The Ultimate Renting Rules #RentingRules

Renting your first apartment can be the most exciting thing in your life but can also be daunting. I have been renting apartment my current apartment for over two years now and it has its pros and cons. One of the big limiting things when it comes to renting an apartment is that it belongs to someone else. I shared tips on how you can decorate your rented apartment a couple of months back. Whilst these tips are helpful, one must also be aware of the Renting Rules between tenant and landlord. Thanks to Homelet we are sharing A July Dreamer’s Ultimate Guide #RentingRules.

Renting Rules #rentingrules

I moved out of my parents house almost 8 years ago now and since then been renting. In these 8 years I have had several types of landlords, from University to single landlords to corporations. I have also rented both furnished and non-furnished properties which has been an experience. With that being said, here are my ultimate Renting Rules!

The Ultimate Renting Rules #RentingRules

I am a great believer in creating a check-list and you might find it quite useful. Aside from that, the top renting rules for me are:

• Take pictures – regardless of weather the property is furnished or non-furnished. When I was renting at university we found our deposit was deducted because of damage which was already there. But because we had no proof of this damage already existing we had to pay. For for the rule #1, take pictures of everything and share with landlord or agent.
  • Check the plumbing – on the same line as taking pictures, check the plumbing works.
  • Changing locks – request that the locks are changed before you move in. I have had people turn up at my place because they still had the old keys.
  • Clean the apartment – most landlords would have had the place cleaned but can never be too sure. I always clean the apartment before moving in especially the kitchen and bathroom.
  • Agree on bills – depending on your type of agreement ensure this is clarified. For almost all properties I have rented this has been one thing I discussed before signing the contract. You need to know what is included in the rent and what isn’t.

The tips above are just the basics that I have personally done before I move into an apartment. Homelet has put together an e-book {Final Renting Rules eBook} on the Renting Rules and helping tenants know their rights. I know personally this has been helpful as it has reinforced what I already know. But it has also taught me things I did not consider before which has been a relief.

Are you currently renting or a landlord? What are some of your Renting Rules?

*Collaborative

1. December 2, 2017 / 2:19 am

These are actually things that I’ve taken note of myself when I look for a new place to rent. They’re SO important! I learn new tips from your article too. Thanks for sharing your insight!

2. Karlyn Cruz
    December 2, 2017 / 1:37 am

Taking pictures is SOOOO important! I think landlords here tend to try to stiff people as much as possible as well and of course vice versa. Great tips!

3. December 1, 2017 / 7:58 am

OMG, I so agree with taking photos and checking the plumbing. I got charged for damage that was already in my last rented house when I moved in then the toilet was always running (something I didn’t notice) so I got hit with a £900 water bill! Argh!!

Katie xoxo

4. jennifuchs
    December 1, 2017 / 7:33 am

I’ve been renting my whole adult life. We always document absolutely everything in photos!

5. Catalina
    November 30, 2017 / 10:06 pm

I love these rules. They are very useful and clear. And I do also clean always the new apartement before I move in!

6. November 30, 2017 / 9:41 am

I never even thought about requesting that the locks had been changed, it’s a really good point though. I lived at home during uni and was very lucky to only have to rent for a year before I was able to purchase my flat, I feel very fortunate as I don’t think I could go back x

7. Censie 'Mumby' Sawyer
    November 30, 2017 / 4:30 am

We rented for 5 years before buying our home. I agree with your list. Especially the taking pictures one. We had issues with getting our deposit back from our first rental and that was a huge rental lesson.

8. Melanie E
    November 30, 2017 / 3:00 am

I have actually never rented. My sister has, though. She has had good stories about renting and bad ones! There are so many aspects to keep in mind when renting. Thanks for sharing your tips.

9. November 29, 2017 / 11:24 pm

Good tips here about renting! I am lucky to have not had to rent in decades but my daughter is a renter so I will share this with her!

10. LisaLisa01
    November 29, 2017 / 10:11 pm

Great tips! I too have rented many apartments and have taken pictures, checked plumbing and many others things you listed. It can be a great experience and an bad one if you have a landlord from hell like I did in Chicago. We left to come home and when we returned he had been in the apartment and removed personal things. It’s always best to know that individual or hope and pray that person is professional.

11. Suzy Mccullough
    November 29, 2017 / 9:02 pm

Some great tips. I remember when I rented my first apartment. It was very daunting but it helped that I was renting off someone really professional

12. November 29, 2017 / 8:47 pm

I got stung as a student too because of not having proof. Photos are so important.

13. Battle Mum (BattleMum)
    November 29, 2017 / 6:27 pm

They’re great tips, especially for anyone just starting to think about renting. The pictures especially! I also know people who have been deducted on their deposit for pre-existing damage!

14. November 29, 2017 / 5:22 pm

Great tips lovely – not everyone thinks of them when moving to a new place

15. November 29, 2017 / 1:02 pm

These are some great tips! I used to rent and taking photos is a must! We got billed for damage that was there before we had moved in. Wish I had seen this tips before. I am sure you will help many renters!

16. November 29, 2017 / 9:42 am

The first two points are ones I was stung for early on when I was renting. Damage that was already there but not recorded on the inventory, and one student flat where I was charged for not returning a key for my room that I had never been given (only had a key to the front door). And after renting a flat on the third floor with the most awful water pressure, I always check the shower before signing!