Take Twelve Trips – August 2018 Cologne Highlights

Live with no excuses and travel with no regrets is one of my favourite quotes. I try to live each day without any excuses and take life on as it comes. I definitely have no travel regrets, each place I have been to have its own charm. Continuing on with the travel challenge #take12trips, I recently travelled to Cologne. It was my first time in the city but I know it won’t be my last. In this post, I aim to share some of the Cologne Highlights of my visit.

Take Twelve Trips (#take12trips) is a travel challenged started by a fellow blogger to maximise her travels. I jumped on the bandwagon back in December 2015. Since then it has been a roller coaster of emotions and experiences. If you have a chance to travel whether abroad or within your own country, do it. I urge you to travel before you run out of time on planet earth.

Take Twelve Trips – Cologne Highlights

When I travelled to Cologne, I had no expectations whatsoever. A few weeks before the trip I was feeling a bit antsy and wasn’t sure if I should go. I am so glad I did because I was able to meet new people, go on walking tours and make friends. Every time I am in mainland Europe I meet so many wanderlust souls like me. It is always so refreshing and empowers me to travel even more.

Cologne is a mere hour away from London by air but can be reached via train or bus from within Europe. The airport is only half an hour train ride away from the city centre and costs €2.90 single. At the airport turn right from arrivals and take the escalator down underground to grab the train. Purchase your ticket at information desk or kiosks near the arrivals gate.

What I got up to in Cologne.

There are so many wonderful attractions within the city of Cologne but for this highlight, we will focus only on a few. I was in Cologne for 3 days but the third day doesn’t count as I had an early morning flight. In the two full days, I spent in Cologne I got to visit a lot of touristy places. But I also made time for just wandering aimlessly within the city and found some cute gems.

Day 1 I arrived around 10 am CET and made my way to the city centre. I had made a reservation at the Backpacker hostel where check-in is 3 pm. This was fine as I quickly made friends with whom I decided to go on a free walking tour with. The walking tour took a good 2-3 hours before we made it back to the hostel for a nap. The rest of the was spent catching you on emails and attending meetings.

Day 2 started pretty early, I had meetings to attend then had breakfast. I left the hotel at 11 and spent the whole day until 6 pm exploring. Cologne has so much to offer I did not want to miss a thing plus shopping in Cologne is amazing. I was able to ride a tour bought for an hour and a bus tour for another hour. Then went back to explore the places I saw both on the boat and the bus.

One place that left an impression outside the Cathedral was the Lindt Chocolate shop. I bought more chocolate than I should, ate even more and toured the place. It was nice to watch them make chocolate and put in cute packaging. If you’re ever in Cologne, I highly recommend visiting this place.

I definitely enjoyed my visit to Cologne, the city is vibrant but very different to other German cities. It has charm, character and enough culture to overdose in. Backpacker Cologne is a great hostel to stay in, it’s very comfortable and adequate. It is also only a 5-minute walk from the train station and trains run all night.

I hope my Cologne Highlights have given a dose of this incredible city. Cologne is definitely a place I can recommend to all travellers, it is a special city. Have you ever been to Cologne?

1. lindsey bray
    August 26, 2018 / 11:25 pm

My partners been there for an event. He said it was beautiful and wants to take me on day, so fingers crossed.

2. August 26, 2018 / 3:51 pm

My aunt lives in Cologne so I got to visit for the first time last year and it was a beautiful city. You have to try Flammkuchen if you go back, it’s a German thin pizza and it’s lovely

3. lindsey bray
    August 25, 2018 / 6:29 pm

My partner went to cologne for a stag. He also got some great pics. id love to go one day xx

4. August 25, 2018 / 5:08 pm

I have never been to Germany but I really want to. Cologne looks beautiful.

5. August 25, 2018 / 3:47 pm

I would really love to go back to Cologne, I only spent two days there but looks like a fantastic city and the Cathedral and river where beautiful! I need to go back and explore more

Laura x

6. August 25, 2018 / 8:44 am

I went to Hamburg last year and would love to explore more of Germany. Cologne looks beautiful

7. August 24, 2018 / 10:20 pm

I have yet to visit Germany but have heard lots of good things about Cologne. I’m hoping we get a chance to go in the next couple of years x

8. August 24, 2018 / 10:04 pm

I have always wanted to go Cologne so it feels like a little bit of me travelled there as I read you fabulous blog post sharing.

9. August 24, 2018 / 9:59 pm

Love the idea of this challenge! Cologne sounds really lovely, I have so many European cities on my wanderlust list!

10. August 24, 2018 / 8:34 pm

I don’t get to travel much these days, but I use to a bit when I was younger. I never went to cologne, but it looks lovely. I especially love the look of the colourful houses in your first shot!

11. August 24, 2018 / 7:23 pm

Wow! Cologne is never a place that’s been on my radar but your post has changed it. It sounds like you had a lovely time and it looks wonderful. Kat x

12. August 24, 2018 / 5:43 pm

It looks fab, I haven’t been to Cologne but I went to a couple of places in Germany years ago and I really enjoyed it. Lovely architecture and lots to do! I think traveling alone is such a great way to meet people 🙂

13. August 24, 2018 / 3:05 pm

Those buildings are so beautiful, love that they have co-ordinated the paintwork. Would love to visit Cologne

14. hannah
    August 24, 2018 / 10:35 am

Cologne looks like a great place to visit. I’ve never been to Cologne but have been to Germany

15. August 23, 2018 / 8:24 pm

Cologne looks and sounds wonderful, I never realised that it was so easy to get to by air from London. One to consider for a city trip

16. August 23, 2018 / 7:31 pm

That train journey was really reasonably priced wasn’t it. It looks great there although I’d probably stay in a hotel if I visited.

17. August 23, 2018 / 5:07 pm

Oh wow Cologne looks amazing! I have been to lots of surrounding places but never Cologne itself!

18. August 23, 2018 / 12:00 pm

The chocolate shop would be a highlight for me too! I’ve never visited Germany and this looks like a beautiful place.

19. August 23, 2018 / 10:51 am

How pretty does Cologne look! I am loving the picture of all the pretty coloured houses! So cute. I would love to get to go and visit myself one day.

20. August 23, 2018 / 10:48 am

Oooh, Cologne looks just lovely to visit. I definitely would love the architecture.

21. August 23, 2018 / 10:36 am

I visited Cologne many years ago & loved the cathedral! I would spend way too much in the chocolate shop 😀

22. August 23, 2018 / 9:54 am

Wow, it looks lovely! I’ve never been but will have to add to my list of places to visit.

23. August 23, 2018 / 8:51 am

I love travelling to Germany and Austria but haven’t been to Cologne yet – definitely on my list. I’m heading to Innsbruck and Munich in November

24. August 22, 2018 / 4:43 pm

Love your photos of Cologne and we’ve never been but the architecture looks fantastic and we’d certainly like to visit one day x