How to Spend a Day in Mainz #solo adventures

Mainz is a wine capital of Germany and it’s a city famous for inventing the movable type printing press. Until a couple of days ago I did not even know such a city even existed. The power of traveling and exploring is truly amazing, everyday I discover something new. I had a simple plan when I went to Frankfurt, I would tour the city slowly in 72-hrs. But as fortunate would have it, I finished Frankfurt in a day and half and needed another place to explore. I had considered Stuttgart but it was simply to far and expensive for my budget, Mainz was chosen. For two simple reasons;

• It is really close to Frankfurt – 30-40 minutes train ride, I took the S8 underground train
  • It was really affordable – I paid almost 9 euros each way on the S8 train.

With no knowledge about the city or what to expect, I embarked on a journey I won’t soon be forgetting. I have 5 umbrellas but some how I managed to leave them ALL in the UK and took none to Frankfurt. The day to tour Mainz started with so much rain it hurt to go outside but I was not deterred. I had every intention of making use of my day and no rain was going to stop me!!!

Mainz

How-to Spend a Day in Mainz

Mainz is a city lying on the west bank of River Rhine, formerly a fort for the Roman empire in the German region. Today it is a city known for its incredible university, inventing pressing and wine city. A city that is easily accessible from Frankfurt Am Main {by train or bus} and even Frankfurt Hahn {by bus}. As mentioned above, you can grab the S8 train from Frankfurt Central Station {Hauptbahnhof} or RE trains. Another option is ICE trains but these are much more expensive though faster.

When I arrived at Mainz Hauptbahnhof on that rainy morning, all I wanted was to get onto a tour bus. Unfortunately or was it fortunate, I couldn’t find one or maybe it wasn’t running that day. Regardless it pushed me to research what popular sights there were in the city and off I went. Pinterest is often my friend in terms of finding things to do, other bloggers have done the work already. With that I decided I was going to visit as many tourist spots whilst getting lost along the way.

Schillerplatz {Schiller Place}

Considered a ‘green-area’ in Mainz and is the most central place in the city. When I arrived they had a mini Christmas market going which was absolutely lovely. Even with the rain, it had a notable number of guests present enjoying the food and wine. Using google maps it was no more than 10 – 15 minutes walk from the train station.

Mainz Cathedral Dom {aka St. Martin’s Cathedral}

A 10th century Roman Catholic church located in the market place of Mainz facing Gutenberg Museum. It is a site to be beheld standing tall in this small German city on the banks of River Rhine. It is one of the most important churches in Germany designed by Ludwig Becker. The Cathedral is to the left of Schillerplatz, a mere 5 minute walk but it is viewable from a distance.

Gutenberg Museum

Gutenberg Museum ⇑

Named after it’s inventor Johannes Gutenberg is one of the oldest printing museums in the world. It is located opposite the Main Dom and was founded over 500 years ago. It is a treasure trove which has been dedicated to celebrating Johannes life and the printing world.

St Stephan {St. Stephen’s Church}

One of the most popular churches in Germany, it was completely destroyed during the WWII. Restorative works have been done and though I didn’t get a chance to see the blue windows which it is famous for. It was initially built for the holy Roman empire as the Empire’s Place of Prayer.

citadel, mainz

Zitadell {Citadel} ⇑

Originally the Citadel was an Abbey but later became a fortress of Mainz and sheltered the people during the various wars. It is a beautiful complex which I wish I could have seen inside but was closed on the day of my visit.

Christuskirche {Christ Church}

Christ Church is a protestant church which was badly damaged during the war but fully reconstructed after. It was designed by Eduard Kreyssig and has an 80 meter dome which makes it a popular attraction. I was completely blown away by the church and wished I had more time to enter.

state museum, mainz

Landesmuseum {State Museum} ⇑

One of the oldest museums in Germany, a museum of arts and history which was opened in 2010 after restorative work. It is located in the centre of the city of Mainz in the former electoral stables and has a huge collection of cultural arts.

