48-HRS in Rome: 5 Must Visit places!

48-HRS in Rome is a guide put together to help you prioritize places of interest you might want to visit. I personally would recommend these 5 must visit places on your next Italian adventure of Rome. But bare in mind that, Rome has so much to be seen that one visit is not enough. It is a city filled with over 2,000 years of Roman history, an era that still inspires today’s generation. There isn’t a place that the Roman’s rule has not influenced or not heard of them. Places like the Colosseum and the Vatican City are high on the must see list because of our schooling.

The 48-HRS in Rome guide aims to give you an idea of what can be done in such few hours. Whether you want a fast paced tour of the city or a more relaxed one, Rome caters for all. Our recommendations of when to visit are between September and November months because it’s less crowded. The weather in September is warm enough to tour on foot and November its starting to get cooler.48-hrs in Rome48-HRS in Rome: 5 Must Visit Places

Unless you’ve been to Rome before, most of the places you want to visit and the top tourist places. And many tourist companies have definitely capitalized on that because they know what’s popular with tourists. Everyone who visits Rome for the first time definitely has the Colosseum and the Vatican City on their list among other places. Our 48-HRS in Rome guide brings you the best 5 places you must visit as a first timer.

A post shared by Miranda-Anosa #UKTravelblogger (@ajulydreamer) on T

Built during the reign of Emperor Vespasian as the largest amphitheater (which means theater in the round). It is made from concrete as well as stone and was built around in 72 and 80 A.D. This ancient sporting arena was open to the public, food was free but it was also home to brutal games. I can not even begin to imagine what it must have been like, we’ve all seen the gladiator movies. Not pretty and visiting it in person certainly brings things into perspective. Read more Facts about the Colosseum HERE.

Roman Forum

Once upon a time was a centre of Rome and considered the commercial hub of the Roman Empire. After the fall of the Roman empire the forum fell into disrepair and was later used as a cow field. Those I can not remember much of my history lesson I do remember this was an important landmark.

48-HRS in RomePiazza Venezia Considered the central hub of Rome, Piazza Venezia was named by Cardinal Venezia. It is said he ordered a construction of his own palace (Palazzo Venezia) in 1455. At the foot of a monument to honour Victor Emanuel II and guarded by two soldiers is the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

The Vatican City

It is known as the smallest country in the world and ruled by an absolute monarch, the Pope. Known as the headquarters of the Catholic church, with only a small population of a thousand.  Apart from watching the movies, I had little to no knowledge about this independent city-state within the city of Rome. Read 10 things you many not know about the Vatican for insight HERE. 48-HRS in RomeTrevi Fountain {Fontana Di Trevi} Fontana Di Trevi is known across the globe to be most stunning, is located in Quirinale district of Rome. It is believed to be made from the same materials as the Colosseum and is the oldest water sources in Rome. There is a great belief that coins tossed into the fountain guarantees you will return to Rome. What’s more beautiful than the belief is that the coins are donated to a charity in Rome. You can read more facts about the Trevi Fountain HERE.

48-HRS in Rome: Getting from the Ciampino Airport to the city!

Italy is not known for having the best railway system, the best mode of transportation is buses. Most buses start at 4.30am in the morning, make note especially if you have an early flight. It’s recommended to buy return tickets because buses fill up pretty quickly and you don’t want to miss your flight.

Several companies operate from the airport to the city as well as to Leonardo da Vinci {Fiumicino}. You can purchase tickets online, I normally buy mine with Ryanair transfers to save money.

Pin for later!!

1. kim@hungryhealthygirl
    December 18, 2017 / 11:36 am

What great list! I sure wish I had time to kill in Rome!

2. Kara
    December 16, 2017 / 5:11 pm

We had to squeeze Rome into a day and it was no easy task. We missed the Vatican but did manage the Roman Forum and Trevi Fountain

3. Kelly Hutchinson
    December 15, 2017 / 5:44 pm

I have not been to Rome, although I have always wanted to. The Vatican City would be at the top of my list.

4. David E
    December 15, 2017 / 4:33 pm

I still need to make my way into Rome. I am going to have to go sometime soon. I really would love to see all of these places. From the historical to the divine, I love it.

5. Ravmeet Oberoi
    December 15, 2017 / 1:29 pm

Rome is on my bucket list of destinations to explore after my post graduation. This post has added to my impatience to get there. 😀

6. December 15, 2017 / 9:05 am

We genuinely did spend 48 hours in Rome a few years ago in November (a birthday treat) and it was a bit of a tense trip as everyone except me was ill! BUT I managed to visit the Colloseum which was top of my list to visit – and I LOVED the Roman forum.

7. Lauretta
    December 14, 2017 / 9:44 pm

The Trevi Fountain is just so amazing! I’ve always been curious about Vatican too.

8. December 14, 2017 / 6:57 pm

Oh wow, how exciting. I’d love to visit all of these places. Rome is really high up on my bucket list and your post will come in handy when I make it there.

9. Lauren Porter
    December 14, 2017 / 11:31 am

I’ve just written an Italian bucket list & Rome crops up numerous times! Would love to go x

10. jennifuchs
    December 14, 2017 / 11:08 am

I visited Rome before, but it’s been quite a while. At least ten years. Would love to go back.

11. mail4rosey
    December 14, 2017 / 10:01 am

We went and the one thing I missed was seeing the Sistine Chapel. I’d like to go back and get to see it then.

12. December 14, 2017 / 4:43 am

Oh this gives me nostalgia feels for Rome. There is so much to see and discover there. I personally love the coliseum and the vatican.

13. Stephanie
    December 13, 2017 / 9:14 pm

Wow that looks amazing, I’ve never visited Rome but it looks a really nice place to vidit. Add to my list!

14. Kira
    December 13, 2017 / 4:58 pm

Wow Rome looks amazing . It is on mine and Scotts list of places to go and see 🙂

15. rachbblogs
    December 13, 2017 / 4:00 pm

I so want to go to Rome! It was going to go for my Honeymoon a few years back but was told not to go as it would have been in August. The one place I want to visit is the Vatican City!

16. Farrah Less Gomez
    December 13, 2017 / 3:13 pm

I love this trip of yours, Rome is on my bucket list. I enjoy browsing all your photos makes me wanna visit this beautiful city very soon. Thanks for the great tips as well very helpful.

17. December 13, 2017 / 2:21 pm

I love that it is still warm in September – ideal for a trip without kids once everyone is back to school in the UK!