Athens Weekend Getaway: Five Must See Places

Weekend getaways to Europe are one of my favorite past times and an Athens weekend getaway is a must. One thing I love about living in the UK is how accessible mainland Europe is to us. Brexit or not, I will still continue with my city escapes, I am not limiting myself to only European destinations. Our recent city escape came in a form of a staycation to Salisbury and Stonehenge.

There is no doubt about it but traveling is one of my favourite hobbies that I am fortunate to enjoy. If you told me five years ago I would be traveling as much as I do now, I would have just laughed. You see back then I wasn’t in a place where I could prioritize traveling alone or otherwise. The fear was too great and I lacked in certain skills; money management aka budgeting. Five years later I feel like a pro at both money management and traveling the world solo or with family.

Athens Weekend Getaway

Athens Weekend Getaway

Athens is a city I had been wanting to visit for the longest time, years back I even made plans to visit. Until the financial crisis struck and the city started to experience riots. This caused me to cancel the trip and pack up any ideas of visiting alone ever. Until this year when I found a deal too good to pass up via Expedia and before I knew I had booked.

Like most of my solo trips abroad, I rarely have a solid plan of places I want to visit whilst in town. Often I plan my day the morning of unless I needed to book certain things in advance. Athens weekend getaway was no different, the only exception was I did not actually stay in Athens. Regardless I had the best time exploring the two Greek cities and the weather was on my side.

Athens Weekend Getaway

Getting around Athens

As mentioned, I did not stay within Athens but rather opted for port of Piraeus. Athens is easy enough to navigate; buses, trains and taxis – these can be quite extortionate price. Traveling from Athens airport, I took bus x96 to Piraeus, it took 45 minutes and cost 6 euros. Another option was to take the metro line 3 to Monastiraki then change to metro line 1 to Piraeus.

Five Must See Places in Athens

Whilst I rarely plan which spots I want to visit in any given city, I always have at least five must see places. For the recent Athens weekend getaway, I knew the following places are ones I need to visit at whatever cost.

Athens Weekend Getaway

Acropolis and Parthenon

Acropolis is such a vision,  sitting on the sacred rock is Parthenon which can be seen even from Piraeus. When tourists flock the city of Athens, high on the list is acropolis and Parthenon, it takes your break away. I knew from the moment I saw acropolis that I was willing to hike up the hill to visit this incredible monument. One recommendation I would make is wear appropriate footwear as you will need it and the support.

Acropolis Museum

Over the last few years I have become such a huge lover of visiting the city museums. I was impressed by how modern the acropolis museum is, the glass flooring on some areas made for some interesting basement view. The museum has an archaeological focus on findings from the Acropolis of Athens.

Athens Weekend Getaway

Monastiraki Square and the Flea Market

Staying in Piraeus, I took a train to Monastiraki where I got off near the flea market and was definitely fascinated. It wasn’t as busy as I have seen in pictures but it was definitely a vision. From the square I could clearly see the impressive and domineering acropolis from a distance.

Climb Lycabettus

Whilst I wish I had visited at sunset, during the day was just a vision as well. An impressive birds eye view of the city of Athens, I was able to sit back and enjoyed the view. It is a popular tourist destination not to be missed, sitting 300 meters above sea level.

Hadrian’s Library

Sitting on the north side of Acropolis, Hadrian’s library was created in AD 132 in roman forum architectural style. It is such an imposing structure that you will encounter on your way from Monastiraki square. I was fascinated by the remains of the library which was seriously damaged during the Herulian invasion.

Whilst I was happy with the time I spent in Athens, I was most happy by the fact that my hotel was in Piraeus. Located only a few minutes walk from Port of Piraeus, I was able to watch the ships come in harbor. The weather was perfect on both days, the food was cheap and very much delicious.

Athens Weekend Getaway

1. LucyDorrington
    April 13, 2018 / 9:45 pm

This post has made me really want to visit Athens. I went to Crete when I was very young, and I would love to see more of Greece.

2. Anjanette Young
    April 13, 2018 / 3:28 am

Athens looks so beautiful. Greece is on my list of places to travel to, but I think I would need more then a weekend to see it all.

3. April 12, 2018 / 9:08 pm

I want to visit Athens so badly!I have saved this post so I can use it as my little tour guide when i finally go there 🙂 x

4. Stephanie
    April 12, 2018 / 8:42 pm

Ive never been to Greece before but it’s somewhere i would like to go. You fitted so much in as well, stunning place

5. rika
    April 12, 2018 / 9:16 am

I love historical place like this! I’ve never been to Greece. Is it safe? I’d love to visit soon!

