Being Insecure

Insecure (Insecurities), defined as being uncertain or anxious about one self or lack of confidence – these words are enough to make some of us go back inside and hide. I used to be one of those carefree on one side and insecure on the other. Most people feel insecure during their teenage years and most grow out of them by the time they reach adulthood, whereas some they seem to manifest into another being all together in adulthood.

being insecure

When I was about 3 months old I was dropped whilst being bathed. I was throw into the air (as you do with a baby to make them laugh) but there was a miscalculation on my caregiver at that time and I managed to slip right through her arms. I landed my small tiny feet on the edge of the tub and broke my tiny leg (thankfully 🙂 instead of cracking my head open). I was able to receive treatment and my leg is now fine.

Though I survived this and I am fine, I grew up with a scar on my knee. As a kid I just thought I was born with it and left it at that, when I went to high school people would ask why I had such an ugly scar on my knee and I couldn’t answer because I didn’t know, I remember crying because I thought everyone thought I was ugly because of my scar. I asked my parents who told me what had happened, comforted me and obviously my parents and I couldn’t do anything about the past because well I was alive and happy that was enough.

From that moment on every time I wore clothes which reached above my knees and people saw (or I think they saw) my scar I would cringe and wanted to hide. For a long time I was obsessed with covering it especially when I was sitting and people could see my knees clearly. My OH always tells me it’s all in my head and no one can actually see it  and if they did it wouldn’t matter but in all honesty even though as I have grown I have learnt to accept this scar as part of me there are times when I feel like just hiding away.

Being insecure is different for everyone, I know some family and friends who are insecure about their scars, acne etc. People in general have their insecurities, it is part of life but it is important not to belittle people in those situations since we are all insecure about something. For some the insecurities can be treated, like face acne these day is not as hard to treat as it used to be back in the day. There are so many ads on TV about creams out there, clinics that treat acne, I recently stumbled across the Cardiff Skn Clinic page on the Internet when browsing for different treatments which obviously for me is quite far but I was intrigued by the number of services they offer so I checked out their website for any clinics near me or my family and friends and I found the nearest to me is Milton Keynes and friends was Northampton which was awesome as I wanted to recommend to family and friends.

Though I myself have not considered any treatment for my knee I think if it would ease the feeling of being insecure or lacking in confidence then I say go for it. For me personally I have days when I feel insecure but then again I love having this scar on my knee, it’s part of me.

signature

*Collaboration post, all opinions are my own*

1. December 12, 2015 / 3:51 pm

It’s interesting to read everyone’s thoughts. I never thought of scars and insecurities. But now that I think about it stretch marks are scars too and I hate my pregnancy stretch marks.

• December 12, 2015 / 5:38 pm

Awww bless, thank you and remember those pregnancy stretch marks brought life so they have a story to tell

2. December 11, 2015 / 6:53 am

I’ve always thought scars were pretty neat. I love looking at peoples scars and hearing the story behind them. I have a few scars, but nothing major, vast majority are stretchmarks.

• December 11, 2015 / 7:10 am

I think scars are unique to each person and all tell a story 😊

3. December 5, 2015 / 6:14 pm

We all have insecurities.
    I have a scare on my knee, arm but I just prod along as they aren’t that big but I can see why people would feel a certain way especially if the scares are big & modern society (you have to be perfect) of course.
    Great post
    Charlotte

4. December 5, 2015 / 4:30 pm

I have a huge problem with anxiety at the moment. It’s mainly because of having 2 kids. I feel overwhelmed with it but it’s mainly in the evening time but I’m going to deal with it in the new year.

5. December 4, 2015 / 4:35 pm

It’s funny I have a scar at the bottom of my knee. I got it at about 8. I was running down a hill to go help my sister in a fight. I fell and got a huge cut on my knee. At the time I was so focused on helping my sister I didn’t even notice the cut till after. Thanks for sharing your scar story with us.

• December 5, 2015 / 8:11 am

oh bless you, that’s sisterly love right there. Thanks for sharing too

6. December 4, 2015 / 1:05 pm

Thanks for sharing your story. Both of our kids had accidents and we needed to use a cream to help the scare heal. We used a burn cream and it seemed to work but good to know something like this is out there if they ever need to have them fixed when they’re older.

Brooke

• December 5, 2015 / 8:12 am

I am sorry to hear that but I hope they are ok now, better to have a warrior scar than not to be around.

7. December 4, 2015 / 6:40 am

LOVE the quote! This is a fantastic post to really put things in perspective. Everyone has something they feel self-conscious or insecure about, but that doesn’t mean it is all bad. Sometimes you find the most wonderful things hiding beyond the hurt.

~Lorelai
    Life With Lorelai

8. December 4, 2015 / 6:15 am

Glad you are ok. I grew up hating my lips because when I was little kids would make fun of me about them being big. Now big lips is a “thing” go figure.

9. December 4, 2015 / 4:31 am

That quote is how I try to live my life everyday. You have to be thankful for all things because you never know where they will take you.

10. December 4, 2015 / 2:21 am

I love this quote and have always said this (of course not so eloquently!).

11. December 4, 2015 / 2:18 am

Everyone has those small insecurities but what I love is when people find ways to think positively about them. That scar is a beautiful part of you! Own it and work it girl <3

12. December 3, 2015 / 10:01 pm

I think everyone is a little bit insecure no matter how much confidence they project. I have a huge birthmark on my left upper arm that some mean little kids told me was cancer when I was in elementary school. I didn’t wear sleeveless shirt again until I was in college. I’m still insecure about my arm but I don’t let it stop me from wearing what I want now.

