• The Best Autumn Travel Destinations in Europe

Autumn in Europe is incomparable to anywhere else, we’ve curated a list of the Best Autumn Travel Destinations in Europe. Obviously, this article is subjective but I know many other travellers would agree with me. The Best Autumn Travel Destinations in Europe include some of my favourite places.

During Autumn, Europe is filled with incredible activities including festival and Christmas markets. The list we curated of the Best Autumn Travel Destinations in Europe is all from personal experience. If I was to ever choose the best time to explore Europe, I would say its during Autumn.

Best Autumn Travel Destinations in Europe

The Best Autumn Travel Destinations in Europe

Unlike the UK, Autumn in mainland Europe is often cooler and the perfect time to plan a trip. When I planing the Best Autumn Travel Destinations in Europe, it wasn’t hard to make a choice. In this article, we’ve listed 13 Best Autumn Travel Destination in Europe.

{1} Venice, Italy

Last year November, I went on a long weekend getaway to Venice with one of my best friends. Unlike this year, the weather was absolutely amazing and the colour even more gorgeous. Whilst summer is a nice time to visit, Autumn is definitely the best time. The weather is cooler, not too overcrowded and absolutely charming.

Bucharest

{2} Bucharest, Romania

Bucharest is thought to be the Paris of Eastern Europe and it’s unfortunate it hasn’t been marketed as one. When I last visited Bucharest, I was in awe of its beauty and just couldn’t get enough of it. There are so many misconceptions about this city and what is known is something that happened years ago. I would recommend visiting Cismigui Gardens, such a beautiful and colour park.

{3} Warsaw, Poland

Warsaw definitely took me by surprise, I am not sure what I was expecting but its beautiful. I found myself very tearful learning about their history and what they endured way back when. But they are survivors and such hard workers so it was nice to see how they rebuilt the city. If you do visit, make sure to book a hotel near the city centre, there shopping centre is impressive. Make use of the black Friday travel discounts to book a nice luxury hotel.

Cologne

{4} Cologne, Germany

Cologne is a major cultural hub in the Rhineland with the trade fair being one of the most popular in Europe. It has over 30 museums and even more galleries around the city and is a popular destination. I was blown away by how different and more relax the city is compared to other Germany towns. I think this is the only Germany city I have visited where being late is the norm

London, England

London is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Europe and living so close, I forget. Autumn in London it can be so pretty and there are so many places to explore. I love Covet Gardens and Nottinghill around this time of year. But in all fairness, almost everywhere in the city is fine, it depends on what you’re after.

explore the heart of paris

Paris, France

Paris, the city of lights and love is by far one of the most beautiful destinations in the world. It is home to some truly marvellous art and architecture and has a rich history filled with politics, intrigue and artistic movements. From sweeping iconic monuments to homely shops and cafes, Paris has it all.

Bremen, Germany

Bremen is considered to be one of the most charming cities in Germany and I couldn’t agree more. If you’re unsure of whether to visit Bremen or not, I hope this article will convince you to do so. Bremen is not only charming, but it is also cute with a splendid old town, museums and greenery throughout the city.

Dublin

Dublin, Ireland

Dublin is an amazing and vibrant city and full of the best Irish Whiskey ever. Though its weather is bad as the rest of the UK, it definitely has its own charm. I loved the pubs all around the city, the museum and shopping centre. When in an Irish pub make sure to request a baby Guinness, best shot in the world.

Prague, Czech Republic

Prague is a city bursting with so much life, at your every turn there is something historically significant. Having visited Prague before I already knew of its true beauty but it still managed to impress me even more. There is so much to see and do in the city, whether it is a tour or living like a local.

Budapest

Budapest, Hungary

Budapest is Hungary’s capital city and one of Europe’s most underestimated destinations. I had such a lovely time exploring the city and avoiding the most popular thermal baths in the city. Regardless of when you visit, there is so much to do in and around the city.

Salzburg, Austria

Tomorrow I fly to Salzburg and very excited about touring the city where The Sound of Music was made. It is also Mozart’s home so it will be an incredible tour for sure. Many people recommended to visit this city around this time of year.

Gdańk, Poland

At the end of the month, I will be exploring this amazing and popular city in Poland. Its a gorgeous city during the summer but even more amazing during Autumn. I am excited to see what the city has to offer and dig into the local cuisines.

Blenheim Palace

Woodstock, East England

Blenheim Palace, the only non-royal country house to hold the title of a palace and is a monumental country house in Oxfordshire. I have lived in Oxfordshire for over 3 years and I hadn’t visited this glorious palace until now. The palace is located in Woodstock and was designated the UNESCO World Heritage site in 1987.

Best Autumn Travel Destinations in Europe

1. December 6, 2018 / 4:44 pm

Wonderful list and I can confirm that Prague in autumn is a real blast. Definitely must be on everyone’s bucket list. Thank you for sharing.

2. November 26, 2018 / 1:04 am

I would love to visit all of these places! My tops of the list are Venice and Paris. I’ll have to go in the Autumn when we finally get the chance. Thanks for sharing!

3. Thatiana
      November 25, 2018 / 3:22 am

I had a friend backpack travel through Europe by himself, he had an amazing time and wanted to go back. I can’t wait to visit.

