{Beauty} 3 skin secrets every woman should know

3 skin secrets every woman should know

We all want healthy, glowing skin. In fact, keeping your complexion in good condition might be your top beauty priority. If you’re having a bad hair day, you can simply scrape your locks back so that they’re out of sight, whereas if your skin’s out of sorts, there’s nowhere to hide. Luckily, there are some simple skin care secrets out there that can make caring for your complexion easier. Here are three top tips that all women should know.

1) Taking the pill can help to clear acne

As healthcare experts Online Doctor Lloyds Pharmacy point out, the combined pill is the most popular form of female contraception available. However, despite the fact that it’s so well-known, many people don’t realise that this form of contraception can be an effective way to reduce acne. The reason the pill sometimes has this effect is because acne is mostly caused by the way skin reacts to hormonal changes, and so by altering hormone levels in the body, these contraceptives can reduce breakouts in some women.

Bear in mind though, the pill doesn’t have this effect on all acne sufferers, and it’s not suitable for everyone. For example, if you’re over 35 and smoke or you’re very overweight, you may not be eligible to take it.

2) Getting enough sleep boosts your skin health

You might feel grumpy and tired after a bad night’s sleep, but bear in mind it’s not just your mind that suffers when you fail to get enough shuteye. A lack of slumber can take its toll on your body too, and your skin is no exception. As well as giving you those telltale dark circles and bags under your eyes, poor sleep patterns could have a more profound impact on the look and feel of your skin. This is because your body repairs and regenerates tissues during sleep, so if you don’t get enough of the stuff, your complexion can suffer.

If you don’t think your sleeping patterns are up-to-scratch, now’s the time to make some changes to your routine. Ideally, you should be aiming to get between seven and nine hours of shuteye a night.

3) Too much washing can be bad for you

Of course, keeping your skin clean is important as a means of preventing infections and helping to clear your pores. However, don’t be tempted to get carried away with your washing routine. Excessive cleaning can rid your skin of the natural oils that help to keep it healthy. As a general rule, you should stick to washing your face once in the morning and once in the evening. Also, use mild soaps and bath oils rather than harsh products and if you have dry skin, steer clear of alcohol-based soaps as they can cause irritation.

Armed with knowledge like this, you should find it easier to ensure your skin has that all-important healthy glow.

What other skin secrets should a woman know?

myrabev-signature[wysija_form id=”2″]

Disclosure: This is a guest post in collaboration with  Online Doctor Lloyds Pharmacy

1. May 30, 2015 / 6:14 am

Great post and something that’s been on my mind lately. I went to a facial the other day and was told that using a scrub on your face should be something you do every three days, instead of every day, because it takes three days for the dead skin to build back up and if you are washing your face with a scrub and nothing to scrub off, then it pretty much leaves you dry and washing away the oils your skin actually needs — definitely goes along with what you had mentioned in your post. Love it!

2. valerie g
    May 28, 2015 / 1:45 pm

great tips. skin care is so important. I’m always on the lookout for new and better products.

3. CourtneyLynne
    May 28, 2015 / 4:32 am

Hehehe I have learned the hard way that too much washing is bad! I use to have such goofy skin and it would get worse if I constantly washed it!

4. May 28, 2015 / 4:13 am

Hello. My name is Barb. I am an African American woman living in St. Louis, Missouri in the United States. Very nice blog! Love your skin care tips! Would love to correspond and maybe do a guest blog exchange.

5. May 28, 2015 / 1:34 am

These are great tips! Though, I am definitely never ever going back on hormonal birth control. It was an awful experience, and I’m prone to migraines with vision loss. Water is a great tip! I need to drink more of it!

6. May 27, 2015 / 9:59 pm

I did not know that washing too much was bad to the skin. I guess I need to change some habits for a better skin

7. May 27, 2015 / 7:50 am

I personally had this problem as a kid and I did everything possible from keeping a clean face, washing 3/4 times a day and taking vitamins and rarely used make-up and never ate sweets, and I still had blemishes. ~sigh~

8. May 27, 2015 / 6:28 am

My tip would be to start proper skin care early in life! These are amazing tips as well!

9. May 27, 2015 / 5:59 am

Can’t confirm number 1 :P, but I totally agree with 2 and 3, although I’m not the best at implementing the more sleep thing.

10. May 27, 2015 / 5:42 am

I can always tell I’m not getting enough sleep when my skin starts to break out!

11. May 27, 2015 / 4:35 am

I have to agree with the sleep part as its our body’s way to balance itself. It allows you to recover from the rigors of a stressful day too.

12. May 27, 2015 / 12:34 am

I need to work on #2. I am a night hawk by nature you could say. But I know I could definitely use more sleep. Great Tips 🙂

13. May 26, 2015 / 11:46 pm

Wow thank you for giving such great tips! You would be surprised what over washing can do for your face!

14. May 26, 2015 / 10:10 pm

This was more than helpful. My skin is typically oily. These are really good tips. I am going to chat a few more zzz this evening.

15. May 26, 2015 / 6:34 pm

Thank you for the great tips! It is so important to get good restorative sleep for so many things – including your skin! I think that may be the thing we all have to work harder to accomplish..

16. May 26, 2015 / 2:52 pm

Those are some great tips. I’d also add, use a good moisturizer to keep your skin feeling smooth. With the pill, usually the acne goes away because it straightens out hormonal issues. I know some doctors also will prescribe an antibiotic to help clear it up.

17. May 26, 2015 / 2:11 pm

These are absolutly important point ti know about the skin.i agree with all of them.washing so much is not good as wel as a good sleep Is important For our health ingeneral

18. May 26, 2015 / 1:56 pm

I try not to wash my face more than a few times a week. Usually after a run. I try to get enough sleep because I love sleeping, haha. These are great tips!

19. May 26, 2015 / 1:14 pm

Thank you for these great tips! It is so true that you have to get enough sleep to have better skin.

20. May 26, 2015 / 12:10 pm

Thanks for highlighting this today and always good to learn something new!
    Skin care is an important issue to me!

21. May 26, 2015 / 9:44 am

Heavens I’m way too old to take “the pill” anymore!! Luckily I really never had much acne. An occasional vreakout here and there-still do actually. I definitely like your advice-it makes sense.

22. May 26, 2015 / 8:16 am

Thanks for this awesome tips. I have very dry skin and this is helpful for me. Keep them coming!

23. May 26, 2015 / 8:15 am

I think getting plenty of sleep is really overlooked in regards to what it can do for your health and skin. Great tips!

24. Caz
    May 26, 2015 / 7:14 am

Very useful tips, I didn’t know all of them thanks!

25. Rosey
    May 26, 2015 / 6:40 am

All of these tips make great sense to me! I’m happy to pass them along too, to my teen.