Why I only travel with a carry on

Why I only travel with a carry on, the simple answer is it’s cheaper to do so. Regular readers know I travel abroad almost every free weekend I can spare and it’s liberating. But as fun and awesome as that sounds it can be costly to travel. The majority of my travels are via budget airlines, this is both a blessing and a curse. A blessing because the flights are cheaper than your everyday airline. A curse because of the “extra” charges that they pile on making a budget flight to an expensive one.

I have spent the last 2+ years traveling as a solo traveler and mostly around Europe but to Asia and Africa too. Prior to solo traveling I wouldn’t have classified myself as a good ‘packer’. I was always the girl who packed way too much and had no room whatsoever for anything else. Have you ever gone on holiday with so many clothes but have absolutely nothing to wear? Well that’s me all the time until I mastered the art of packing.

Why I only travel with a carry on

Why I only travel with a carry on

Traveling with just a carry on limits you in what you can pack but also makes you really creative. I don’t like to focus on the limits it possesses but on the capabilities it offers one to explore. With that, here are some of the reasons why I only travel with a carry on.

Cheaper on budget airlines

Jetting around Europe can be both cheap and expensive depending on when you travel and what you carry. I travel mostly during the weekend so prices vary from cheap (£7 single to Poland) to expensive (£350 return to Copenhagen). Traveling with budget airlines with just a carry-on means I do not have to pay extra for baggage

Too much choice can be a bad thing

OK! hear me out here. You see when you’re limited to what you can carry you become sensible about what you pack. For all my travels I firstly pack an outfit for my return trip then my departure outfit. This way I don’t have to stress about thinking what else I need to pack, I then think about duration of my trip. Normally it’s just a day or two in which case I will just pack one pair of jeans plus two shirts and that’s me done.

winter fashion capsule

Teaches you a new skill

It may seem weird but packing light is definitely a skill many people do not poses. Using the technique have mentioned above it helps me stick to what I need and don’t waste time. Because if I pack things that I need I don’t have room for things I don’t need

Easier to drag around

The majority of hotels I book don’t allow check-in before 11am and no I am not talking about motels. I always bare that in mind and never want to drag a heavy bag around me. When I was new to solo traveling I made that mistake and I can assure you it’s not one I will be making again.

I pack light so that I can enjoy my fast paced travels and don’t have to pay extras for luggage. I love that I choose to limit how much I carry thereby ensuring I master how to pack light. Traveling is a luxury I enjoy very much and no luggage is going to spoil that for me.

1. Angela Milnes
    February 25, 2017 / 10:53 am

I love this post, I wish I can travel more but I have two kids it’s so hard to travel when you have a kids.

2. fashion-mommy
    February 24, 2017 / 2:31 pm

It’s an interesting view point, but I always take a case, I like some choice in my clothing options too much.

3. Ayesha Farhad
    February 24, 2017 / 11:32 am

I can never ever pack light! especially with a toddler in tow, travelling with just a hand carry is near to impossible! but every time I have to travel alone, a hand carry is what I always take!

4. Deborah Nicholas
    February 23, 2017 / 9:50 pm

Best way to travel – light!!

5. February 23, 2017 / 8:54 pm

I WISH I could travel light, I just can’t it’s so hard! xo

6. Jessica Lynn Martin
    February 23, 2017 / 8:35 pm

I need to learn how to pack and travel light. We don’t fly because we are able to drive where we travel, but even with driving I know I pack too much. These are great tips, not just for flying but driving too. I especially love the one that it teaches you a new skill. For us it would be the skill to not rely on so much when we travel.

7. Melanie Edjourian
    February 23, 2017 / 8:13 pm

I wish I could just have a carry on but with 3 children and a husband who needs a bigger bag than me it doesn’t work very well. It would be much easier though.

8. February 23, 2017 / 5:54 pm

I always try my best to stick to a carry on, especially for smaller trips. I tend to plan my outfits as I’ll normally know what I’m doing, but where my heavier/thicker clothing on the plane!

Kayleigh x

9. February 23, 2017 / 1:36 pm

It would be so much easier to travel like this! will have to next time

10. February 22, 2017 / 10:05 pm

I need to learn to travel with less things. I usually take too much!

11. Zena's Suitcase
    February 22, 2017 / 8:32 pm

I agree, taking just a carry on is a good idea. I would pack everything including the kitchen sink if I had the room

12. Marie Barber
    February 22, 2017 / 8:14 pm

We went to Rome for a few days on a cheap airline and had to pack light it was much easier to get around i would definitely do it again.

13. Beautyqueenuk
    February 22, 2017 / 7:46 pm

So many good points made and I am so impressed with how well you travel x

14. February 22, 2017 / 6:23 pm

Some great points, I think it would be a fun challenge to try and travel as light as possible while on a budget.

15. February 22, 2017 / 1:54 pm

I try and do just hand carry too. The only exception is when baggage is free for long haul flights anyway. I find you can pack really well and wisely using just hand carry and I find it a fun challenge!

16. February 22, 2017 / 9:28 am

For most trips I only tend to have carry on luggage as if I’m going away for 2-4 days I don’t feel that I need more x

17. February 21, 2017 / 10:20 pm

I love the idea of only traveling with a carry-on, especially for international travel. It’s super affordable and you’re right, too many options can be a bad thing.

18. Hannah Latoya Bond
    February 21, 2017 / 10:00 pm

I could never travel with only carry on. I never travel light x

19. Newcastle Family Life
    February 21, 2017 / 8:05 pm

I am a terrible packer and always over pack, even just for a night away here in the UK. I really need to take some of your tips onboard x

20. Louise O'Brien
    February 21, 2017 / 7:59 pm

I am so glad I have read this as I am the worst packer ever! I pack way too much. I am going to Copenhagen and will bear this in mind cheers 😊

21. February 21, 2017 / 7:25 pm

This is a smart idea, as you don’t have luggage that can be lost and you will avoid those extra luggage charges. Learning how to pack light and do it well is a great skill to learn x

22. Kara
    February 21, 2017 / 5:31 pm

I have to pack light as there are six of us so we cannot fit in any extra’s, it is an art form lol

23. February 21, 2017 / 5:26 pm

I agree, too much choice can be limiting and at least a smaller selection is easier to pack. Plus like you said you avoid extra charges x

24. Joanna
    February 21, 2017 / 4:46 pm

I definitely wish I can travel like this but its much harder to do when u have a child.

25. February 21, 2017 / 12:32 pm

oh i ish i could do this it must be such an experience x

26. Donna
    February 21, 2017 / 12:04 pm

I find this fascinating I really do. I would love to be a capsule traveller but I just can’t seem to make it work in my own life!

27. February 21, 2017 / 11:34 am

Since I’ve been doing more and more city breaks on budget airlines I normally just use a carry on as well x