Mainz

Sites I stumbled upon in Mainz

• Rathaus  {City Hall}!! Every city has a town hall and Mainz is no except although not every city hall has some incredulous designs outside them. I stumbled upon the city hall by accident, ok I got lost with my google maps and found the city hall. It is right next to the banks of river Rhine but not too far from the shopping streets of Mainz.
  • Holzturm {Wood Tower}!! This was another attraction that I stumbled upon after finding myself at the city hall which this tower faces. It is not that hard to miss, the design is gothic and dates back to the 15th century.
  • Gautor !! The Gautor or Gate is exactly as you’ve read it, it’s the only thing remaining of the fortress built around 1650. It’s a two-minute walk from St Stephan’s church and about 10 from Zitadell. I wasn’t truly sure what to expect and when I saw it wasn’t anything special.

St. Ignaz, mainz

St Ignaz {Parish of St. Ignatius}

Walking in the old town of Mainz I stumbled upon many beautiful buildings of which St Ignaz was one. It is a patronage church built around 1775 and is decorated nicely with gray figurines.

There are so many other places I managed to stumble upon on my one day in Mainz. It was raining all day but it did not stop me enjoying the city and you can too. I walked everywhere though public transport is readily available.

Have you ever been to Mainz, what were your initial thoughts?

Pin for later!!

1. December 19, 2017 / 2:13 am

I’ve never heard of Mainz either, but it looks absolutely beautiful! I love the architecture. Thanks for sharing. I owe it to myself to visit Europe someday!

2. Dena S
    December 18, 2017 / 4:26 am

I can honestly say I have never heard of Mainz! It looks like a gorgeous place that I would absolutely LOVE to visit!! I love history so this place is perfect!

3. December 17, 2017 / 5:50 pm

There are a lot of options here to choose from. It looks like a busy, yet productive 24 hours!

4. December 16, 2017 / 7:39 pm

Lots of old churches it looks like! I would go for a stroll around then.

5. Chiara Lisbeth de Lisi
    December 16, 2017 / 3:07 pm

Such a beautiful place to visit, would definitely go there one day! I’m from Italy and Germany is really close, would be perfect for a relaxing weekend !

6. Jennifer G
    December 16, 2017 / 1:33 pm

This looks like a fantastic place to visit. I am going to have to check it out for myself some day.

7. kim@hungryhealthygirl
    December 16, 2017 / 12:26 pm

This looks like such a fun place to visit. I love all of your ideas of things to do too!

8. jennifuchs
    December 16, 2017 / 9:11 am

I’ve never been to Mainz but it looks pretty. Putting it on my list 🙂

9. Amy @ MI Savings Mama
    December 16, 2017 / 4:04 am

I’ve never been to Germany. I would love to visit Mainz some day though. The beautiful buildings have sealed that.

10. Battle Mum (BattleMum)
    December 15, 2017 / 10:24 pm

We haven’t been to Germany yet at all but are hoping to visit parts of it next year. Sounds like you had a lovely surprise visit.

11. Courtney Blacher
    December 15, 2017 / 10:20 pm

I’m really glad that you had fun there! 24 hours is not enough to explore this place.

12. Janelle Dominique Swing
    December 15, 2017 / 9:33 pm

What a beautiful place to relax and visit!

13. Jen Sky Walker
    December 15, 2017 / 9:28 pm

The metal spiral-like sculpture in one of the last photos is really cool, but I’m not really sure where it was based on the description. Is it outside City Hall?

14. Becca Wilson
    December 15, 2017 / 9:00 pm

This looks like it would be an amazing place to visit. I have always wanted to go to Germany.

15. chubskulit
    December 15, 2017 / 6:46 pm

Wow such a gorgeous place to visit. I love the architectural design of those buildings, very beautiful.

16. December 15, 2017 / 6:25 pm

What a cool place! The architecture is beautiful and it looks like there is so much to explore. I have never been to Germany, it sounds like you had an amazing trip.

17. Nadia/Scandi Mummy
    December 15, 2017 / 4:02 pm

Despite the rain is looks and sounds like you had a great time exploring and got some beautiful photos. I’ve never been, but I’m off to Lubeck in February which I’m excited about especially as we get to visit a chocolate factory.

18. Jen At Dapperhouse
    December 15, 2017 / 2:21 pm

You are very adventurous to get from place to place, using public transportation and taking in so many sites. It looks like such a fun time.

19. Hannah Marie
    December 15, 2017 / 1:41 pm

I’ve never tried traveling alone because I’m scared, lol! But I think there is beauty and peace when traveling alone. Mainz is SO beautiful!

