What to wear for an interview

When it comes to job interviews, first impressions truly matter. It gives the interviewer an idea of who you are before the interview has even began. This instant impression you give off from the offset of important in deciding how this interview will go. Therefore it makes absolutely sense to know what to wear for an interview.

What to wear for an interview

The general rule of thumb is to dress to impress and definitely better than your Sunday best. Your CV has spoken long before you do, do it justice by complimenting your skills with your attire. The idea of knowing what to wear for an interview is so that the interviewer knows you want the job. Because most times, interviews are just a formulate to evaluate compatibility with the team. In this article we aim to give you an idea of what is acceptable attire for attending an interview.

Related: Beauty tips to consider for a job interview

What to wear for an interview

Attending an interview for a job you want can be a truly daunting feeling, and that is a normal reaction. But take comfort in knowing that, you were asked to attend an interview because you have the skills. Sometimes it can be hard to formulate the skills you possess to your potential boss as nerves get the better of you. That is why it is important to practice before hand, review your CV and understand why they asked for an interview. Because at the end of the day, it’s all about demonstrating whats on the CV in real life. And in most cases demonstration starts the minute you walk through those doors, your attire speaks.

When it comes to choosing what to wear for an interview for women, you have a couple of options;

• Play it safe with a nice knee-length dress and a blazer but be mindful of colours you wear
  • Display your confidence in a knee-length skirt, nice simple blouse and blazers
  • Or go full force with a nicely tailored suit for a more business look

For men, whilst you are limited on choices there are still enough choices to work with;

• Full business man mode with a tailored suit complimented with a cute paper pouch case
  • Smart business attire instead of a suit you pair it with a colourful blazer
  • Or better yet a simple tailored trousers, shirt and tie

Dressing for an interview is all about wearing something you can be comfortable in. Your everyday slacks might not cut it for a corporate or any office role but adding a tie and blazer could. When it comes to choosing shoes, trainers, flip-flops or any open toed shoes are a no-no. For women when choosing shoes, don’t go above a 2″ heel to keep it smart and businesslike. Where as men, smart shoes are the best especially brown or black shoes are your best bet.

Once you’ve nailed your interview attire, now focus on being yourself and prepare adequately.

Job interviews are like first dates, good impressions counts, awkwardness will occur and outcomes are unpredictable.

1. May 3, 2018 / 6:44 pm

Choosing what to wear for an interview is so hard, I know I had so much trouble – but once you have found the right outfit it definitely helps settle a few nerves

2. May 3, 2018 / 4:34 pm

Great tips! I would literally have no idea! I would probably have gone with a white shirt though, you can’t beat it!

3. May 3, 2018 / 8:00 am

Interesting post- I like your suggestions but I don’t think I would feel comfortable in a knee length skirt or dress. Luckily, I don’t need to go to any interviews at the moment!

• May 3, 2018 / 3:05 pm

I think it is a personal choice, dress in what you’re comfortable in but make sure its interview appropriate.

4. Joanna
    May 3, 2018 / 7:15 am

I have only been to a a couple of interviews in my life, but I have always dressed up elegant and respectfully. I did get the job both times.

5. Sarah Ann
    May 2, 2018 / 9:19 pm

For interviews in the past I always wore suits or a nice skirt and blouse. I remember interviewing people for a position once and I couldn’t believe how some of them dressed. It’s definitely important to be smart and create the right first impression.

• May 3, 2018 / 5:42 am

Oh I remember interviewing people and just thought wow, you couldn’t even make an effort to dress up for corporate position.

6. May 2, 2018 / 8:30 pm

This is such a good post! I think as long as you wear something you are comfortable in and is smart then you will have confidence throughout an interview x

• May 3, 2018 / 5:39 am

Thank you Charli and so true, being comfortable is the first step

7. Danielle
    May 2, 2018 / 11:49 am

I think wearing something you are comfortable in is so important!

8. May 2, 2018 / 9:01 am

Trouser or skirt suits aren’t really for me, as I don’t work in a corporate environment. So I’ll stick to a pretty dress instead x

• May 3, 2018 / 5:27 am

Pretty dresses are nice too for an interview, they just need to be long enough and fitting.

9. May 1, 2018 / 10:12 pm

My mummy is a creative, so wearing a suit is a no no, its usually smart casual or jeans and trainers for interviews, she’s not the norm though x

10. May 1, 2018 / 3:14 pm

Interview attire is so crucial isn’t it. It sets off the image you want to give straight away!

11. May 1, 2018 / 2:57 pm

I used to struggling wandering what to wear for an interview. reading your post I think it makes total sense to go for knee length dress or dress suit

12. Jem
    May 1, 2018 / 2:18 pm

I haven’t been to an interview for a long time it feels. I can’t even remember what I wore last time, probably something black and comfortable.

13. May 1, 2018 / 2:17 pm

I haven’t been for an interview in yonks. Last time I did I bought a new Lewin’s suit and nailed the interview.

14. May 1, 2018 / 12:54 pm

Wow the last time I was at an interview I was doing the interview. It’s good to stay up to date with the appropriate dress code. I think I’d need to get a new outfit in if I was going for one now.

15. May 1, 2018 / 11:36 am

Great and helpful post. It’s beem such a long-time since I’ve had an interview so this advice is handy.

16. May 1, 2018 / 12:13 am

I found it really hard dressing for the interview for my current job as we were told it was casual and that I shouldn’t dress smart and I wasn’t used to that so didn’t really know how to dress x

17. April 30, 2018 / 11:45 pm

I like how you compared job interviews like being similar to first dates because I have often thought that to myself before. It does depend on the job interview but in the past a nice tailored suit dress or skirt has always been my go to uniform!

18. hannah wood
    April 30, 2018 / 8:11 pm

My gosh my last interview was over 10 years ago and been in the same place for so long so this is a good base to see what others have on now.

19. April 30, 2018 / 7:15 pm

I think I’m lucky working in digital media where everyone tends to wear smart casual rather than full on suits. I’ve always chosen something smart but comfortable for interviews! These are some really great tips.

20. April 30, 2018 / 7:04 pm

It has been way to long since I last went for a interview so this is definitely something I would need to read before hand, in fact I would probably need to go shopping first!