Lunch at Wagamama Reading – Summer Menu

Wagamama was found over 25 years ago specialising in the Asian cuisine and practicing the philosophy of Kaizen. Kaizen means good change, it shapes every dish they make and strive to ensure all the meals are created fresh. Wagamama prides itself in creating menus that inspire, sustain, soothe and are nourishing. We were recently invited to taste out the new summer menu, in this article we share our experience.

Wagamama

When the invite landed in my mailbox I read it with bated breath not knowing what to expect. I was over the moon when I learn it was an invite to review the Reading branch. Before I knew what my fingers where doing I texted my sister and we agreed on a date. The weekend couldn’t come fast enough for we had scheduled a sisterly date. Thankfully the weather was incredible over the weekend we even managed to nap in the park.

Lunch at Wagamama Reading

Over the last couple of years, I have lost count of how many times I have visited Wagamama branches. I have been for lunch and dinner and almost always I order the same thing ‘Fire-Cracker’. The only change I make is either firecracker chicken or firecracker prawns, both are delicious. I am one of those people who once they find what they like, they rarely change. That has been my routine for the last couple of years until our recent visit. And let me tell you, I am so delighted to have tried other items from the summer menu.

Wagamama

One thing that we have always loved about Wagamama is the quality of the food served in their restaurants. There has never been a time I have visited and not enjoyed the food or the service which is always exception. Yes sometimes the wait can be a-bit longer if the restaurants are busy but it hasn’t been a our experience. Our experience at the Reading branch certainly affirmed our love of Wagamama and it’s people.

Summer Menu

As part of their philosophy of Kaizen, Wagamama always try to bring good change to their restaurants. Every season they try to introduce new items to the menu and we tried the newer additions. These include: Tama Squid, Harusame glass noodle salad, Vegastu plus few drink additions like sake. You can find the full menu.

We had arranged to arrive at the restaurant at 1.30pm, we were quickly shown to our table. Within a few minutes our server introduced himself and allowed us to ask questions before browsing the menu. We quickly made our decision of what we wanted to start with as well as drinks. For the drinks, I opted for mid saké – Japanese rice wine and my sister chose ants craft beer. Both these items are new items to the summer menu, both very refreshing and vegetarian friendly.

Wagamama

Starters

For starters both my sister and I were very keen to try the Tama Squid – squid ball infused with cheese. This is the first cheese based dish Wagamama has done, it’s a tasty dish for sure and crunchy too. The dish is described as ‘crispy fried squid balls, drizzled with okonomiyaki sauce and mayonnaise, finished with Aomori and bonito flakes.

One thing I have been craving badly over the last few weeks was steamed buns. We decided to try the hirata steamed buns stuffed with Korean barbecue beef +red onion. These are the fluffiest and softest asians buns I have had in a long time, best served warm.

Wagamama

Salads

I am one of those people who loves a good salad but it has to have meat in it. It’s rarely for me to enjoy a salad without meat in it so I made sure our choice has meat. One of the new salads on the menu is harusame glass noodle salad. The glass noodles are an addition to the already expansive noodles on the Wagamama menu. The glass noodles were mixed with kale, edamame, adzuki beans, mange tout, blackened carrots and pea shoots. Topped with fresh mint, crispy fried shallots and dressed with spicy vinegar. The combination of flavours had us confused but happy at the same time with crunchiness of the salad.

Mains

When it came to the mains, we knew exactly what we wanted to eat, something new and something old. Something new my sister opted for Vegastu – vegan cats curry, sultan coated in crispy panko breadcrumbs. Covered in an aromatic curry sauce with sticky white rice and a seasoned side salad.

Wagamama

I however opted the Wagamama ramen, something I have been craving for the longest time. What I loved about the ramen was it had everything; chicken, pork, prawns, mussels as well as a yea-stained egg. Best ramen I have had since I returned from Korea and happy to eat it again and again.

The portion sizes of both the Vegastu and ramen were huge and very filling so much that we took some home. The starters as well as the salad is enough to have a full stomach we didn’t really need the mains or dessert. But that’s unlike us and besides we were eager to try as much as we could on the summer menu.

