Taking Your Campervan on a Tour of Scotland

We all look forward to the time of year when we can head off on our holidays and get away from the daily grind. After months and months of planning and money-saving, all the effort will be worth it when the time comes around! If you’re already thinking ahead to next year’s adventure or you need a winter break to keep you going, the freedom of campervanning is not to be ignored. Campervanning allows you to travel anywhere you want at a moment’s notice with minimal planning and effort.

scotland

Image source

Camping has so many upsides, the main one of which is that you can flit between countries and see the road less travelled. It’s beneficial to see the less touristy side of a country when driving everywhere. Some of the most beautiful hotspots are right here in the UK, however – from the coasts of Cornwall to the rolling hills of the Yorkshire Dales, the British scenery never fails to disappoint. With this in mind, if you’ve never considered a holiday in Scotland or never been around it to visit some of the hotspots, then you’re missing out! Read on for some of the best places to visit on your campervan trip of this beautiful country that will have you packing your bags in no time.

Edinburgh to St Andrews

As Edinburgh is relatively close to the English-Scottish border, this is a great place to start. Scotland’s vibrant cultural capital boasts rows and rows of modern restaurants, cute cafes and on-trend shops on its charming streets. Wander up the castle to explore the history of the city, or satisfy your inner shopaholic trailing down Princes Street. Once you’ve got your fill of this beautiful city, hop in your campervan and head en-route to St. Andrews.

Take in the architecture of the famous Forth Bridge on your way across the Forth Road Bridge and admire the newly opened Queensferry Crossing on your left-hand side. Stop along the way at quaint fishing villages such as Pittenween and Anstruther before reaching your next big destination. Once in St. Andrews, enjoy a spot of pitch and putt in the golfing capital of the UK! Stop at campsites such as St. Monans Holiday Park or Woodlands Gardens Caravan & Camping in Leven for a good night’s sleep.

Isle of Skye

Connected to Scotland’s northwest coast by bridge, the isle of Skye is a beautiful landscape that everyone should explore at least once in their life! With plummeting coastal waterfalls and vast lochs peppered around the green landscape, the island is home to some of the UK’s most stunning natural beauty. Invest in some good quality campervan windows so the whole family can enjoy the views on the drive! Set up camp on the shores of one of the isle’s many lochs and fall asleep to the sound of the water lapping the shoreline whilst the Highland cattle graze nearby. From The Storr to Neist Point, there’s no shortage of stunning scenery on this northern isle. Fill your days hiking and climbing the peaks and troughs, and spend your evenings with a rewarding cold drink in one of the many quaint harbourside pubs.

Outer & Inner Hebrides

Scotland’s West coast is famous for its stunning views and serene surroundings. The area’s unique mix of coastal and countryside is what makes this area so special, and once you’ve experienced a road trip on Europe’s Atlantic edge, you won’t want to leave. This diverse chain of inter-connected islands is home to tranquil turquoise waters and white sand beaches that look more at home in the Maldives than in Scotland. If getting around the Outer Hebrides is too tricky, Scotland’s vast and wide west coast will be an equally stunning drive, and the roads of the inner Hebrides should be easier to navigate. Pitch up at Glenbrittle Campsite in Carbost located on the shore of Loch Brittle at the foot of the Black Cuillin mountain range for a stunning view that you can’t wait to wake up to.

*Written by Luke

1. Our Family World
    October 13, 2017 / 6:38 am

My cousin is lucky he lives there. So many sights to see and the place itself is a traveler’s paradise. I hope to visit someday, and since my cousin lives there, I won’t have to spend for hotel accommodations. I would just rent out a room in his house. 🙂

2. October 12, 2017 / 5:07 pm

This sounds like such a fun adventure. I would love to go on a road trip like this one day.

3. October 12, 2017 / 11:08 am

I dont know if I would visit Scotland in a campervan, I think it’s pretty scary driving a regular car on the opposite of the road. That said, I do want to visit Scotland!!

4. October 12, 2017 / 5:33 am

I have to say that Scotland is waaaaay up there on my travel bucket list and I would love to do a full road trip of it one day!! #GOALS

5. October 12, 2017 / 3:00 am

I love a good roadtrip. Scotland sounds beautiful. I look forward to not having to worry about the school calendar.

6. Claudia Krusch
    October 12, 2017 / 1:45 am

Scotland is at the top of my dream travel list. It would be amazing to go there and explore.

7. Marysa
    October 11, 2017 / 11:33 pm

Sounds like there are so many great places to explore in Scotland. I can only imagine how beautiful the landscapes are there. I would love to visit someday.

8. Amanda
    October 11, 2017 / 10:19 pm

I would love to visit Scotland one day. It looks like such a beautiful country and there is so much to explore. Your photos are stunning.

9. Pam W
    October 11, 2017 / 10:15 pm

I have always wanted to visit Isle of Skye. It’s on my bucket list for travel!

10. Rachel Akers
    October 11, 2017 / 9:06 pm

Now this would be an amazing roadtrip. I love the idea of driving to all the spots you want to see.

11. October 11, 2017 / 5:12 pm

What an awesome way to tour a destination. I would so love to do this! Thanks so much for sharing, I’m so interested now!

12. Jeanette
    October 11, 2017 / 2:59 pm

Now I really like that idea! We were thinking about going to Europe in the next couple of years in one of the worries we were having was what hotels to choose so that we can get what we want to go and not have to keep going back-and-forth to one place.

13. October 11, 2017 / 2:48 pm

This sounds like the most amazing road trip! Scotland is very high on my bucket list!

14. Tomi_C
    October 11, 2017 / 2:10 pm

When I think of “campervanning” I think of my great aunt’s old VW camper. They would take it everywhere. I’ve yet to visit Scotland but I’ve always wanted to visit Edinburgh to see the iconic Edinburgh Castle.

15. October 11, 2017 / 1:23 pm

This would certainly be an adventure. I was in Scotland years ago and I do hope to go back. It’s such a gorgeous area.

16. Candy Kage
    October 11, 2017 / 1:18 pm

Now wouldn’t this be a wonderful trip to visit Scotland. Been to Ireland but Scotland would be wonderful to see as well. Camping wasn’t on my idea list sounds like fun.

17. Alli Smith
    October 11, 2017 / 12:03 pm

Scotland is on my bucket list of places I want to visit. I’ve never thought about doing a camping tour of Scotland. Sounds like a fun adventure.

18. Robin Rue
    October 11, 2017 / 11:44 am

That sounds like such a fun adventure. I have ALWAYS wanted to go to Scotland!