Five difference between Vinyl and Laminate Flooring

When it comes to your home it can be difficult to decide between the vast array of flooring available. It can be so easy to get bogged down with the different designs that you could easily end up settling. Settling for something that looks good to the eye and is affordable or within your budget. But many make the mistake of forgetting about the functionality of it and what would suit your home the best. It is important to ensure that you choose the right type of flooring for any particular room. Choose flooring that will last, is strong and durable and is the best quality. Otherwise you may find yourself replacing it a lot quicker than you wanted or expected.

vinyl

Let’s be totally honest for a moment, do you really know the difference between the vinyl and laminate flooring? Have you ever even thought about it the differences between flooring? I know I didn’t, even when I first got my house. All I wanted was what looked the best and would fit in with the designs I had in mind. To be honest I didn’t really give much thought into what was actually more practical. Unfortunately I found out the hard way. There is a difference and it can be a disaster if you don’t do your homework.

Five differences between Vinyl and Laminate Flooring

So what are the differences between Vinyl and laminate? Well I am glad you asked, because there are several differences in quality between the two flooring types. CSW  has put together an in-depth article on 7 beautiful floor design  ideas for your home and I implore you to check it out for some really great tips. In the mean time here are main differences between vinyl and laminate flooring. Hopefully these ideas will to help you chose which the best is for you;

vinyl

Vinyl

A cost-effective alternative to hardwood flooring.

• Waterproof or water-resistant – this makes it great flooring for bathroom, basements and washroom.
  • Sticks to the floor underneath – vinyl is good in that you can literally glue it onto the floor underneath. It is very easy to install and gives the floor a look and feel of real hardwood.
  • Synthetic material
  • Soft and flexible –It is a good material if you have an uneven floor. It can cover humps although they need to be smooth and can also be placed on slopes.
  • Comes in sheets – It can be cut to fit any size room as it often comes in sheets.  Very easy to cut around objects such as a sink or toilet making it perfect for bathrooms.

Laminate

An excellent solution for busy areas in a home or office like the hall way

• Hard, inflexible and needs an even surface. If placed on an uneven or sloping surface it may move and even crack when you walk over it as it cannot bend.
  • Slots together – this means that it literally just slots together, no nails or glue and is relatively simple to do so you don’t necessarily need a professional to help you.
  • Made with recycled hardwood – although it is not real hardwood flooring if you buy good quality laminate flooring it can look like the real deal.
  • Not waterproof – not good for bathrooms, basements or anywhere that may get wet or humid.
  • Can expand/contract depending on conditions of the weather and it is recommended you stay off it for 24-48 hours so that it can expand/contract to the conditions of the room.

laminate

Vinyl can come in styles that look like wood and if you get a good quality one can look very nice. I have found some lovely ones on wood effect vinyl flooring that are reasonably priced and would look great in any room.

For ideas on how to style it why not head over to House Beautiful and see what amazing and functional space you can create? They have some great tips with on trend colours and styles and always manage to tie the colour scheme and furniture in with the flooring giving it that extra wow factor.

So now that we know the differences between the two, I just have one final question for you… which would you choose in your home? What reasons sold you on your choice?

*Collaborative

1. June 22, 2017 / 11:49 pm

I’ve seen some really pretty vinyl and laminate floors and I couldn’t really tell the difference. Your tips help, I’d love to get new floors this year.

2. June 22, 2017 / 5:13 pm

Great tips. We did vinyl in the bathrooms and it looks great in my house. Looks exactly like hardwoods.

3. OhNikka
    June 22, 2017 / 2:59 pm

Wow! These are great tips. I’m looking into new floors soon and now I have some good information.

4. June 21, 2017 / 2:41 pm

We had laminate flooring but then we switched to Vinyl, it exactly looks like wood and is waterproof. Great Post, your information is right on point.

5. June 21, 2017 / 2:35 pm

Very informative post! I used “wood” laminate in my previous home and it looked almost exactly like real hardwoods but was a fraction of the cost 🙂

6. Thena
    June 21, 2017 / 1:22 pm

I needed this as we are deciding on this right now, thank you!

7. June 21, 2017 / 1:03 pm

Really very informative tips … I had no such idea about vinyl and laminated flooring … thanks for the post 🙂

8. Rebecca Swenor
    June 21, 2017 / 12:51 pm

This is a great post on the differences between vinyl and laminated flooring. I didn’t know that laminated flooring was not water proof which makes a big difference to the kind of flooring I would choose. Thanks for sharing the information.

