the shops that docked in and out of Piraeus. After an hour soaking up the sun, I got on a train from Piraeus and got off at monskirati. This allowed me a nice walk to famous flea market, Hidrain’s library and finally to Acropolis. The hike up Acropolis was definitely worth it and the view of Athens just incredible. After 45 minutes to an hour I left to catch a tour bus which took us to most famous sights with a history lesson.

I enjoyed checking out the sights on the bus and made note of those I wish to return to the next day. Sadly for me 25th March turned out to be there Independence Day and most streets where blocked off by the military. I still managed to visit the Temple of Zeus and other sites but just from the outside as most were closed for the holidays.

Athens was definitely worth the visit, in between the homeless persons, the dirty streets lies the gem of Greek history. It’s not the cleanest of cities but everything you see has history, from the old buildings to the new building. There is a mismatch in architecture in some parts but in others it just adds to the charm of the city.

This post contains an affiliate link which gives you £10 for booking via my link and I earn a small percentage without incurring any more than your booking price.

1. Kate Williams
    April 1, 2018 / 9:53 pm

I’ve been to Greece a few times but never to Athens, it sounds amazing as there’s so much history there.

2. April 1, 2018 / 8:05 pm

I love the take 12 trips feature. We are off to Greece this year I am searching air bnbs

3. Mellissa Williams
    April 1, 2018 / 6:02 pm

I am loving reading about your trips this year – Athens seems like such a fascinating city to visit!

4. OhNikka
    April 1, 2018 / 2:48 am

I love this idea! I need to take more mini vacations and this is the perfect excuse!

5. Jenni Grainger
    April 1, 2018 / 1:31 am

I think I went to athens when I was younger with my parents. I would love to visit again now I can appreciate it properly and remember it all x

6. ckrusch
    April 1, 2018 / 1:28 am

I love reading about your travels. I love traveling too! So much fun!

7. Shannon Graham
    April 1, 2018 / 12:22 am

I have a really big trip coming up. I am so excited to get it started!

8. Helen Clark
    March 31, 2018 / 9:56 pm

I love the idea of take 12 trips, off to look in to that more. I’ve never been to Athens but it’s somewhere on my to see list. The history there is just amazing.

9. Kacie Morgan
    March 31, 2018 / 9:32 am

I love the idea of #Take12Trips and Athens has been on my radar for a while now.

10. March 31, 2018 / 8:13 am

I’ve loved reading your travel adventures over the last few years. You’re lucky to have access to such cheap flights to get places!

11. March 31, 2018 / 2:52 am

I have never been to Athens, or Europe at all. Sounds like an amazing place to visit!

12. March 31, 2018 / 12:20 am

My hubby and I have been to Athens from a cruise getaway we went to. I loved everything there and the scenery is phenomenal. This brought back so many memories. Thank you for sharing. Lovely photos btw!

13. March 30, 2018 / 11:35 pm

I have heard wonderful things about traveling to Athens. I have never been, but maybe one day I will.

14. March 30, 2018 / 4:36 pm

Athens is so beautiful and I would love to go back and explore more! I think it’s awesome that you chose this as one of your destinations for the challenge!

15. March 30, 2018 / 4:35 pm

I’ve never been to Athens before. It does sound like a great place. It can be fun getting lost in a new area.

16. Jeanette
    March 30, 2018 / 3:52 pm

That is quite a challenge to do. I would love to travel all the time. There are so many places in this world visit I feel like I will never get all of them. I will have to live vicariously through you until I can do some traveling on my own.

17. March 30, 2018 / 3:52 pm

How fun, it’s always great to have challenges in life, but what better to have travel challenges. Athens sounds amazing ☺️

18. March 30, 2018 / 3:19 pm

That sounds like a really fun travel challenge. I would love to travel more in the next few years. I have always wanted to visit Athens .

19. March 30, 2018 / 3:07 pm

Oh it is a shame that Athens wasn’t the cleanest of places and there was a lot of homeless. But it sounds like your hotel really worked out for you!

20. Alli Smith
    March 30, 2018 / 12:51 pm

I love that quote! And I always love reading about your latest adventures. I’ve never been to Athens before and would love to visit one of these days.

21. Candy Kage
    March 30, 2018 / 12:50 pm

We have been all over Greece. Athens has so much history and to see all the different ruins oh my gosh what an experience. Don’t forget to get out the the islands.

22. Tasheena N. Womack
    March 30, 2018 / 12:48 pm

It’s amazing how much can get done in 48 hours when you plan. It’s nice you were still able to sight see on their Independence Day. Greece is definitely on my bucket list.

23. Daniels Beitss
    March 30, 2018 / 12:19 pm

I love Athens, it is such an amazing place. I love stepping back into history and seeing the anicent ruins. This is one place I would travel back to.