How to prepare for summer

veet - myrabev

Summer is already under-way in some parts of the world, the UK included and I have been thinking lately how I can go about and be prepared for it. There are so many things you can do to prepare you body and more especially your skin for this weather. We all know that during the harsh winter months our skin is exposed to so much damage including dehydration and dryness but that is also true for summer times. For most of us during the winter months we work very hard to keep our bodies warm and covered, some of us even go as far as stop shaving (legs, arm pits and you know where) but when summer arrives Bob Marley has got to go and I mean pronto.

So to help you prepare here is a few things I am using.

Sunscreen: I have mentioned on the blog before the importance of having sunscreen and not just any sunscreen but correct sunscreen for your skin type. So make sure when picking the sunscreen you choose the one that will work for your skin and will keep it protected in the sun for my skin type I use SP50+

Sunglasses: ok so this one is a no brainier but you can never go wrong with a good pair of sunglasses during summer. I have a tendency of going though sunglasses like socks so I am in need of a new pair already as current pair is all scratched up

Veet: I was sent the Veet roll on kit for an honest review.

I was given an option to choose between the Veet roll on kit, hair removal cream or wax strips. First off I am scared sh*tless of waxing so the waxing strips where definitely not on the menu for me, I have had my share of  hair removal creams so those we a no no for me. That left me with the Veet roll on kit, what I did not know is that it came with some waxing strips too so you can imagine the fun tears I had when using it as I have zero pain threshold.

The kit came with a self-heating device with a cap, the base and an electrical cable, a wax roll-on which can be used on both legs and arms. Also enclosed was some non-woven waxing strips, post-depilatory wipes and an instruction manual. I will not lie it was painful for me when using the roll on kit but I have pleasant results and for the short duration of the pain I will definitely continue using it and definitely recommend it.

sinivalia

Body Butter: During the summer months you want your skin to look all kind of lovely bronzed out and even, I have been trying Sinivalia‘s pure & natural Body Butter made with Aloe Vera for over a week now and I will honestly say I am very impressed. It has nourished my skin, kept it looking hydrated, it looks oiled but not oily and does not have the loose oil feeling either. I love how easy it is to apply and how moisturised my body remains and feels all day long. I high recommend this product, my ladies of colour no more adding baby oil in your lotion this one has you covered A-Z.

Water & ice lollies:  How can I not mention the importance of staying hydrated throughout the day and more especially when out and about in the sun. We lose more water in summer than in winter through the sweating in all the pores and we need to replenish the used up water. I am not a big fan of drinking water so I do flavoured water also I love lollies so I am buying them daily since we are experiencing a heat wave in the UK so I need it.

Light clothing: I am a–a this close to walking around naked to save my sanity in this heat. How on earth did I manage to survive this kind of heat 365 days a year for 16 years before we left for the UK over 10 years ago now? The only think I could come up with was light clothing. It’s important to have these around, some shorts, string tops and many more.

There you have it, now you are ready to start enjoying this summer with little to no worry.

What else would you add to the list?

Enjoy summer

signature

Disclaimer: I was sent the Veet Roll on kit and the body butter for an honest review, all opinions expressed are my own.

1. July 10, 2015 / 12:07 am

I think these are a great way to be Summer Ready. Too bad Summer is over for us and it is now the wet season here.

2. July 7, 2015 / 2:43 pm

Such a good list! I especially need to plan better when it comes to sunscreen. My pale skin can’t handle less than 50 SPF

3. July 7, 2015 / 3:22 am

I think this is very awesome! I’ve been wanting to try the Veet Roll on, so it’s awesome that you used it. I’m more determined to try it now!

4. July 6, 2015 / 11:25 pm

I have heard of Veet before. Does it hurt when you roll it on, like burning?

5. July 6, 2015 / 10:33 pm

It looks like you have it all covered! I’m going to need to p[ick up some wipes and get a wax!

6. Rebecca Swenor
    July 6, 2015 / 9:24 pm

This is a great list of must have for summer. I do love the idea of the ice lollipops. That is a fantastic idea. Thanks for sharing.

7. July 6, 2015 / 4:38 am

The last time I went on a summer picnic trip I forgot to bring sunscreen. At the end of the day there was a remarkable change in my skin. Haha. A time of learning for me 🙂 Sunscreen is a must for summer!

8. Bonnie @ wemake7
    July 6, 2015 / 3:34 am

Sunglasses are certainly a must. What a great list. I have really got to try these Veet Roll ons.

9. CourtneyLynne
    July 6, 2015 / 3:32 am

These are some really great things for summer!!! I’m all about sunscreen these days especially for my daughter.

10. July 6, 2015 / 2:15 am

Now that we live in a summer all year around city, we’re trying to figure out a better way to protect our skin. Sunscreen is a must but it’s so easy to forget to put it on.

11. July 5, 2015 / 11:11 pm

That’s a great list! I have to have a strong sunscreen and usually a good post-sunburn treatment with Aloe in my summer supplies. Nothing soothes quite like Aloe.

12. July 5, 2015 / 12:31 pm

What great ways to prepare for summer! I am one who cannot go out in the sun without having sunscreen and 50+ only recently came to Australia, despite Australia having the highest rate of skin cancer in the world! it does make one wonder, eh?

• July 5, 2015 / 6:10 pm

It does make you wonder indeed, I lived in Zambia for 16 years and no one ever talked about sunscreen and skin cancer was rare.

13. July 5, 2015 / 8:23 am

Great tips! Sunscreen is a must here…I love green people sunscreen as it stays on for hours and is all natural 🙂

14. July 5, 2015 / 7:23 am

Sunscreen is a must for me, even though I don’t burn easily at all I’m always conscious that as a sun worshipper I have to stay protected.

15. July 5, 2015 / 5:26 am

Hey I’m scared to wax too! I did once and never ever again. The good news with waxing is that it takes so ,uch longer for it to grow back…at least that’s what I hear. I had a friend who waxed “that part”…..eeeek! She said never again.

16. July 5, 2015 / 5:07 am

I use a 50+ sunscreen on my skin too. I try to remember to reapply it every couple hours too.

17. July 5, 2015 / 1:08 am

Great tips! Sunscreen is a MUST here year round, I just up my SPF in the summer and make sure that I get everyone before we head out.

18. July 4, 2015 / 11:33 pm

Lots of water is on my summer list! When I get dehydrated I get a horrible headache. Sunglasses are important too because I don’t want squinting wrinkles lol.

19. July 4, 2015 / 11:17 pm

Thanks a lot for these tips, I will keep this in mind since we are going for a vacation next week. I have neve tried veet before.

20. July 4, 2015 / 10:26 pm

Sunscreen is my must have beauty product throughout the year. I keep forgetting to take my sunglasses with me, though.

21. July 4, 2015 / 6:34 pm

These are awesome tips. The Veet roll on sounds interesting. I hate the wax strips that make my eyes well up.

22. July 4, 2015 / 1:54 pm

Great information shared through this blog! I hope now I can enjoy summers with little to no worry! 🙂