Benefits of Oily Skin {Seborrhoea}

Oily skin, the bane of my existence I hear my fellow oily skin sufferers champions mutter. Normally I would be with you muttering a few curse words under my breath but since I started blogging my tone has shifted. You see oily skin is not the big bad wolf we’ve been taught all our lives but a saviour “in sheep’s clothing” perhaps!!! Ok maybe bad analogy but still you get my drift. Oily skin is your friend and today on the blog I will share why you should love it too. Or maybe let me start with why many hate dislike oily skin.

Benefits of oily skin

Reasons to hate oily skin

• You’re always oily than a fritter
  • You’re shinier than anyone around you
  • It doesn’t look attractive
  • Looks unhygienic
  • Constantly need to re-apply makeup
  • Can ruin makeup easily

Now that we’ve listed reasons to hate and I am sure you have more, here is why you should love it.

Benefits of oily skin

• Protects your skin from the elements
  • Protects you from ageing quickly
  • Natural moisturiser for your face
  • Will have few wrinkles than most

The science stuff of Seborrhoea*

Seborrhoea is the scientific term for oily skin, it’s caused by excess sebum (skin oil). It’s thought that during puberty androgen levels increase signalling the oil grands to mature. It’s during this time that excess oil is produced and for some the process goes into overdrive. This normally subsides as you pass puberty but for others this continues into adulthood which is both good and bad as listed above. Bad because most people with Seborrhoea continuously suffer with acne though some don’t. Good because Seborrhoea helps you age more slowly and with fewer wrinkles.

What can you do to help your oily skin?

• Use bloating paper to remove the excess oil
  • Don’t over clean, use light cleansers and avoid exfoliating.
  • Use light moisturiser, jojoba containing moisturisers are regularly recommended. Heavy moisturisers will only clog your pores

Though for some Seborrhoea is a burden I have opted to adopt it as a protective oily film. Seborrhoea is less sensitive to external elements, to drying out and stress. Because of this it’s less subject to wrinkles and signs of ageing, now who wouldn’t mind not having wrinkles and won’t be showing their age anytime soon.

Sources: Acne.org  and Skin-Science

1. none
    February 27, 2017 / 6:11 pm

I’m so glad to see this because I didnt think there were any benefits to my super oily skin!!

2. February 13, 2017 / 9:12 pm

I love the positives of having oily skin. I wish I had oily skin. Mine is so dry and cracks all the time. I’m definitely getting more wrinkles than my friends with oily skin. x

3. CourtneyLynne Storms
    February 12, 2017 / 9:47 pm

Omg I have oily skin and I definitely have a love hate relationship with it!!!! Some days it’s awesome then others it can be a pain

4. Sara
    February 12, 2017 / 12:16 pm

I also have oil skin. These were some great tips. I never thought there would be any benefits though.

5. Shannon Graham
    February 11, 2017 / 2:35 am

I myself struggle with overly oily skin. I did not realize how many benefits it had.

6. WEMAKE7
    February 11, 2017 / 12:41 am

Wow, this is great information. I consider myself having oily skin but didn’t realize there was benefits.

7. Marissa Zurfluh
    February 10, 2017 / 8:36 pm

My hormones had to have changed recently because I always had dry skin. Recently it has been so oily that it drives me nuts. These benefits may make me rethink how much I hate it. haha

8. WelshCakes&Wellies
    February 10, 2017 / 8:29 pm

I don’t have oily skin, but I would take oily skin over wrinkles any day!

9. Talya Stone
    February 10, 2017 / 7:28 pm

I always have the notion that people with oily skin will age a lot better than those with dry skin. There’s always a silver lining isn’t there?

10. Emma Oxley
    February 10, 2017 / 7:05 pm

I hate and love my oily skin in equal measure. I always feel greasy but I have no wrinkles – you can’t have it all!

11. Clairejustineo
    February 10, 2017 / 5:49 pm

I never thought of this until now, my grandma had oily skin and she always looked younger than she was 🙂

12. Kara
    February 10, 2017 / 7:42 am

I suffer with the opposite problem which has its own issues. Glad you have found some positives in it

13. Rebecca Swenor
    February 10, 2017 / 7:18 am

This is some interesting information about oily skin. Seborrhoea is a word I didn’t know but it sounds better to me than oily skin. I never thought about oily skin as about protection or making so you have less wrinkles. Thanks for sharing the information and the tips.

14. DiariesftWindowSeat
    February 10, 2017 / 6:17 am

I love your take on this! I’ve only ever seen posts about the cons of oily skin not the pros!

15. Amanda
    February 10, 2017 / 4:43 am

Ha…I am totally and utterly oily as a fritter. I hate having my oily skin but it is good to know that there are some benefits. Thanks for the tips!

16. February 10, 2017 / 4:36 am

Thank you for your information. My daughter is always complaining that her skin is oily, now I can tell her it is somewhat of a blessing. -posting as Mom Blog Society