Things that give life a summer vibe

7378269858_eb174e67f8_z

There are certain things that always have a summer feel to them, even if technically they’re available all year round. Mention the word ‘summer’ and images of blue skies, ice cream cones, picnics, open top cars, and wacky seaside traditions such as arcade games, bingo, candy floss and giant sticks of rock pop into your head.

It’s not that these things aren’t available during the rest of the year, of course, but somehow they all add together to conjure up the heady cocktail of sensations that make up the essence of summer.

Summer time is playtime – online gaming anyone?

The long hours of daylight that we all enjoy during the summer months is one possible reason why summer seems more fun than any other season. And so it’s natural that we should feel more playful in the summer months. Of course, the fun and games we can have come in all shapes and sizes.

The traditional seaside resort has plenty of gaming traditions associated with it. We can play bingo on the seafront, or work our way around the games arcade. Outdoors, there’s the beach to play games such as rounders, cricket and Ultimate Frisbee and games you always find by the sea like crazy golf.

True, outdoor games such as crazy golf and other sports may depend on the weather but a game like bingo can be played anytime, especially now that you can play online at sites such as bgo, Cheeky Bingo and Buzz Bingo. And playing online gives you the convenience of playing on your terms, when you want to, rather than when the local bingo hall is open.

What’s more, it’s a great value game, especially when you take into account the welcome bonus that you’ll find at sites when you first sign up. At bgo.com/bingo for example, the bonus you get is really significant – deposit £10 and you’ll get an extra £40 to play with. Wherever you sign up to play, bingo’s always great value, as most of the regular scheduled games cost just pennies to play, and there are often free games too.

Even in the winter, playing bingo online can make you feel sunnier. The bright colours and sense of community that you get on any bingo site are a great way to escape the winter blues and lift your spirits, even if you don’t end up with a win every time.

Dining al fresco

It’s so easy to take the pleasure of a simple picnic for granted as we head into mid-summer. The making of lunch and dinner can become a bit of a monotonous routine during the rest of the year, and sometimes takes more effort to prepare than you’re willing to put in. Throwing a few things together for a picnic, on the other hand, couldn’t be simpler, and eating on a picnic rug makes everything taste that much better. A standard ham sandwich becomes much more interesting when you’re eating in a beautiful park in a town, or sitting with a view of the open sea.

Another summer food tradition is firing up the barbecue. It allows even the most alpha male of men get in touch with their culinary skills – barbecues are generally a male-dominated affair. And yes, it is possible to barbecue in the winter with a gas barbecue, but it’s not quite the same standing outside watching the steaks when you’re huddled under an umbrella. For a barbecue to feel right, you need the sun shining down on you.

All good things come to an end

Summer doesn’t stay forever, of course, and while you may still get the odd warm day in September and October, the summer season always has that fleeting quality about it, in northern Europe at any rate. There is no doubt that the winter brings its own plus points – Christmas and New Year not least – but there’s certainly something special about summer. So when the winter comes and you feel in need of a boost, do one of those things that makes you think of summer – it’ll put a smile on your face.

Disclaimer: This post is written by a freelancer.

Photo credit: Bert Kaufmann.

1. CourtneyLynne
    August 17, 2015 / 4:57 am

Ahhhh I remember once upon a time I use to love the whole getting dark later thing… And then I became a mom lol… Funny how it changes… Now I can’t wait for sun to set so it’s sleepy time lol

2. Rosey
    August 16, 2015 / 12:36 pm

I do love the long hours in the summer. It’s a bummer when it gets dark early.

3. August 16, 2015 / 4:54 am

I loved summertime as a kid. We would spend hours outside exploring. We currently live in Las Vegas and summer is no fun here! Can’t wait for it to be over so we can start enjoying outside activities again.
    Kara @ The Joys of Boys recently posted…ABC: Back to School BreakfastMy Profile

4. August 15, 2015 / 2:32 pm

Summer Time and the Livin’ Is Easy–that song always reminds me of summer–that and Hot Town Summer in the City! When I was younger we used to go to Atlantic City for the day–not to the casinos–to the Boardwalk and the beach and the fun! I really do want to go there at least once before the snow starts falling.
    Michele recently posted…The Labor Day Giveaway-6 Winners-US-(asst arv’s)-Ends 9/7 #LDG815 @las930My Profile

5. August 14, 2015 / 11:22 pm

I love the summer weather, but I am starting to miss the cooler evenings of Autumn. Also, kind of missing the snow a little bit at this point – it will be here soon though, so I am sure I will miss the heat then!
    Jaime Nicole recently posted…Sara Lee® Bread Bakes Up Back-To-School LoveMy Profile

• August 15, 2015 / 11:47 am

You’re seriously missing the snow? Wow not sure why but I have never really loved the snow especially if I have a busy day planned. But I do understand I do miss winter sometimes too 🙂 for snuggling
      Miranda recently posted…Things that give life a summer vibeMy Profile

• August 15, 2015 / 11:50 am

I guess then you understand the british weather even more so 🙁 I love summer it’s a shame UK doesn’t offer much of it but atleast there games we can play all year round.
      Miranda recently posted…Things that give life a summer vibeMy Profile

6. August 14, 2015 / 9:09 pm

It seems like this summer came and went, especially considering the fact that my son started school earlier this week! It was a wonderful summer, though.
    HilLesha recently posted…Why I Choose Best Buy for Gift GivingMy Profile

• August 15, 2015 / 11:52 am

I can not believe it is ending already or has ended already in some countries. It’s crazy how fast it flew by
      Miranda recently posted…Things that give life a summer vibeMy Profile

7. August 14, 2015 / 6:27 pm

San Diego definitely makes you feel like summer last all year long. It makes me miss the seasons – the seasons help me keep track of the year 🙂
    Jacob Fu recently posted…Best Subscription Boxes 2015 (July)My Profile

• August 14, 2015 / 5:31 pm

I agree there certain things like that we are best enjoyed in respective seasons except for me I enjoy ice cream both in summer and winter lol come to think about it I enjoy it yearly
      Miranda recently posted…Things that give life a summer vibeMy Profile

8. August 14, 2015 / 4:54 pm

You are so right — some things you just associate with summer even if they are available all year long. I’m always a little sad to see the long daylight hours come to an end.
    Penny Struebig recently posted…Five on Friday – August 14, 2015My Profile

• August 14, 2015 / 5:25 pm

Same here but saying that I am only appreciating this now that I am not at uni anymore when I was at uni hated long daylight
      Miranda recently posted…Things that give life a summer vibeMy Profile

9. August 14, 2015 / 3:37 pm

Our summer is coming to and end in a week or so, and we’re also not looking forward to winter. Hopefully we created enough memories this year to last us through the cold!
    Scott recently posted…This Dice Game Drove Us NutsMy Profile

10. August 14, 2015 / 2:54 pm

No summer doesn’t stay forever, but I think that’s part of the charm in it. We’d get bored living in one season all the time. Trust me I did living in Phoenix Arizona, its just hot hot, then hotter. And when it rains its like the Angels are singing. Everyone either freaks out and starts stalking up on end of the world supplies or they are in total awe of “weather”. I’m glad summer is just a season, makes me enjoy it more.
    Heather recently posted…Vacumm Cleaner BackPacks – Are They Worth it?My Profile

• August 14, 2015 / 5:29 pm

I couldn’t agree more, I grew up in a country where there was summer than any other season mind you we only had 2 seasons but it does make me appreciate it
      Miranda recently posted…Things that give life a summer vibeMy Profile