Planning to Spend Time at The Airport? Keep Entertained!

If you are getting a flight, then you will usually have to arrive at the airport early. This means that you will have to do something to entertain yourself while you are there. If your flight is delayed you will need to be there even longer and it is a good idea to be prepared just in case. Even though you can do a few things at the airport, it’s best to plan in advance. You might want to make sure that you think through what you might like to do during the wait.

Airport

Mobile devices

Most people will rely on their mobile devices to entertain themselves while in this sort of situation. This can be a great idea, especially if you have downloaded lots of entertaining apps. However, you will need to make sure that you will be able to get free wi-fi or use your data so make sure that you have enough money to be able to do this.

If you are abroad then it might be really expensive to use you’re roaming and so you should check this in advance. Many apps work without an internet connection and so these are the ones to make sure that you have. You will need to make sure that everything is fully charged and having some spare batteries with you could be wise. You may think that a charger is enough, but it may be hard to find a charging socket at an airport that is not being used by someone else.

Books/magazines

It can be a really good idea to take a book with you to get absorbed in. Obviously the type of book will depend on what you like to read. It is best not to try something very different to what you normally like as you could find that you do not like it. However, it is good to choose something that you have not read before. Therefore pick an author or theme that you are confident that you will like.

If you do not read books, then having a magazine or newspaper can be a good alternative. You can also pass it on to someone else once you have finished with it or swap with them. They will sell these at the airport but it may be better to get one before you arrive just in case they do not have one you like or have sold out. This will be more likely with a magazine than newspaper unless you are travelling late in the day. Some people find flicking through a magazine suits them better at an airport than getting involved in a long book, but it is all down to personal choice.

Eating and drinking

Taking some time to enjoy a drink or a nice meal can help to pass the time and even serve as entertainment while waiting for your flight. If you are delayed for a long time you may even be eligible for compensation in the way of food vouchers and so you may be able to get some for free, if you are lucky. It all depends on where you flight starts and where the airline is based.

Airport

Games

Playing games can be a good way to pass the time as long as you have someone to play them with. Playing cards can be good as they are small and so easy to carry in your luggage and you do not need a lot of room to play the games either. There are also lots of different games you can play with the one pack. There are other small games that you could take, depending on what you have at home. You could always make up games or play pen and pencil games. Whether or not you have children with you, a game can be a good way to pass the time.

Music

Many people enjoy listening to music and it can be a good way for some people to relax. Listening to the radio also takes very little battery power compared to a mobile device and so it is something that you can do for a long time without having to worry about the energy that it needs. Of course many will listen to music on their mobile device. If this is the case, then it can be wise, as explained above, to make sure that you have spare batteries as well as charging cables.

Shopping

Airports tend to have shops that you can look in while you are waiting around. Although this can be fun, you do need to make sure that you are not tempted to spend money on things that you do not need. While looking at what is for sale can pass time and be fun, remember that the prices are usually much higher and so if you want to buy anything, you will be better off waiting and buying it cheaper elsewhere.

Collaborative post

1. June 25, 2018 / 8:55 am

I always listen to my music and read my book while waiting at the airport, although luckily I never find I am waiting too long x

2. June 22, 2018 / 9:34 pm

This is a great post! I love drinking while I’m waiting for my plane!

3. June 22, 2018 / 8:01 am

Well, music and shopping are my go to! Or at least window-shopping because I don’t really wanna spend much money.. I’ve tried books once but I get so stressed at the airport so I couldn’t focus…

4. June 21, 2018 / 6:37 pm

I always keep a magazine handy, so that I never get bored while waiting for the flight to take off. Great tips. Bookmarked it!!

5. Kiwi
    June 21, 2018 / 2:20 pm

Yes sometimes you have long layovers at the airport. I havent had one in a while but yes my laptop keeps me entertained there is always something I can do on my computer.

6. June 21, 2018 / 2:05 pm

Hhahaa. THese are nice advice. I remember my frequent stay in airports, too and all i did then were to read a book, people watch, stand to grab some bite, and yes shop.

7. June 21, 2018 / 10:08 am

Flying is the only time I ever get to read my book. I love it – especially transatlantic flights as you can get in LOTS of reading then 🙂

8. June 21, 2018 / 3:54 am

When traveling always expect to get stuck somewhere for a little while like airport, and yes, having something to listen to would definitely help with the boredom.

9. June 20, 2018 / 8:07 pm

I always remember to have my phone or tablets to let my son watch some cartoons and obviously his toys:)

10. June 20, 2018 / 1:11 pm

I needed this list last week at the airport — except it was for me and my husband! The problem with mobile devices is that plugs are limited and everyone has a charger nowadays! Nice post!

11. June 20, 2018 / 7:24 am

I’ve experienced traveling and waiting for so long at the airport. It’s not that easy. I need to entertained myself haha! Good that I’m traveling with my husband and my daughter so what we’re doin at the airport is keep walking and find place to take pictures. Then, go to a restaurant and eat then stayed their for so long just to kill the time. Then watched movie on my husband’s iPad at least we enjoyed watching movies together. Thanks for sharing. It’s so helpful for travelers.

12. June 20, 2018 / 7:07 am

I don’t travel a lot by airplane, but one of my friends does. I will make sure to pass along your wonderful tips!

13. Ada
    June 20, 2018 / 7:01 am

I love to check out everything the airport has to offer! But once that’s done definitely need something else and a book usually does the trick for me!

14. Gen
    June 20, 2018 / 6:28 am

I cant fly without my headset. I love listening to music or binge watching when im flying. Informative tips!

15. Gen
    June 20, 2018 / 6:26 am

I can’t fly without my headset with me. I love listening to music or watching when flying. Informative tips!

16. June 20, 2018 / 6:09 am

Great tips, I have often been bored at the airport while travelling. In bigger airports we can find a lot of things to do, but it is the smaller airports that are the problem.

17. Olga Zak
    June 20, 2018 / 5:55 am

These are great tips for the airport! I actually relax using music and reading. I like your suggestions. Thanks for sharing.

18. June 19, 2018 / 8:59 pm

I always have a book with me, so I just read. However, if the kids are with me, but I do take them shopping. That helps! Or if there’s free wifi, they play on their phones. But some airports have those dang limits.

19. June 19, 2018 / 6:40 pm

these are some great tips and suggestions. I actually relax using music and reading. thank you for sharing

20. June 19, 2018 / 6:25 pm

Great tips for the airport! I haven’t been delayed much but I don’t travel too often! But I would really love too once I save up money! Great article!

21. June 19, 2018 / 5:23 pm

It is also a great time to get some exercise in. Your legs need the reviving after being on a long flight.

22. June 19, 2018 / 4:22 pm

As a frequent traveler, airports and extended layovers can be a problem. I tend to walk as much as I can to keep the blood flowing, knowing that I will be seated for an extended period on a flight.

23. June 19, 2018 / 3:59 pm

These are great tips for occupying time in the airport when you are delayed or on time. It is nice when you are going because you have somuch to look forward to but coming home it is tougher.