20. December 15, 2017 / 11:12 am

I have never been to Mainz but it sounds and looks fab. Would love to visit someday.

21. December 15, 2017 / 2:31 am

I’ve got the travel BUG and you’re only egging him on moreeeee! Thankfully starting NEXT SATURDAY traveling will commencee!!!!!

22. Melly
    December 15, 2017 / 1:40 am

These pictures are beautiful. I’ve never had a reason to go but seeing these photos I would be missing out if I never go.

23. Soon Joo Uh
    December 15, 2017 / 12:20 am

What a beautiful destination! I’ve never been to Mainz but it’s on my solo travel bucketlist!

24. December 15, 2017 / 12:05 am

THis looks like such a beautiful destination. I would love to visit this area with my family. Thanks for the tips on what to see!

25. WEMAKE7
    December 15, 2017 / 12:00 am

I have never been to Germany before but would love to someday. I would love to visit Mainz.

26. December 14, 2017 / 11:52 pm

Wow this place looks great for solo traveling :D… I need a getaway so this would be a best place to choose 😀

27. Pam W
    December 14, 2017 / 11:39 pm

How fun to stumble upon a mini Christmas market! It sounds like there is a lot to see in Mainz.

28. Anita Anderson
    December 14, 2017 / 10:58 pm

Wow, I didn’t know Mainz was known for wine. I will have to add this to my list of places to travel and see.

29. Tomi_C
    December 14, 2017 / 10:14 pm

I would start at the Gutenberg Museum. It’s been on my travel bucket list for years. It’s nice everything was within walking distance.

30. Deb
    December 14, 2017 / 9:38 pm

I’ve been meaning to write about solo female travelers too. I’m so glad I read your post and your thoughts around it! thanks for sharing 🙂

31. Ashley @irishred02
    December 14, 2017 / 9:28 pm

It looks beautiful there. I would love to visit Mainz one day!

32. December 14, 2017 / 9:27 pm

What a great place to visit with so much to do. Providing I bring an umbrella lol. I’d have to start at the ST. MARTIN’S CATHEDRAL because I love the details of this structure.

33. December 14, 2017 / 9:26 pm

34. Alli Smith
    December 14, 2017 / 6:46 pm

It never fails – when I need an umbrella, it’s always somewhere else. What a beautiful city and what a great way to spend the day!

35. Candy Kage
    December 14, 2017 / 5:45 pm

Since I won’t be visiting anytime soon being able to look at your pictures of all the different places is wonderful. Love the history behind the the city.

36. December 14, 2017 / 5:40 pm

Sounds like a super pretty city! I am going to Germany for Christmas but I am afraid I won’t be near Mainz. Maybe another time!

37. Alicia Taylor
    December 14, 2017 / 5:27 pm

Unfortunately, I’ve never left the US, but Germany is on my list after doing a DNA test and wanting to travel to DNA locations (gonna be a LOT of traveling). I will have to add this city, because it’s beautiful. Hopefully, I’ll see some sunshine.

38. Denise
    December 14, 2017 / 5:23 pm

I love that. The pictures are stunning. I love Germany it is such a beautiful country.

39. valmg
    December 14, 2017 / 4:38 pm

I have never been to Germany and it is on my travel bucket list. The architecture there looks like it’s so interesting.

40. December 14, 2017 / 1:35 pm

Wow, what amazing places you checked out. I would have loved that Christmas Market as well. Germany has some of the best ones.

41. TheGrowingMum
    December 14, 2017 / 12:31 pm

Looks so lovely. We’ll be going there next year so really looking forward to it 🙂

42. Melanie
    December 14, 2017 / 12:07 pm

How pretty does Mainz look, i would love to visit. Their Christmas markets look amazing and the cathedral would be on my must see list for sure x

43. December 14, 2017 / 11:21 am

Such a beautiful place, my new years resolution is to really travel more.

44. Tracy Morgan
    December 14, 2017 / 10:49 am

Oh, what a beautiful place and what a lucky find for you! I’ve never heard of it either! I love your adaptability and how you can just go with the flow – that’s why you are able to discover places like Mainz!

45. December 14, 2017 / 8:45 am

We haven’t travelled to Germany but it is on my destination wish list