• Germany’s Most Charming City, Bremen| First-timer Guide

Bremen is considered to be one of the most charming cities in Germany and I couldn’t agree more. If you’re unsure of whether to visit Bremen or not, I hope this article will convince you to do so. Bremen is not only charming, but it is also cute with a splendid old town, museums and greenery throughout the city. It is a city that has left a huge impression on me and has me planning my next trip there.

Not only is Bremen a charming city, but it is also one of the 16 federal states in Germany. It is the 10th largest city and the 11th most popular in the country with only 500,000 inhabitants. Bremen city lies along the Weser River which is located in the North Western region of Germany. In this article, we hope to share reasons why Bremen is a charming city from a first-timer’s perspective.

BREMEN Germany's Most Charming City

How To Get Around Bremen

Though Bremen is not a large city in comparison to Berlin, there is a distance between the north and south of the city. Regardless the city has great public transport system from buses, trams to taxis which are all affordable. The distance between the main station and the city centre is just 1 kilometre which is a walkable distance.

If you’re arriving via plane, the airport is about 6 kilometres away from the main station. Whilst taxis are cheap, tram #6 (direction university) is about 25+ minutes away. For €2.40 you can buy a single ticket to the main station although its free if you have the Bremen City Card.

BREMEN Germany's Most Charming City

Where to Stay in Bremen

When it comes to booking accommodation, I always want to find affordable places near the city centre. Though I am not opposed to staying outside the city if there are cheaper options available. But since Bremen is a small city, I found several accommodation types that I considered and which I chose.

As a solo traveller, I often opt to stay in places where I can mingle with fellow travellers. This is why I often choose hostels as it’s a great way to meet people and is very affordable. I chose to stay at the A&O hostel Bremen Hauptbahnhof.

Bremen Germany's Charming city
    Image Source: A&O

Hotels are great if I indeed to work during the evenings and therefore would recommend The Best Western Hotel. This hotel is located across the Main Station which is a perfect location and to its left is the Universum Bremen. The city has only one 5* hotel Dorint Park hotel, it is another place to consider for a luxury stay.

Where to Eat in Bremen

Whilst I wouldn’t consider myself to be a true foodie, I do enjoy trying the local cuisines. Bremen is full of incredible eateries dotted around the city and more around the market square. During my visit, I was able to try a couple of places which I loved.

CTK´s in the Obernstraße has the best French and sweet potato fries I have ever had. I had never tried wasabi sauce until I visited CTK’s and now I want it with all my French fries.

BREMEN Germany's Most Charming City

If you want to truly try the best Bremen cuisines then I would recommend visiting the Bremer Ratskeller a restaurant beneath the town hall. There I enjoyed the most delicious wine I had ever tried and this says a lot. I am not big on wine and rarely drink it but I had two glasses with my meal.

Another restaurant that was recommended to me but did not get a chance to eat at is The Lobby Restaurant. This is located inside Radisson Blu Hotel and I have heard nothing but praise. Next time I am in town it’s one place I definitely want to enjoy lunch at.

Bremen Sightseeing|Charming Areas

Bremen is an old city with over 1,200 years of history and the charm lies in the ‘old’. Though the city is small, there is an abundance of charming things to sightsee all around the city. For the purpose of this article, I want to focus on the areas I considered ‘charming’. All must visit places will be included in

Markplatz {Market Square}

Bremen Markplatz is the oldest public squares in the city and home to Hanseatic buildings surrounding the market square. It is the heart and a focal point of the city where you can sit and admire the city.

BREMEN Germany's Most Charming City

Roland Statue

This is the largest Roland Statue in Germany and is a symbol of trading rights and freedom since 1404. Together with the town hall, they are received UNESCO heritage status back in 2004. The statue was erected back in 1404 after the previous version of it which was wooden.

St Peter’s Cathedral

The cathedral is 1200 years old and sits between the Rathus and the State Parliament buildings. Entrance to the cathedral is free and €1 for entering the tour open to visitors.

BREMEN Germany's Most Charming City

Rathaus {Town Hall}

I have visited a few town halls across Germany and Europe and I must say this is the best one yet. It’s a UNESCO World Heritage site and a jewel in the crown of the historical market. Whist the town hall is open to guest, you have to book the guided tour and not open during official sessions.

BREMEN Germany's Most Charming City

Schütting (Chamber of Commerce)

The Schütting building is also known as the Chamber of Commerce was built in 1537 by Johann den Buschener. Facing the Rathaus, the gorgeous merchant building housing the Chamber of Commerce speaks of Bremen economic status.

Schnoor Quarter

Schnoor is considered the old town of Bremen, it’s an area lined with narrow lanes and small houses.  It is a must visit an area in the city filled with houses made around the 15th – 16th century. In this district, you can find the cutest cafes, craft shops and the narrowest lane in the city.

BREMEN Germany's Most Charming City

Böttcherstrasse

Located opposite the town hall and to the right of the Chamber of Commerce, its the 110-metre long lane. It was built around 1920 and is known for its unusual architecture and its considered a cultural attraction. It is a nice and quaint area where you can find the best sweets in the city and souvenirs.