4. November 25, 2018 / 2:01 am

Travelling to Europe is definitely on my bucket list! Thank you for all these awesome places to check out!

5. November 24, 2018 / 5:17 pm

Living in the south I would normally plan my trips in the Fall or winter months for this very reason. While it is normally much warmer here it is a nice cool breeze with excellent tourist attractions elsewhere. Thanks for sharing!

6. November 24, 2018 / 4:48 pm

Such a fantastic list and I love getting away this time of the year. I’ve spent Christmas in both Prague and the South of France and enjoyed both – would love to head to Venice this time of the year, would be magical

Laura x

7. November 22, 2018 / 9:12 pm

We have just done Paris and were so lucky with the weather – such a vibrant city

8. November 22, 2018 / 8:58 pm

I think there is some lovely places to explore in the Autumn. The darker evenings reveal things that you never would have seen if it wasn’t dark

9. alison
      November 22, 2018 / 3:54 pm

I always think of Europe in springtime. I have to say i’m sure it is just as charming in Fall and this post proved that. Thank you for sharing all of these wonderful destinations. So fun.

10. Rosey
      November 22, 2018 / 3:23 pm

There are so many places in Europe that I want to see. I think Prague was our most favorite place to see though. So far. 🙂

11. November 22, 2018 / 1:38 pm

I’ve never been to Europe (crazy, I know!!!) but if I did visit, I would like to go in autumn. I am a fan of temperate weather which would make walking around to see all of the sites that much more comfortable. I need to renew my passport!!!

12. November 22, 2018 / 8:40 am

That’s a big list of places to see. Poland and Hungary are on my bucket list. Thank goodness there is more to Ireland than just pubs, whiskey and drinks. If you do visit Ireland do it during the Summer and Spring to see the beauty that is on offer.

13. November 22, 2018 / 8:03 am

We’ve always wanted to plan a trip to Europe and are very excited about our daughters growing to an age where we can finally make it happen!

14. Becca Wilson
      November 22, 2018 / 7:32 am

I have never traveled outside of the United States. Europe is definitely on my list – so this list of what I must see and visit is incredible!

15. November 22, 2018 / 4:19 am

I agree! Autumn in Europe is dreamy. One of my favorite places is Venice in Italy, and I would love to visit Germany.

16. November 22, 2018 / 12:14 am

I have never been to Europe but will go one day. This is a great list of autumn spots to visit. There is so much history and culture!

17. November 21, 2018 / 11:39 pm

That is so cool that you got to visit all these places. I haven’t gotten to step on European soil as of yet in my travels. Maybe one day. This has definitely inspired to plan accordingly

18. November 21, 2018 / 10:12 pm

This is a great list and although I am biased because its my hometown, I’d choose Dublin. Those baby Guinness were my favourite shots when I used to drink alcohol. They’re delicious but very very dangerous too haha!

19. November 21, 2018 / 3:35 pm

I hope to go to Europe one day and check out all of these places. It’s been on my bucket list for years!

20. November 21, 2018 / 3:32 pm

I have visited all these destinations and agree with your comments on all of them. You’ll love the Sound of Music tour! Went to Salzburg with two friends many years ago and we did the tour, singing our way around!

21. November 21, 2018 / 2:30 pm

Oh I love Europe and it has been over 10 years since I have visited. This post made me feel motivated to go get my passport renewed so that I can plan a trip ASAP!

22. November 21, 2018 / 11:53 am

This could very easily become my travel wish list. So many wonderful countries, cultures and adventures!

23. November 21, 2018 / 11:07 am

Great locations here. I have visited most of them. Need to visit Venice one day.

24. Sophie
      November 21, 2018 / 9:34 am

These all look beautiful – I’d totally add Croatia to the list. The Plitvice lakes in autumn are breathtaking! I think autumn might be my favourite season

25. November 21, 2018 / 9:15 am

Been to Cologne Germany few years back and this place is also famous for its cologne parfum too. The cathedral is really stunning but some parts were on renovation during my visit. You have compiled a great list to do in Europe. My next destination would be to visit Italy.

26. November 21, 2018 / 9:06 am

The top of my travel list is definitely Venice. Italy as a whole is on my European travel list I cant wait to visit one day.

27. November 21, 2018 / 5:04 am

Awesome review of the places that must be visited! It’s always been my dream to visit Europe, and this list will give me an idea of wha to prioritize first on my very first visit! Yay!

28. November 21, 2018 / 2:34 am

OMG these are all places that I definitely want to visit one day! What a fab list! I’ve never been to Europe…

29. November 21, 2018 / 2:08 am

I must say autumn in italy is lovely but since i move to canada, it is pretty comparable! thank you for this list and see canada during this time so it can make it on your list 🙂

30. November 20, 2018 / 7:11 pm

So many places that I want to visit. Now I just need money so I can travel

31. November 20, 2018 / 6:19 pm

We’ve just come back from Bucharest and I thought it was a very interesting city. I’ve been to about half of the places on your list. I would love to go to Cologne next!

32. November 20, 2018 / 12:08 pm

I dont think you can go wrong with London in Autumn. It’s such a gorgeous city to explore, although I really want to try a European christmas market next year!

33. November 20, 2018 / 11:35 am

Oo so many beautiful places to visit! I really want to take my husband to Venice one day 🙂