What-to pack for a summer city break – #tipsandtricks

Are you off on a summer city break soon or in the near future? I have been on countless and thought I share what essentials items to pack. Obviously we are all different but the following items are a must. Make sure to check out our Summer Essentials, these items you can take with you on a city break.

summer city break

A city break by definition is a holiday spent in city, it can be abroad or it can be local. If you’re planning a city break in London, here are some things you can do Along the Thames. But maybe your city break is abroad to cities like; Rome, Barcelona or Venice. Obviously have mentioned places I have been to myself and can not recommend enough. Regardless of where your city break is, we’ve put together some must haves for various summer city breaks.

What-to pack for a summer city break

The clue in what to pack for a summer city break is in the name, summer and city. You can choose to pack as much or as little as needed, depends on location. Regardless, items you pack should be those that you will be happy to have during your stay. Items that are essential to the trip and not because they might look nice. The two types of city breaks I have been on are;

City Break – Beach location

Some cities like Barcelona have a beach and it is still a city break especially if it is a weekend affair. When it comes to such city breaks I make sure to pack my lightest beach towel and SPF.

City Break – City location

Other cities like Rome it’s a proper city break and for such I always pack my trainers and flip-flops. I am not one to sit around all day doing nothing but rather love exploring.

summer city break

Regardless of what type of summer city break you book, the following items are essential to take with you.

• Light and breathable clothing – one thing I hate is sweating when I am out and about. I very much prefer lighter clothing and if breathable even better. I often buy light items from Primark because well the materials are often so light it’s not suitable for any other season.
  • Sunglasses – I never go anywhere without my sunglasses regardless of the season. Putting on them is where I fall short but I always take them with me. I had several pairs which somehow have broken in the last few weeks.
  • Summer hat – a summer city break is not complete without a lovely summer hat. I have a couple of fedoras that I rock most of the time but a straw summer hat is just as good.
  • Sunscreen – I have mentioned this already but never travel without sunscreen to protect your skin. I know some people don’t care much for it but people sun cancer is real. Take as much of it as needed and protect your skin always.
  • Wedges – often I like to go out for an evening meal when enjoying a city break. I can up the outfit of shorts and top by adding some nice wedges and big glasses. But if you prefer other types of shoes, that too is fine, it’s all about what you’re most comfortable in.

There other things that I could include on what to pack or a summer city break list is money. But I would like to think that is common sense even though I know it’s not common. If you’re traveling abroad, insurance and documentation like passports should be a no brainer.

As mentioned above, take items that you will need on a city break not what will look good. What items do you always take with you?

1. July 17, 2018 / 6:55 pm

This is a great list of summer essentials. I pack all of the same items. You can never be too prepared. Maybe that’s why I always overpack lol.

2. July 17, 2018 / 6:46 pm

This is a great packing list. I always try to wear comfortable shoes and bring my sunnies. It really does make such a huge difference.

3. July 17, 2018 / 4:19 pm

It’s so nice to be prepared when you’re packing for a vacation. During the summer, light and comfy clothes are a must! I think this guide is perfect for those going on a city break this summer!

4. July 17, 2018 / 2:58 pm

I like that your list isn’t loaded with things that I’m second guessing. You’ve chosen everything that I would want to make sure to have on a summer vacation.

5. Tim
    July 17, 2018 / 2:17 pm

Sunglasses are often overlooked but so important to always have handy when traveling. Nice list of items to pack for a city getaway.

6. July 17, 2018 / 7:57 am

Comfy shoes are a MUST no matter where I travel to, beach or city. I refuse to be uncomfortable while I’m away from home! LOL!

7. July 17, 2018 / 5:54 am

These tips will come in handy if I am able to take the Staycation I have been planning for my family,

8. July 17, 2018 / 12:56 am

Love all these essentials! Instead of wedges though, I’d pack reliable sneakers that are softly cushioned and comfortable. I can’t stand wearing heels while walking long distances.

9. July 16, 2018 / 10:55 pm

Light, breathable clothing, sunglasses and sunscreen is a must. If I’m traveling I generally only do one bag so it’s sneakers for me particularly if exploring.

10. candy
    July 16, 2018 / 4:56 pm

I love to wear easy summer dress with bathing suit underneath. Keep a bag packed to grab and go with everything you listed. Makes for a great city break.

11. July 16, 2018 / 3:24 pm

It would be great to have the choice to visit cities like Barcelona and Rome. I generally like to get away from cities but these seem like places to be any time of year.

12. July 16, 2018 / 3:08 pm

Sunscreen is very important to avoid being sun burned. This is a great list and I have all of these when we had our summer vacay.

13. July 16, 2018 / 2:46 pm

I love the list of necessities! I could not do the wedges but just got oofas since my feet have to be comfortable and we usually walk a lot. They are not the prettiest sandal though, I do admit. 🙂

14. July 16, 2018 / 12:45 pm

Sunglasses and light and breathable clothing are always on my list when traveling or just getting out for the day. I need to start wearing sunscreen and invest in a good hat because I’ve been getting a sunburn just from walking around our city going from store to store. Great ideas and I plan to use them.

15. July 16, 2018 / 12:21 pm

I never leave the house without my sunglasses! If I’m outside, I have them on. Light and breathable clothing are a must for me too.

16. July 16, 2018 / 12:18 pm

It cracked me up that you were throwing around cities like Barcelona and Rome! That seems so exotic to me! You had great advice, even if you do have to say Money! 🙂

17. robin rue
    July 16, 2018 / 12:17 pm

We just got back from a week in Charleston and it was HOT down there. I was SO glad I packed sundresses to wear otherwise I might have melted!!

18. July 8, 2018 / 4:14 pm

I live in my Converse when I’m sightseeing in a city, but I always pack a pair of pretty sandals for the evening. I have some that are really light, but still look dressy enough for going out for dinner.

19. July 8, 2018 / 1:37 pm

Sunscreen is a mulct especially a factor 50. I’ve got two ready for my next holiday so we can reapply through the day. I’m making sure I have sunglasses for everyone too at the moment.

20. July 8, 2018 / 10:34 am

My essentials are sandals and sun cream. I don’t take heels when i go away

21. July 7, 2018 / 6:00 pm

Wedges would be a no-no for me – need light and comfy shoes for lots of walking

22. July 7, 2018 / 8:40 am

I will always have a face mist of some kind in my bag to spritz when I get hot x

23. July 6, 2018 / 5:37 pm

I always find it so hard to pack, in fact I am amazing at overpacking even for a night away! Always good to have some ideas of essentials for sure

24. July 6, 2018 / 10:19 am

Sunglasses and sun cream are always a must whenever you go! Thanks for sharing this post 🙂

25. July 6, 2018 / 10:14 am

I find a super light weight jumpsuit the best for warm weather city breaks. They prevent chub rub, stay light and breezy, and look amazing come day or night.
    C x