I hope this first timer guide has convinced you Bremen is a charming city and lots to offer. Over the next few days, I will be sharing posts on this Bremen Getaway, Things to do and how to spend your time there.

BREMEN CITY
    BREMEN CITY

*Disclosure: I was a guest of Bremer Touristik-Zentrale (BTZ) who arranged a tour, Bremen City Card and Lunch at Ratskeller. This post contains affiliate links.

1. blair villanueva
      December 5, 2018 / 3:07 am

You are right, this city is very charming. I like the open spaces and the old buildings. I bet it is awesome to spend the holidays here.

2. December 3, 2018 / 3:37 am

ive always wanted to go to Germany. It is a dream I have ever since I learned Berlin is Germany’s capital.

3. December 1, 2018 / 3:08 pm

Oh wow! Bremen looks so amazing. It’s so clean and orderly and I love the architecture of the buildings. So romantic and historical. Would really love to visit someday.

4. Shanab
      November 30, 2018 / 5:51 pm

Charming is the word. What a cute little town. I love the architecture.

5. November 30, 2018 / 3:18 pm

I haven’t been to Germany yet despite living in Europe. It is definitely on my bucket list so I’ll go there someday as I have heard so much about it. So many places to go so little time.

6. Sundeep
      November 30, 2018 / 9:58 am

If I had all the money in the world I would have never come back home and would be traveling the whole world. Your blog entice me to travel more.

7. Adriana Lopez
      November 29, 2018 / 7:49 am

No doubt this is a charming place and the A&O hostel Bremen Hauptbahnhof looks so cool I would love to stay there. Germany is in my list so I will include Bremen as a must visit. LOvely pics too!

8. November 29, 2018 / 4:50 am

I’ve been trying to get my boyfriend to visit Germany with me for years, but he never wants to. He always tries asking what he would like there. Besides the fact that it’s where my ancestors come from, I try telling him about the architecture, scenery and food. Maybe the photos in this post will help change his mind. Thank you!

9. November 29, 2018 / 3:45 am

Germany isn’t one of those places I’ve ever really wanted to visit, but your pictures changed my mind. Everything looks and sounds so beautiful.

10. Kay
      November 29, 2018 / 3:12 am

It is so gorgeous there! I sure hop I can make it there someday.

11. November 29, 2018 / 3:09 am

This does look like a charming city! I am going to have to add this to my long bucket list of places to visit.

12. November 28, 2018 / 10:43 pm

It looks so beautiful there. I have yet to visit Germay. I never knew that hostiles could be so trendy and nice looking. I always had an image of old bunk beds shared in a room with like 10 people. Very informative!

13. November 28, 2018 / 10:21 pm

It certainly looks like a really great place to visit. I love the architecture throughout your pictures.

14. November 28, 2018 / 9:34 pm

I am amazed at how clean and friendly that hostel is. It changes my image of hostels for sure.

15. November 28, 2018 / 6:18 pm

What a beautiful town! I would love to get here one day. Exploring the Market Square would be fantastic.

16. November 28, 2018 / 11:32 am

Looks a wonderful city. Reminded me a bit of Bergen, Norway. Love the architecture and you have provided some cracking photos on this post!

17. November 28, 2018 / 8:51 am

This looks absolutely beautiful, I would love to visit Bremen. I have so far only been to Germany a handful of times, and think that during my next visit I need to spend more time in Germany.

Adding Bremen to my list of places I would love to visit, thank you so much for the tip!

18. November 28, 2018 / 7:21 am

So beautiful – your photos are just amazing! I have never been to Germany, but it is definitely on my travel list. Bremen looks charming indeed!

19. November 16, 2018 / 11:49 am

Bremen looks gorgeous, really chocolate box like. I really need to explore more of Germany and this looks perfect.

20. November 15, 2018 / 11:25 am

I have never been to Germany, but this place looks so lovely! And those bunk beds? Incredible. I’ll be adding this place to my Travel bucket list, for sure.

21. November 14, 2018 / 11:18 pm

I’ve never visited Germany yet and I would like to, it looks like you had a fun trip and I’m impressed with the hostel you stayed in. Mich x

22. November 14, 2018 / 2:48 pm

Bremen looks like just the kind of place I would love to visit. The architecture looks beautiful and the food sounds delicious! Another destination to add to my bucket list!

23. November 14, 2018 / 6:31 am

I think it’s really nice to head outside of the main touristy cities and see new places and Bremen isn’t somewhere I’d think to go usually x

24. November 13, 2018 / 10:41 pm

Bremen looks like such a beautiful city to visit. I’m so keen to visit Germany one day, whether with the kids or without.

25. Hannah Wood
      November 13, 2018 / 10:14 pm

This place looks so amazing and I bet it is perfect at this time of year too.

26. November 13, 2018 / 9:23 pm

I am going to go and investigate flights to Bremen as soon as I finish this comment. It looks such a fabulous city! There’s no place quite like Germany this time of year either.

Such a wonderful guide, thanks so much for sharing x