Wagamama

Desserts

Now, when it comes to dessert it doesn’t matter how supposedly full I am there is always room. I have a knack for creating space in my belly, big enough for as much dessert as I need. During our visit to Wagamama, I opted for yuzu and lemon tart served with fresh raspberry compote. As for my sister she loves her sorbet, she chose pink guava and passionfruit sorbet.

We enjoyed our desserts a little too much and was ready for seconds but alas we couldn’t. As I write this post I am salivating just looking at the pictures of the food and the desserts. We can not recommend them enough, I have another girls night in Wagamama arranged.

A huge thank you to Wagamama UK for the invite!!

We were guests of Wagamama and offered a gift card in exchange for reviewing the summer menu

1. October 8, 2018 / 2:17 pm

Oh my goodness is that food amazing! We do not have that restaurant here but if we did I think I would go broke because I would want to go there all the time. I can’t even believe that’s just the lunch menu!

2. October 8, 2018 / 2:17 pm

Somehow I have never been to Wagamama before, but would love to try their delicious new menu. So many lovely dishes!

3. October 8, 2018 / 2:17 pm

we went to Wagamamas recently too and I had the new squid – unusual but really tasty 🙂

4. October 8, 2018 / 2:17 pm

Oh man all of this food looks amazing!! I would love to be able to go here and try some yummy things!!

5. Gemille Sleweon
    October 8, 2018 / 2:17 pm

This food looks so delicious! I would love to try that vegan katsu. Thanks for sharing!

6. October 8, 2018 / 2:17 pm

The salad is definitely a yes for me. And the ramen is something my nephews and I would love to try. Recently, I have been savoring this with the spicy oil concocted from home. Then I sniff but we continue to enjoy!

7. Jeanine
    October 8, 2018 / 2:17 pm

Wow everything looks so delicious! I would love to give this restaurant a try, I love trying new things lately and it all looks so good!

8. October 8, 2018 / 2:17 pm

I’ve never tried Wagamama before! It’s really interesting, I love the menu and the combination of flavors. This is definitely a place that I don’t mind trying when I visit the UK! The photos made me hungry!

9. October 8, 2018 / 2:17 pm

I absolutely love Wagamama. I&#8217m dying to try the vegan katsu, sounds very interesting. Those squid balls have peaked my interest too&#8230
    Katie xoxo

10. October 8, 2018 / 2:17 pm

I really like Wagamama. But recently I discovered Shoryu in London which is the best ramen place i have ever been. Have you ever tried it?

Mika

11. brianne
    October 8, 2018 / 2:17 pm

There’s been one here in NYC that I’m dying to check out. This post just made me want to make a res!

12. October 8, 2018 / 1:59 pm

Haha, I’m the same way about dessert: I can be stuffed, but I always make room for it. My Mom is appalled. “But we just ate so much!” So? I want some pie.

This place looks spectacular. I love the decor, and I’d gobble up all the food.

13. hannah
    October 8, 2018 / 1:58 pm

The summer menu looks very good. I always enjoy a meal at Wagamama

14. June 14, 2018 / 8:20 pm

15. brianne
    June 14, 2018 / 11:20 am

16. Gemille Sleweon
    June 14, 2018 / 12:34 am

17. June 13, 2018 / 6:04 pm

I love Wagamama and I really want to try out that Vegatsu. Those steamed buns look amazing though…

18. June 13, 2018 / 5:33 pm

I love the fact that they have so many awesome items to try on the menu! I’ve been to the UK a couple of times but I’ve never tried dining there before! I know where to eat the next time.

19. June 13, 2018 / 3:23 pm

I had those little hirata steamed buns at the weekend and they are heavenly. I so want to make them at home as they could be such a staple of my diet!
    C x

20. Jeanine
    June 13, 2018 / 3:14 pm

21. October 8, 2018 / 2:17 pm

22. October 8, 2018 / 2:17 pm

23. June 13, 2018 / 11:50 am

24. October 8, 2018 / 2:17 pm

C x

25. June 13, 2018 / 10:59 am

I don’t normally eat dessert when we eat but those look so good! I wish there is a place like that here. Unfortunately, all we have is Chinese buffet which I’m not fond of.