9. Jaime Nicole
    June 21, 2017 / 11:43 am

This is a great tutorial! I’ve been thinking about replacing my kitchen tile with laminate and this is really helpful!

10. rika agustini
    June 21, 2017 / 8:41 am

This is a great info. My husband and I have been thinking to remodel our house and replace our floor.

11. Blair Villanueva
    June 21, 2017 / 8:06 am

I prefer the vinyl type. I think it last a bit longer 🙂 and it depends where will you use a vinyl or laminated type.

12. Maurene Cab
    June 21, 2017 / 7:42 am

Very informative! I’ve been wondering as well about their differences. I’m glad I learn new things that I can use the next we renovate our place.

13. Olujorby Chemqueen
    June 21, 2017 / 6:16 am

Knowing the difference between the two, will make it easy to make a choice. Thanks.

14. June 21, 2017 / 6:11 am

I would say it depends on the room that you’re going to use the flooring in. It’s really nice that you shared the difference between the two!

15. Allison Rozzen
    June 21, 2017 / 5:46 am

My apartment right now has laminate in a grey wood color, i love it and its so easy to clean. Definitely would want a similar look in my home!

16. Jhilmil Mommyinme
    June 21, 2017 / 2:04 am

I just knew one thing that Vinyl is waterproof & laminate not, apart rom that I seriously didn’t knew any of the differences! A very informative post which can be so handy while it comes to getting your house.

17. Marianne Turkson
    June 21, 2017 / 1:22 am

Wow,never thought to learn the difference but there was something about the word vinyl that gives me a less quality vibe. Thanks for sharing.

18. Claudia Krusch
    June 21, 2017 / 12:31 am

We just got laminate in the basement and I love it. This is a great breakdown of the differences between vinyl and laminate.

19. Chelf Chelfdom
    June 21, 2017 / 12:19 am

unfortunately we rent our apartment and we cannot change the floors which are in a terrible condition. At least now i have an idea of what is what for when we get our own place

20. Pam
    June 20, 2017 / 11:55 pm

It is great to have a post like this explaining the different flooring choices. Our house is done in laminate but it took a lot of deliberating to make that decision.

21. Lisa
    June 20, 2017 / 8:57 pm

We have been looking at these for our living room and kitchen! I had no idea just how cool they were, I had no clue the difference in the types of flooring. How versatile and beautiful laminate is!

22. T-Nicole Johnson
    June 20, 2017 / 6:51 pm

Thanks for giving a breakdown of the difference. I had laminate flooring when I first purchased my home.

23. June 20, 2017 / 6:32 pm

I actually never knew there was a difference. Thanks for informing me and giving some great tips and explanation. I was inking of redoing my spare room and I had no clue about this stuff.

24. June 20, 2017 / 5:06 pm

This is a great post, I have to admit I was going to have laminate when we moved in however as soon as I heard it wasn’t waterproof I quickly changed my mind to vinyl and it is amazing how nice it looks plus it is so easy to keep clean.

25. Christy Maurer
    June 20, 2017 / 2:32 pm

I think if you have uneven floors, vinyl would be the better choice. I’d prefer laminate if I could be sure all of my floors were even and it wouldn’t crack.

26. June 20, 2017 / 2:31 pm

Thank you for this! We’ll be getting new flooring soon, and I believe we’re going with laminate. I’m glad to hear it’s a good choice.

27. Alli Smith
    June 20, 2017 / 12:37 pm

Personally, I prefer laminate over vinyl. I’ve seen both and they are both beautiful and have pros and cons. We live in a sandy area that would damage hardwood, so I have laminate floors. Most people can’t tell the difference.

28. chubskulit
    June 20, 2017 / 11:52 am

We have hardwood floors that we refinished when we first bought this home, I love it. I do however miss the carpeting at our old house.

29. Ania Ewelina
    June 20, 2017 / 11:46 am

Great information. I never really thought of the differences in floors since I never lived in a place where I needed to redo them. But if I ever have to redo them looks like I’m going the vinyl route.

30. June 20, 2017 / 11:14 am

We use vinyl flooring at home and it’s easier to manage especially on rainy days. I guess it’s better than laminates because of its flexibility.

31. Robin Rue
    June 20, 2017 / 10:24 am

We JUST re-did our kitchen floor 2 weeks ago, so I ended up learning all of this from the guy at Lowe’s! GREAT info!