Local Adventures: Waddesdon Manor #localtourist

Waddesdon Manor is a country house built in 1870s for the Baron Ferdinand de Rothschild. It is located in the idyllic village of Waddesdon located in the Vale of Aylesbury. Last weekend we took an opportunity to visit this magnificent manor in Buckinghamshire. Though the house itself is closed until 11th November 2017 in readiness for Christmas, we toured the grounds.

Over 9 weeks ago I started the Local Adventures series with the sole purpose of exploring my local surroundings. For me it is important continue traveling not just abroad but locally as wells. The UK has so much to offer and so much more than I realised. Every weekend if I am not abroad, the plan is to visit a National Trust property local to me.

Waddesdon Manor

LOCAL ADVENTURES: WADDESDON MANOR #LOCALTOURIST

Waddesdon Manor was opened to the public in 1959 two years after the death of James de Rothschild. He left the manor and its content to the National Trust but it is managed by the Rothschild Foundation. A UK registered charity and one of the most visited properties in England with thousands of visitors yearly.

When Baron Ferdinand bought the estate, it was a farm land but he was quite familiar with the area. It is quite weird seeing the magnificent manor as it stands today and try to picture the area without it. The house hosted many parties before the death of Baron Ferdinand and has been used as refuge years later.

One thing that strikes you as you walk the grounds is the beautiful sculptures around the property. At this occasion we did not have a chance to tour the house but we heard the art collection is impeccable.

Waddesdon Manor

THINGS TO DO AT WADDESDON MANOR

Whenever I visit a National Trust property, I always make it my point to ensure I enjoy what it has to offer. So far all properties I have visited have plenty to do for everyone especially those with children. Not that the rest of us can’t enjoy it, we certainly can as there is much to see.

• Free walking and tour guides – several talks are given throughout the day. An introductory walk exploring the history of the manor and the gardens including the talk of Rothschild family. Dairy water garden talk, a private tour of the water gardens, a discovery talk and wine cellar talk.
  • Special Events – throughout the year the Waddesdon Manor hosts different events including festivals open to the public. As we are coming up to Christmas, from 11th November 2017 they will be hosting a number of Christmas events.
  • Shopping – there are two shops which are a must see during your visit; the Manor Shop and Wine Shop. I was totally blown away by the awesome shops especially the wine shop.
  • Eating – One thing in abundance at the Waddesdon Manor is the many places to eat.  Manor Restaurant, Stables Cafe, New Treaterie, Coffee Bar and Summer House and Five Arrows hotel. And when the weather is good, you can have a picnic on the grounds of the estate.

Waddesdon Manor

Good things to know

The Waddesdon Manor is an easy place to find and get to, it took me under an hour to drive there. Living in the outskirts of Oxford, the motorway was my best friend and an easy commute.

• Getting to the manor – you have an option to walk up from the parking lot to the manor, its a 15 minute walk. You have an option to take a shuttle bus from the car park
  • Information desk and tickets are located at the welcome pavilion in the car part
  • Foot paths and Bridleway Dog walking boundary are easily accessible
  • Five Arrows Hotel is located at the entrance of the Manor
  • All bags larger than a handbag have to be left at the visitor information area.
Pin for later!!

1. November 13, 2017 / 11:57 am

Nice that they have a dog walking path – not many houses allow this! And the grounds look beautiful, even in Autumn! x

• November 14, 2017 / 12:52 pm

I thought so too and the properties I have visited so far allow dogs in certain parts but not all

2. Newcastle Family Life
    November 10, 2017 / 8:49 pm

This looks like a wonderful place to visit, what a grand building and the grounds look great too x

3. Stephanie
    November 10, 2017 / 7:36 pm

Great big place to explore, with lots of history to it too

4. Lauretta
    November 10, 2017 / 8:59 am

Looks like a lovely place. Thanks for making a list on what can be explored in Waddesdon Manor.

5. Our Family World
    November 10, 2017 / 5:35 am

I would love to see this in person! OMG, the pomp and grandeur of this place. It must have been awesome to have lived such a wealthy life.

6. Louise Smith
    November 9, 2017 / 8:34 pm

I love visiting Stately Homes, but I have to admit I’d never heard of this one! It looks lovely here though, and I’d definitely go and have a look around if I ever got the chance 🙂

Louise x

7. Linda Hobbis
    November 9, 2017 / 6:43 pm

Wow – what a building – I love stately homes but hadn’t heard of this one. Definitely one to visit – and I love a good gift shop.

8. Kita Bryant
    November 9, 2017 / 5:40 pm

I can see why it’s one of the most visited properties! It’s gorgeous and has rich history!

9. chubskulit
    November 9, 2017 / 2:27 pm

Wow that looks like a palace, such a beautiful place. I love visiting local places, you can discover and learn so many things without breaking the bank.

10. Rosemary Anderson Palmer
    November 9, 2017 / 12:21 pm

Local is good but we sure don’t have anything like this, but there’s a lot of military history. What wonderful architecture

11. FussFreeJen
    November 9, 2017 / 10:19 am

I love your idea of visiting local places, it is something I have tried to do. So often you have all these gems of places so close, and forget just how wonderful they are.
    Waddesdon Manor looks so impressive, such a stunning building. Lovely to see the grounds have been kept in such magificent order. There is something rather magical about visiting these types of places, particularly when there is history.

12. Kara
    November 9, 2017 / 7:01 am

I have seen lots of love online for Waddesdon Manor and would love to visit one day. Its not too far for a day trip