5 Ways to maximise your travels

All my life I have thought, Live life without excuses and Travel without regrets. This little mantra has been my friend for the longest time, it is only recently I started implementing the latter. A life full of excuses is no life of mine, I have found ways to maximise my traveling. Online there are so many travel hacks that aim to help you maximise your travels but most require a credit card. The tips in this article are those that I personally use and have helped me to maximise my travels.

Traveling is one thing in life that I am happy to spend money on as it enriches my life in more ways than one. Since I took that first solo trip to Brussels, I can most certainly say I have changed big time. I am a confident enough person by nature but even I needed a lot of courage to travel solo. Traveling abroad on your own is never the easiest thing but once you do it, its exhilarating.

maximise travel

5 Ways to maximise your travels

How do you define travel? Does visiting your own country count as traveling or just a staycation? Personally travel for me is making a journey to somewhere I have never been before. For some be it locally, the next town over or further afield whilst for others it’s anywhere abroad. Regardless of your definition, here are some ways you can maximise your travels. These tips don’t require you to have a credit card, be part of some award program or using air miles.

Join a Travel Challenge

When I started out solo traveling I was super scared but I wanted to travel as much as I could. I had spent almost ten years waiting on someone to come with me and in the end I regretted it. To allow myself not to continue living a life of regret, I joined a travel challenge. I stumbled upon the #Take12Trips travel challenge from a fellow blogger and I knew I had to join it. The idea is to travel at least once a month for 12 months, travel doesn’t need to be abroad it can be local. I took on this challenge and made it one where I traveled abroad once a month and loved it.

Be a local tourist and enjoy Local Adventures

Another way to maximise your travels is to add local adventures to your travels by being a local tourist. Last year I became a member of the National Trust who work to preserve many historical properties in UK. For such a small fee, I have access to multiple properties to visit and it includes free parking which is a bargain. I started traveling locally and exploring all the national trust properties near my home. In 2018 I am hoping to start working my way further afield.

Plan ahead with Skycanner

Often people say to me, your flights must be hella expensive with all the traveling you do. In all honestly the most expensive flight I have ever purchased was to South Africa for £555. All the European adventures I go on, I don’t pay more than £15 (winter/Spring/Autumn) and £50 in summer. How? Well, I use Skycanner before I plan any trips plus utilize their ‘EXPLORE’ option. This is where they give you ideas of places you can visit and the cheapest prices available. In January 2018, I purchased a ticket to Toulouse for £4.99 making it less than a tenner return.

I know many people don’t like to be flooded with emails from airlines they probably just used once. But I can not recommend enough signing up to some of these budget airlines and luxury airlines. Every week I receive emails from Ryanair, Easyjet, Wizz Air and Emirates about deals they have ongoing. It is with Ryanair that I am able to find £4.99 tickets to mainland Europe, that is a bargain. With Wizz Air I joined the discount club where I pay £38 a year and get flights as cheap as £7.99. It’s all about doing your research, planning ahead and watching out for these deals.

Search for package deals on Groupon

One thing I always do aside from the aforementioned is checking the daily email from Groupon for deals. I once found a 3-night deal to Milan for £99 included 3∗ hotel plus flights from London Gatwick. Since then I am always in search of great deals for my next adventure and other times I use it for local adventures. You can always rely on Groupon to find some incredible deals for everyone include trips abroad.

And there you have it, 5 ways to maximise your travels without reward cards or air miles. Whilst I do not object to credit rewards or air miles, not everyone can get the cards with the best deals. Not everyone flies often enough to accumulate enough miles for a free trip somewhere. But with my tips, you can definitely start off at home and work your way up.

How do you maximise your travels? Do you have any travel hacks that you would recommend to someone looking to maximise their travels?

maximise travel

1. May 15, 2018 / 12:58 pm

I love the idea of a Travel Challenge. As a family, we tend to go out and about most weekends and holidays but it would add to the fun if we were to challenge ourselves that bit further! Thanks for your tips on using Skyscanner and Groupon as good places to search for deals – I’ll definitely keep them in mind. Happy travelling!

2. May 1, 2018 / 10:56 am

We have been NT members for several years but have just joined english heritage now too

3. Fatima
    April 28, 2018 / 11:44 pm

I love traveling and really enjoy exploring new places. Just came back from Switzerland last week and it was one of the best trips of my life.

• April 29, 2018 / 11:59 am

Glad to hear it, I enjoyed Switzerland when I visited last year except for how expensive it was

4. April 28, 2018 / 7:47 pm

I love websites such as sky scanner. They’re great for finding amazing deals. I always think it’s easier to find cheaper flights and accommodation if you’re open to location x

• April 29, 2018 / 12:01 pm

That’s one of the many reasons I love using Skyscanner, it has introduced me to some amazing places which I have come to love

5. April 28, 2018 / 9:57 am

A travel challenge sounds like a fantastic idea, it doesn’t even have to be abroad does it! Just a nice weekend visiting a new place, I think even I could manage that

• April 28, 2018 / 1:55 pm

Exactly why I love travel challenges, it is all about how you interpret it. Local travels is an incredible way to maximise one’s travel

6. April 28, 2018 / 7:39 am

Solo travel is the best, I think. No one to worry about except yourself. I’ve never tried any of these tricks though, but they seem sensible money-saving ideas!

• April 28, 2018 / 1:53 pm

I agree big time, I have learnt so much whilst doing solo travel.

7. April 28, 2018 / 12:52 am

These are great ways to maximise travel. I love searching for deals and Groupon is a good site to do that.

• April 28, 2018 / 1:53 pm

I do love Groupon and still use it so often to find the best deals

8. April 27, 2018 / 11:03 am

Great tips, I didn’t even know that Travel Challenges existed – definitely a great way to make the most of your trips!

• April 28, 2018 / 1:52 pm

Oh they do love, and the sometimes its just fun to have something to follow as motivation

9. April 27, 2018 / 3:29 am

Great tips! We use the explore option quite a lot with our travels, especially when travelling long term and needing to find cheap flights! I never think to sign up to airline’s mailing list, but maybe I need to start doing that!

• April 27, 2018 / 8:03 am

The airline mailing list is a God sent i love it

10. April 26, 2018 / 11:29 pm

So many people forget about their local area when they think about travelling, but I think it is so important to get to know where you live too, it’s amazing what you can discover on your doorstep!

• April 28, 2018 / 1:51 pm

Tell me about it but I was once that too, I used to think travel meant getting on a plane and jetting off somewhere abroad

11. April 26, 2018 / 10:40 pm

I have found Skyscanner such a help when planning trips – you never know the different routes and airlines you can take to save time and money

• April 28, 2018 / 1:50 pm

That’s why I love it so much as there are so many options for many don’t even consider

12. April 26, 2018 / 9:48 pm

These are fab tips! As someone with very little extra money at the end of the month, I need all the help I can get. I know my Dad uses Groupon constantly, every holiday, every day out, every trip anywhere!

• April 28, 2018 / 1:49 pm

I use groupon a lot too and can not recommend it enough as I have found amazing deals there

13. April 26, 2018 / 9:02 pm

Fantastic tips, the cost is always my hold back but great to know their are some money saving ways

• April 28, 2018 / 1:49 pm

Cost is a hold back for many but it doesn’t have to be, local travel doesn’t need to cost much if at all.