13. December 3, 2015 / 3:33 pm

Oh bless you, it is easy for things to make us feel insecure. I have a few scars on my body, but like you say at the end … they have just become a part of me and i don’t even notice they are there. x

14. December 3, 2015 / 1:17 pm

I think everyone is insecure about something. My brother got a very bad cut on his chest from a screw on the ladder in our swimming pool. It’s several inches long. It looks like he’s had open heart surgery. Because of this, he absolutely refuses to ever be seen without a shirt on. I feel bad for him that it has made him so self conscious.

15. December 3, 2015 / 8:03 am

Goodness me waat a trauma. My daughter has had seven lots of hip surgery (she is six) we talk about her scars and caall them badges of bravery. I hope because hers are higher up that they wouldnt ever cause her any anxieties.

16. December 3, 2015 / 7:41 am

The bad things happen to prepare us and allow us to be more appreciative when good times happen. I think it’s also important to be comfortable with oneself and accept our flaws and insecurities.

17. December 3, 2015 / 4:26 am

We all have things that we don’t like about ourselves. I’m sorry that your scar made you feel ugly.

• December 3, 2015 / 6:38 am

Thank you, I agree we all have things about ourselves we do not like and wish we didnt have.

18. December 3, 2015 / 3:32 am

I needed to hear this tonight. This is such a great reminder that there is something better around the corner.

• December 3, 2015 / 6:39 am

Thanks Shell, glad it arrived at the right time

19. December 3, 2015 / 1:47 am

I recently got a scar on my forehead and I was very upset about it. It started to fade a bit, but every scar tells a story. The one on my nose is one and the my fore head is another. I have a story for every mark on my body.

• December 3, 2015 / 7:06 am

Absolutely, every scar tells a story. Maybe it’s one we would rather not remember or one which teaches us a lesson

20. December 2, 2015 / 11:49 pm

I am the same way. I have a scar that runs the length of my back and a deformity in my shoulder, only when I reached my 30s did realize most people are worried about the way they look and don’t see the way you look, with everyone worrying about themselves I soon realized I had little to worry about from judgment from others and if anyone dared to pass me a second glass due to it, I realized they weren’t worth much of my time anyway. I can’t tell you I am totally comfortable with my body, I still hate wearing swimsuits pregnancy has given me stretchmarks and the scars and deformity still exist. Those that choose to stare, I stare right back. They always look away…but I have people in my life that love me and I could care less about what the rest of the world thinks.

• December 3, 2015 / 7:08 am

Having people that love you and accept you as you are is the best feeling in the world, we may doubt ourselves now and again but that’s human. Accept oneself.

21. December 2, 2015 / 11:37 pm

I think most people have some kind of insecurity, and it’s usually about something which only they notice but think everyone notices! I was a very insecure teenager, although I put on a bit of a front! I still have insecurities but I think as I get older they do lessen. Thanks for sharing

• December 3, 2015 / 7:09 am

I agree, at least for me it was the case but again it stemmed from someone noticing it once and that got stuck in my mind thinking everyone can see it.

22. December 2, 2015 / 9:58 pm

Thank you for sharing your story. Being insecure is such a strange feeling. I can relate in some way to your story. I had a heart operation when I was 9 that left me with a scar across my chest. I am so self conscious of it, and growing up felt like people were staring at me and making a snap judgement. Now I am nearly 30 I have accepted that the scar is a part of who I am, it’s the lasting mark of still being alive.

• December 3, 2015 / 7:35 am

You are a survivor, thanks for sharing as well.

23. December 2, 2015 / 8:31 pm

I’m not sure I’ve ever felt insecure. Scared, nervous, hate my weight etc, but not insecure about it. Maybe it’s just another way of referring to it. I do think if you’re worried about something, then why not do something about it.

• December 2, 2015 / 9:17 pm

I agree if you’re worried about something then do something about it.

24. December 2, 2015 / 6:19 pm

I have scars which I really hate, one on my foot which I am trying to just accept, hard though it is x

• December 2, 2015 / 9:20 pm

It can be hard to accept some scars but some are easier than others.

25. December 2, 2015 / 4:43 pm

Thanks for sharing your story! A lot of us have similar feelings and it’s hard to reveal them, so good on you!

• December 2, 2015 / 9:21 pm

Thank you Samantha, I appreciate that

26. December 2, 2015 / 3:51 pm

I have a terrible scar that I always think about having treated to soften it, but I do find myself feeling as if it is a part of me and my history. Thanks for sharing 🙂

• December 2, 2015 / 9:22 pm

I used to be like that too but now I am just accepting it as part of me and embracing it

27. December 2, 2015 / 2:03 pm

Everyone has its own insecurities, some may find it difficult to tolerate. I choose to accept what I have, but it took some time. Having these scars is like a tattoo. It means something to you and people can’t accept that why should we accept them?

• December 2, 2015 / 9:28 pm

I believe it is best to come to terms with it within before we can look what outside if thinking etc. It can be hard but its best to work on it for yourself first

28. December 2, 2015 / 11:57 am

I have a scar on the side of my upper leg (36 stitches) where I fell off of a barbed wire fence when I was 5 and a barb got me. My mom had told me to stay off that fence, but I didn’t listen and I have the scar to prove it. It’s never bothered me at all and it’s faded over the years. It’s only noticeable when I wear shorts or a swimsuit. I call it my disobedient scar. 🙂

• December 2, 2015 / 9:29 pm

Haha I like that disobedient scar, thanks for sharing your scar Alli