{TRAVEL} Namiseom Island ~ Korea (part 1)

Day 4 started out a bit different that day 0 – day 3, we woke up at 6am to start our journey to Nami island. Though we had woken up at 6am we did not start bathing until 7am and didn’t leave the house until 8.15am. My bestie lives in Hongdae which is almost 2 hours away from nami island by train, we got on a train from Hongdae (line 2) change at Wangshimni station (line 2) and boarded the train to Sangbong station which was on the Jungang line to takes us to Gapyeong station (Gyeongchun line). Arriving at Gapyeong station we had an option of a taxis or a bus to nami island and we opted for the bus which was 12,000won for the 2 of us or 20,000won if we had taken a taxis.

Korea

Traveling to Namiseom Island

We arrived at Nami Island in good time but there were so many people and so the cue for visa tickets to enter nami island was long and the sun by this time was scorching hot. My bestie went to get the tickets for the ferry which transports us to the island itself. The nami island is very famous in Korea due to the K-Drama Haylu or Winter Sonata which was filmed there and bestie and I took some pictures of where they shot the scenes and even the post of the movie.

We got the tickets and got onto a ferry – this was my first time on a ferry and I was sure I was going to get sea sick but I hardly even felt the waves which was awesome. The scenic view was just so incredible, I am upset that my camera did not work so all my pictures are either iPhone or HTC one which are not too bad but my camera would have done them more justice. The ferry ride was less than 5 minutes long, we docked and walked onto the island where we were able to explore parts of it but not all.

The Food at Namiseom Island

We had walked quite a bit when we decided to have lunch before continuing, though lunch looked absolutely delicious I wanted meat and they did not really have much in that restaurant. If we had walked a bit further up we would have stumbled upon the most amazing place to eat but hunger spoke before my mouth so the nearest restaurant was chosen. The food cost us 40,000won ($40) and if I am honest was not my cup of tea, we had bought drinks on the train so this saved us quite a bit because the drinks were ridiculously expensive.

korean pancake

korean food

korean food

korean - egg

Korean lunch

After our not so great lunch we started walking around and stumbled upon a gallery type of museum which I will blog about separately but I just had to share some pictures which honestly made me laugh more than shocked me.

IMAG0537

IMAG0534

IMAG0532

IMAG0528

After visiting this gallery type museum I just had to got get some ice cream from laughing so much. I mean what was the inspiration for the chinese sculptor to make these?

We walked around, found different flags in bottles, I found Zambian, Lithuania and UK since these are my countries and my bestie found UK and Kenya since these are hers.

IMAG0498

IMAG0497

IMAG0477

Obligatory selfie was taken aboard the ferry and I was mid sentence whilst taking this photo. Nami island is such a beautiful place to be and I am happy I got to see as much as I could.

IMAG0466

In part 2, I will share other places we visited on the nami island as well as the ride back from the island to Gapyeong.

Have you ever seen the Halyu movie? Been to Namiseom Island?

1. May 25, 2015 / 1:39 pm

OH my what a fun trip and that ferry boat brings back some wonderful memories. All of that food is making me so hungry, I can’t wait until lunch lol. Thanks for sharing your traveling adventure, Nami Island sounds like a great spot to visit and take in all of the attractions.

2. Heather
    May 25, 2015 / 8:39 am

The food looks amazing! Great pictures.

3. May 25, 2015 / 7:25 am

I love seeing your trip to Korea! These are great pictures of your finds while you are traveling! I love to see all the unique things about different cultures when we travel and this is one country we haven’t been to yet.

4. May 25, 2015 / 7:22 am

Looks like you had such a wonderful time, loving your travel series. Shame that your camera wasn’t working but thank goodness for smart phones so that you still got to capture your memories. Those statues in the museum look hilarious!

5. May 25, 2015 / 5:08 am

Wow, it looks absolutely amazing there! I am so jealous – It is definitely on my list to start traveling more. I just love learning and seeing different cultures.

And seriously, those statues look pretty awesome, haha! Love your pictures, it helps give me a sense of being there myself.

6. May 25, 2015 / 4:15 am

It looks like you had a great adventure with your friend. I haven’t been on a ferry ride but have gone on a 7 day cruise (I never felt sea sick but I felt like I was still rocking on a ship for several days). My husband thought I was being silly.

I’m sorry that you didn’t enjoy the food. It’s tough when you are stuck eating out and end up not liking it.

Those statues are so cute. I love all the fun poses and I hope they made up for the yucky food.

7. May 24, 2015 / 7:12 pm

What a great adventure! My husband would absolutely love to travel where you have, the history and culture fascinates him. Great photos, they really capture the experience.

8. May 24, 2015 / 5:50 pm

I have always been wanting to visit South Korea, and I read your post with so much enthusiasm! Nami Island sounds like a beautiful little island. Back when I was in college, I heard about this Korean drama Winter Sonata. It was a huge hit in my country (Indonesia), but I have never really watched it.

The food picture you posted look so good! I am getting hungry by just seeing them. I understand that Korean food are not everybody’s favorite, but it is definitely mine. There’s something about the spices they use and the way they ferment their vegetables.

I am happy you had a good time in Nami Island. Looking forward to reading more about your adventure!

9. May 24, 2015 / 4:34 pm

Oh my gosh, the statues in that museum are so funny! Looks like you had an amazing trip. I was in Korea once, but only for an hour and only in the airport. It would have been nice to actually see some of the country. I was too tired from my trip to even remember much of the airport!

10. May 24, 2015 / 2:23 pm

What a cool trip! Those statutes are a riot. I love the breastfeeding one. As a breastfeeding mom right now I can so relate to that one and it gave me a good chuckle. The food looks really good! I’ve never been to Korea myself, but I think it would be a nice trip to take. Definitely lots to see. Thanks for sharing, I love hearing about people’s travels to places I haven’t ever been to before!

11. May 24, 2015 / 2:14 pm

One of my friends visits her husband (military) in Korea all the time and loves it. Your pictures have me wanting to visit now, too!

12. CourtneyLynne
    May 24, 2015 / 1:56 pm

Ok it might only be 8am here in the states but those food pics have me drooling all over my computer hehehe…. Looks like you had some good eats on the island!!

13. Terri
    May 24, 2015 / 9:25 am

Wow looks brilliant. Great experiences and memories made by the looks of it. Those models are hilarious!

14. May 24, 2015 / 9:23 am

your pictures look amazing, and the food….omg! Can we swap lives for a sec? 😉

15. May 24, 2015 / 9:09 am

It’s always great to read about other bloggers’ travel tales. Korea is one of the countries that I would love to visit. My growing appreciation for Korea started when I got to watch a few K-Series like Kim Sam Soon, Queen Seon Deok, The Coffee Prince, and Flower Boy Ramen Shop. I also love Korean Food; we have tons of Korean restaurants here in the Philippines but I would still love to try the real thing – food looks delish from your pics..

16. May 24, 2015 / 3:49 am

Lol at the pictures…..oh wow that would have been the highlight for me. The food looks good but in a weird way I have always wondered how food from other countries tasted compared to the US