5 Free Things to-do in Cologne, Germany

Cologne is the fourth largest metropolitan city and has a lot to offer its tourist. The city enjoys the closeness to Belgium and The Netherlands which it borders with. In this article, we aim to share 5 free things you can do in the city. We’ve also put together a Complete Guide to Cologne for first-time visitors.

5 Free Things to-do in Cologne

As a budget traveller, I am always looking for free things that I can do during my trips. There are things that are unavoidable and require payment, but not everything. On my recent visit to Cologne, I found 5 free things to do in the city.

Lock Love @ Hohenzollern Bridge

Cologne is not only known for it’s Cathedral but also the love lock bridge near the Cathedral. When I visit the city I was amazed at how many love locks they were. If you wish to lock your love then make sure to bring your own lock and key. Unlike other cities, Cologne doesn’t have street vendors who sell the locks.

Fischmarkt Your Eyes

With the beautiful coloured buildings in the old town, its hard not the Fisch your eyes. Located close to the river rhine bank, the beautiful house buildings give the area a nice colour. The coloured houses are now restaurants but have been rebuilt many times more so after the WWII.

Send a prayer

Cologne is not short of churches but you don’t need to enter all of them to send a prayer. You can visit many churches and admire the beautiful architect which church has. The city had twelve Romanesque churches around the old town (Altstadt), all beautiful landmarks. The churches were buillt during the roman times unfortunately these churches were destroyed during the world war.

Watch the Sunset

One thing I loved about visiting Cologne was watching the sunset from the otherside of the Rhine. Whilst the view is glorious wherever you are on the Rhine, some places are more pretty. I was able to join the locals for some excellent skyline views of the city. Make sure to bring some drinks preferbly Cologne beer to toast to the view.

Relax by the river banks

River Rhine on both sides offers an opportunity to sit and enjoy the view, taking it all in. I loved how full the area was but wasn’t busy at the same time. People took their time, enjoyed their view and enjoyed the warm weather.

There are many other free things to do in Cologne, but the aforementioned are what I managed to do. I was able to read some lovely posts about Cologne before and after my visit;

41 Things to do in Cologne/ 20 Things to do in Cologne

1. August 29, 2018 / 10:36 pm

Free things are grand aren’t they? These look like awesome things to do in.

2. August 29, 2018 / 5:56 pm

I’ve never considered visiting Germany, but I have to say, it’s really beautiful. Looking at your photos, it has changed my mind.

3. August 29, 2018 / 8:10 am

Wow! There’s certainly a fair few free things to do in Cologne. We love a list which starts with ‘Free’!

4. August 29, 2018 / 2:56 am

Sunsets and relaxation, my kind of trip! I hope to make it there sometime soon. Stunning photos!

5. August 29, 2018 / 1:48 am

I’ve never been to any European countries! Cologne is on my list. My family is from Germany so I’d love to visit!

6. August 29, 2018 / 12:51 am

I have never been to Germany, it’s on my travel bucket list. The architecture looks really colorful. I’ve heard of the fence with the locks.

7. Pam
    August 29, 2018 / 12:10 am

There is a love lock bridge near us and I think it is so cool! I would love to see the one in Cologne.

8. August 28, 2018 / 11:17 pm

Western Europe has the most exquisite cathedrals. I would love to visit this one, It looks spectacular. Of course, you can’t beat free.

9. August 28, 2018 / 10:45 pm

It’s so important to know of free things to do when you’re traveling somewhere. I am glad you shared this, I am sharing with my online friends who travel to Germany frequently.

10. August 28, 2018 / 4:15 pm

I love the colorful houses! I’m saving this post for later, one day we will get over there to see it!

11. August 28, 2018 / 2:28 pm

I have never been to Cologne Germany but there’s definitely a lot to see you there. I love how much character there is in the cities. I wish where we live had some of that character still. I cannot wait to explore this city.

12. August 28, 2018 / 2:28 pm

I love going to lock bridges and seeing them all. It’s so relaxing seeing a sunset too

13. August 28, 2018 / 2:18 pm

My husband was born in Germany as his dad was in the Service so one day I would like to take my son here so he can see where his dad and grandparents lived.

14. August 28, 2018 / 2:17 pm

This is a city I had never heard of before but it is so quaint and beautiful. I loved that bridge and the colorful houses would be great to visit and all for free, a nice deal on your tour.

15. August 28, 2018 / 2:05 pm

While I have been to Germany a few times, for some reason Cologne has never crossed my mind! Next time and you’ve show a lot here.

16. Heather
    August 28, 2018 / 1:51 pm

I just love visit Europe. There is so much history there. I’ve only been to Italy but I would love to visit some other European countries.

17. August 28, 2018 / 1:34 pm

I’ve always wanted to visit Germany. Cologne Germany looks beautiful. I can’t wait to visit one day, and visit these locations.

18. August 28, 2018 / 1:25 pm

I always love free! I need to get to Cologne. It’s such a lovely town. I love all the colors. I know for sure I’d like to watch the sunset. Maybe my husband and I would leave a lock!

19. August 28, 2018 / 1:21 pm

It sounds like there is so much to do in Cologne! I would love to visit the lock love I think they can look so lovely and definitely something I would love to see for myself.

20. candy
    August 28, 2018 / 1:13 pm

We were in Cologne many years ago and went several times while we lived in Europe. Nice to see it is still a wonderful place to visit and do things. Free is always the best.

21. August 28, 2018 / 10:12 am

Looks like you had a fabulous time in Cologne. Watching the sunset must have been so special

22. August 28, 2018 / 7:16 am

It’s great that you found so many free things to do in Cologne. What’s more, these look also romantic and special. I wonder how many locks there are now in Lock Love @ Hohenzollern Bridge.

23. hannah
    August 27, 2018 / 9:13 am

I’d love to watch the sunset. Especially in the late summer

24. August 26, 2018 / 5:39 pm

Friends of mine went to Cologne recently, it looks like a great city to spend time in, I love lazing by the river. Mich x

25. August 26, 2018 / 5:35 pm

A lot of my friends have been there in the past few months and now I can easily see why they’re telling me to go! Adding it on the list, right this minute!

26. Hannah Wood
    August 26, 2018 / 4:19 pm

Good to know as lots of my friends visit this city, I would like to go one day as it does look a nice place to stay.

27. August 26, 2018 / 3:56 pm

I think watching the sunset is one of my favourite things to do when we travel! Its so special to share those moments together!

28. August 25, 2018 / 7:05 pm

Cologne is such a beautiful place. You’ve mentioned some great things to see and do.

29. August 24, 2018 / 3:38 pm

It looks such a stunning city to visit. Germany is on our travel bucketlist, and although Berlin tops it, Cologne is now a close 2nd