{Travel} Weekend Getaway to Bratislava

Sat in my hotel in Brno contemplating what to do with myself on Sunday and saw a native Slovakian sharing a post about Bratislava, a quick Google search and I knew I was not too far so made the decision to add Bratislava to my itinerary.

Original plan for Brno, Czech Republic was to visit Brno and if possible grab a bus to Praha (Prague) but before I even embarked on my trip I booked a return ticket to Vienna for the day after I arrive(d) in Brno and upon return from Vienna booked a return train ticket to Bratislava. I am a spontaneous person and I usually go with the wind especially where travelling is concerned. I can change my mind fast than anything and can decide on something even faster.

Getaway to Bratislava

Bratislava Castle

Bratislava Castle

Bratislava Castle

Bratislava Castle

Bratislava Castle

Bratislava Castle

The train from Brno to Bratislava took less about 1.45hrs, I arrived to be greeted with the above sign “welcome to Slovakia” a quick Google search about how to get to the places I wanted to visit and I couldn’t find proper instructions so I decided to walk (big mistake! Huge, advice to the Slovakia novice never walk to get to Bratislava castle instead take bus 203/207 and then you can walk down after touring).

Bratislava Castle

Bratislava Castle facing the Danube River

Bratislava Castle

Bratislava Castle facing the old town

Bratislava Castle

Bratislava Castle facing both the Danube River and the old town

I had made a decision to walk everywhere instead of actually taking bus or tram. It was a decision I would later regret and a week on still paying for. I shared “Top five (5) must see places in Bratislava last week on the blog. I mentioned that I walked everywhere. Using google maps (which I think should start adding in hints of whether your walk is up hill or down so we can make informed decisions) I plugged in Bratislava castle and it showed me the route stating it only takes 25 minutes to walk. It was a beautiful sunny but bit cold day so I decided to walk. When you start off it is simple enough until google neglects to tell you that you have to take 150+ steps before you make a turn to the left then walk 5 minutes before having to climb up again to reach the castle which nests beautifully on the hill giving you speculate views of the Danube river which Bratislava shares with Vienna (Austria) also gives you an awesome view of the city.

The Primatial Palace

The Primatial Palace

Bratislava

Town Hall square

After checking out the castle I then plugged in my next destination the old town hall lucky it was a 10-15 minute walk down hill. I managed to see a lot of places whilst there, the old town hall, the Palace, st martins ‘s cathedral and the blue church (only a glimpse). There are so many beautiful alley ways to walk in around the old town and you could never tire I know I didn’t.

An hour later I left the old town for Slavin, again I had chosen to walk what a mistake on my part on a shame Google neglected to share that this was up hill and probably much worse than going up to Bratislava castle. I wondered why the entire time I was walking up only taxis and cars were going up and no one walking up except me. It was a hike I didn’t plan for and had to have several stops before I finally made it to the top and collapsed to the ground for 15 minutes before I continued to explore and appreciate the Slavin war memorial. The view from the Slavin is breathtaking and absolutely magnificent. The Slavin war memorial itself humbles you with its dedications and architecture.

Slavin

The Slavin

Slavin

The Slavin Grounds

Slavin

The Slavin

Overall, I had an amazing time getaway to Bratislava and just for 6 hours I saw so much and did so much.

If you ever get a chance, check out my must see places post and have yourself an awesome time.

1. February 17, 2016 / 11:01 am

Another amazing getaway! That was quite a walk but worth it by the looks of it!

• February 17, 2016 / 11:14 am

It was worth it indeed but won’t be doing it any time soon

• February 17, 2016 / 11:42 am

I totally agree with Dainty,
      I am sat here laughing my head off about what Google should also be telling you too funny Miranda. Honestly I am yet to find a SatNav that tells you such stuff. We are the digitalnomads and we totaly forget that people used to travel with just a vague map or worse still depend on asking locals or passersby where to head to! I love this era of gadgets for sure.

Your weekend getaway to Bratislava sounds like a wonderful thing to do without the walking 🙂 Thanks for sharing and for the laughter 🙂

2. February 16, 2016 / 11:57 pm

I visit nearly 5 years ago and loved every minute but certainly didn’t get as much in as you did!

• February 17, 2016 / 7:16 am

Oh wow that’s awesome you’re the first person to say they have visited it most don’t even know where it is.

3. February 16, 2016 / 11:08 pm

I can not believe how much you crammed into your trip!! I am super impressed we went to the New Forest for two nights and managed a spot of window shopping, 2 meals and 2 trips to different beaches so I could practice some photography… oh and watching the rugby of course. You put us to shame!! x

• February 17, 2016 / 7:15 am

Awwww you did wonderfully too, I am yet to visit the beach this year

4. February 16, 2016 / 10:39 pm

Wow – you crammed a lot into a few hours! It looks such a beautiful place, gorgeous photos! Kaz x

• February 17, 2016 / 7:14 am

I did and thanks so much

5. February 16, 2016 / 8:31 pm

Did you visit around the same time as Vienna? Your posts always give me a serious case of wanderlust you need to stop doing that to me haha!

• February 16, 2016 / 9:14 pm

Hahahaha sorry and yes I visited right after Vienna. I did 3 countries in 3 days

6. February 16, 2016 / 7:38 pm

What gorgeous photos. I think the walk was worthwhile to see the sights and the views, although I can imagine your feet were a bit unimpressed the next day! Lovely introduction to Bratislava.

• February 16, 2016 / 9:11 pm

Thanks so much my legs didn’t like it at all

7. February 16, 2016 / 7:07 pm

some beautiful photo’s ! I have never been to slovakia! it looks like a great place to visit! I love sneaky getaway weekends!

• February 16, 2016 / 7:31 pm

Thanks Charlotte, Slovakia is a beautiful country

8. February 16, 2016 / 5:04 pm

The castle, the entire town looks out of a story book. A successful spontaneous trip! Seems like you got quite the workout too.

• February 16, 2016 / 5:07 pm

I really got the workout indeed

9. February 16, 2016 / 10:20 am

Wow! Not a place I’d ever have thought of visiting but what a mistake to make. It does look lovely and the architecture you’ve shown is very impressive.
    What a joy it must be to be able to travel. Having 3 children we are very much ‘staycationers’ which suits us at the moment but I’ll be reading with interest to see where your travels take you next!

• February 16, 2016 / 10:54 am

Thanks Gemma, I need to do some staycations too some time

10. February 16, 2016 / 8:54 am

That sounds like a lot of walking! I wish I could be more spontaneous when it comes to travel, but I always like to have a plan. Even more so since having my two girls. Looks lovely and sounds like a worthwhile trip 🙂

• February 16, 2016 / 10:50 am

Thanks Laura I think right now being spontaneous it’s taking me places but I do like to plan as well