Top 3 healthiest places to live in England

Hi there and welcome, today’s guest post is in collaboration with Toothpick.com

healthiest cities

As lifestyle related illnesses greatly contribute to the rising cost of healthcare, prevention is the best way to solve this problem. The Healthy Access study, developed by Toothpick.com, measures how healthy different areas of England are. The study focuses on services; hospitals, gps and dentists as well as green space, cycling and walking.

Today we are focusing on cycling, walking and greenspace. To look up your borough or to see the full study check out the healthy access study here.

Isle of scilly

Source

The Isles of Scilly

The Cycling Score relates to how many people cycle at least once a week for any length of time. Also, based on information obtained from the Department of Transport, the score relates to whether there are enough safe cycle paths and how easy it is to cycle depending on traffic.

The Isles of Scilly has been given a score of 10/10. People living here cycle at least once a week and with the many nature trails and stunning nature reserves found here, it is little wonder why the majority of people living in and visiting this area take to two wheels. On St. Mary’s and Tresco, the traffic is quiet compared to the mainland and there are many bike hire facilities available. It is therefore, very safe and easy to cycle here.

Southwark

The Walking Score is determined by how people walk at least 3 times a week for more than ten minutes. This score is also determined by how many parks and green spaces there are and how easy it is to get out and walk around.

Southwark has been awarded a score of 10/10 as it is a wonderful place to walk around. It has been voted one of the greenest boroughs in London, boasting over 130 parks and open spaces. Southwark Council encourage residents to walk by improving things such as street lights, pedestrian crossings and walkways and by removing hiding spaces and blind corners, making it safer and more accessible for walkers.

Newark and Sherwood

The Greenspace Score looks at how many people use the natural environment around them. A good Greenspace Score means that residents use the natural environment frequently and also looks at how many parks and green spaces there are. This score is also determined by how accessible, well-maintained and safe these green spaces are.

The area of Newark and Sherwood was given a Greenspace Score of 10/10. Sconce and Devon Park, Newark Castle and Gardens, Sherwood Avenue and Park and Vicar Water Country Park are all Green Flag accredited, thereby meeting nationally-recognised standards for being welcoming, accessible, safe and well-maintained. Residents in this area use these parks frequently and take advantage of the excellent facilities that are available.

Disclaimer: This post was authored by the client, the information provided is accurate at the date of posting.

I don’t about you but the The Isle of Scilly looks rather beautiful from this vantage point and I wouldn’t mind visiting the place.

Have you ever visited any of these three places?

What are some of the healthiest cities in your country?

myrabev-signature

1. April 15, 2015 / 1:15 am

At this point, I wouldn’t mind living in the unhealthiest place in England! I went there with my husband on vacation in February, and fell head over heels for the whole country! America is overrated. After reading this post, I googled each of those places, and they’re ALL gorgeous!

2. Fi
    April 14, 2015 / 8:25 pm

The Isle of Scilly sound lovely. I’d actually love to cycle again, I miss going on bike rides but my town is full of steep hills so it’s such a pain to walk the bike up them. I have no idea what the healthiest cities are in Ireland. I’m guessing in the west as there’s no pollution there 🙂

3. Shirgie Scf
    April 14, 2015 / 10:28 am

I hear a lot about England but I didn’t know about these cities until I read this article. From the description, Southwark is pretty interesting city to live in. I wish I could visit one of these cities someday

4. Mindi @ 2foodtrippers
    April 14, 2015 / 1:43 am

I’ve been to England several times. However, I have never been to these healthy cities. I usually spend most of my time in London where I can enjoy many pints of beer and many plates of fish & chips. Perhaps I should check out a healthy city next time.

5. Bonnie G
    April 13, 2015 / 11:14 pm

I’ve never been to England before but my oldest daughters grandmother lived there a few years ago. These places sound great to visit and I love that they are healthy cities. Unfortunately I can’t think of any cities near me that would be considered healthy.

6. Jennifer Juro
    April 13, 2015 / 8:09 pm

I would love to visit England; I was born there on an Air Force base and never made it back!! They sound like amazing parts to visit and the picture is breathtaking! Love the description of each part they sound amazing!

7. Kristen
    April 13, 2015 / 7:09 pm

I visited England 10 years ago when I was studying in Ireland. I must say, I was hoping to see Bath on that list. I had a lovely time there.

8. April 13, 2015 / 5:37 pm

Hi Miranda! Interesting that toothpick.com did a Healthy Aspect Study! Each area sounds wonderful. You are right about the Isle of Scilly looks rather beautiful I wouldn’t mind visiting there myself!! 🙂

And, my favorite vacation spots are those with safe cycle paths for us to meander and enjoy – where I live we do a bit of mountain biking and always look for that along with hiking areas –

9. Sharon Erickson
    April 13, 2015 / 5:04 pm

I have always wanted to visit places that ride their bicycles everywhere or even just plain ‘ol walk. I just feel like you would appreciate more because you can enjoy things and maybe even relax!

10. Nicole E.
    April 13, 2015 / 2:09 pm

I’ve never been to England, but I would love to live in Southwark because of the walkability. I think it would be so neat to live in a beautiful town where I could walk everywhere. Like to a bakery! Okay, so maybe not the bakery, that wouldn’t be healthy. But then again, I’d be walking off the fresh bread! So It is! I want to move to England.

11. April 13, 2015 / 9:00 am

I’m surprised to see that a city in California isn’t listed on that list hehe all kidding aside. I feel like as soon as I moved here, all the people looked so fit (to me). Especially compared to anywhere else in the world I’ve lived (ok, only 2 other places, but still).

12. Jenny Storment
    April 12, 2015 / 4:07 pm

Great topic. I’m sure people living in these 3 healthiest places in England appreciate it.

13. Jackie
    April 12, 2015 / 11:02 am

What a brilliant topic! I currently live in New Zealand but from Ireland, I am very lucky that both countries boast their green landscape and scenery. It is important to look at the links between health and lifestyle today. Really loved reading this 🙂

Jackie @ Style Me Petite

14. April 12, 2015 / 9:16 am

Wow, everything looks so pretty, I can see why those areas are healthy places to live! I know Seattle is a pretty healthy city in the US since we have so many outdoor areas and the climate is mild enough to encourage people to get outside year round.

15. April 12, 2015 / 8:58 am

I’ve never been but I would love to visit. Everything looks so gorgeous. I have no idea what the healthiest cities are here.

16. April 12, 2015 / 2:44 am

I really want to move back next year! Thanks for posting this. I’ve been to Southwark and that seemed quite nice. Been meaning to visit the Scilly Isles for years, as some friends really like it there 🙂

17. Bianca Germ
    April 11, 2015 / 6:31 pm

Thanks for this post! I will definitely keep it near by for my future trip to England!

18. Suzette Valle
    April 11, 2015 / 6:09 pm

Between Oxford and London I lived in the UK for over 5 years. I have to say I left because in the 1980s it was tough to live there. I’ve been back to visit twice and have noticed major changes. I love it and miss it so!! Will have to visit these places on my next trip!

19. Sue Oxley
    April 11, 2015 / 4:41 pm

I would never have guessed Southwark would make this list, amazing. I do walk so much more when Im home in London rather than the US for sure but some places are just so much prettier than others.

20. Valerie Hansen
    April 11, 2015 / 4:06 pm

Lovely post! Makes me want to hop a jet to Europe. I have never been, but hoping in the near future. My dream is to see Paris and London, big fashion places I need to see! Thanks for sharing !
    Happy Blogging!