6. Kristine Nicole Alessandra VA
    April 12, 2018 / 8:42 am

Greece is on the top of my bucket list. I long for that day when I can travel there and see Athens and then go to Santorini too. You are lucky to live so close and have a weekend getaway to one of the places I dream of visiting!

7. April 12, 2018 / 8:41 am

That’s really awesome! I’ve always loved Athens and this is a good guide for people who are planning to visit especially if it’s their first time.

8. Peter Macintosh
    April 12, 2018 / 2:28 am

Athens looks so amazing. I have a ton of friends from Greece and they all tell me Athens is top of the list to visit.

9. Heather Castillo
    April 12, 2018 / 1:49 am

I’ve always wanted to go to Greece. While I’m not sure we will ever get there, I love that I can live vicariously through others, through their pictures.

10. valmg
    April 12, 2018 / 12:49 am

I have always wanted to to to Greece, it’s been on my travel bucket list for a long time. I always plan what Im going to see if it’s a new place, some of the places you mentioned are ones I’d like to see.

11. Battle Mum (BattleMum)
    April 11, 2018 / 10:20 pm

Sounds like you had a great visit to Greece. I’d love to visit Athens one day and the places you’ve mentioned are right up my street so they’re on the wish list!

12. Melissa Chapman
    April 11, 2018 / 9:47 pm

Being from the US we don’t get to see ancient sites like the ones in Greece that are so old and amazing. I would love to travel to Greece one day and see those places you describe.

13. Christy Garrett
    April 11, 2018 / 8:20 pm

I have always wanted to go to Athens. There are so many historical attractions that I would love to see in person. I’m not a huge history fan but I do enjoy visiting historical places.

14. Jeanette
    April 11, 2018 / 7:35 pm

I would love to travel there! You go to all the places I dream to go to! I hope at some point in the future that I can travel as much as you are.

15. April 11, 2018 / 7:27 pm

Athens looks like a beautiful city. I love that all the attractions are linked to historical events and milestones. Such pretty pictures!!

16. April 11, 2018 / 4:56 pm

I would love to see Acropolis and Parthenon. It would really be nice to see the heritage and the epic stories in these walls.

17. Doria Miyata Murphy
    April 11, 2018 / 4:45 pm

Oh my gosh, Athens is near the top of our bucket list! We’re such mythology and Greek history buffs <3 This got me even more excited!

18. April 11, 2018 / 4:23 pm

Athens is definitely on my list of places to visit. The architecture is something I feel only can be done justice by seeing in person.

19. Newcastle Family Life
    April 11, 2018 / 1:42 pm

I am planning on visiting Greece next year as it always looks and sounds so amazing. I have never visited Athens before but my partner really wants to go and visit the sights. It sounds like you packed a lot into your weekend x

20. April 11, 2018 / 1:19 pm

I’d want to go to all of these places since I love history. I’ve always wanted to go to Greece since it’s so pretty there. Plus I’m all about cheap food since I love to eat.

21. Candy Kage
    April 11, 2018 / 1:05 pm

We lived in Greece for a year and there is so much history and beautiful places to visit. The beaches are unbelievable. Athens is a must see.

22. Tasheena N. Womack
    April 11, 2018 / 1:00 pm

This looks like such a fun adventure! I can’t wait to visit Athens with my family. I know they’re going to love it.

23. April 11, 2018 / 12:32 pm

Greece is a bucket list item for me. You mentioned a deal on Expedia, but didn’t say what it was. How did you get to Greece?

24. Lauren Porter
    April 11, 2018 / 8:22 am

I’ve always wanted to visit Athens after falling in love with Greece. These would be on my list too especially the Parthenon x

25. Kara
    April 11, 2018 / 7:38 am

I love Greece and have visited a lot of the islands but have never quite made it to Athens. It looks gorgeous, but very busy

26. April 10, 2018 / 6:47 pm

This post brings back some memories! I’ve had some great time in Athens!!

27. April 10, 2018 / 3:00 pm

I think I would have these places top of my list as well. I have never been to Athens so I think they would be a must for me to experience the history and culture of the city.

28. Helen Jacob-Lloyd
    April 10, 2018 / 1:31 pm

Oh wow what incredible culture and history to see. I’d love to visit Athens one day 🙂