Home and Business Security

business security

{Office} Business Security

Home safety and security has been a big feature on this blog over the last few months. Over Christmas I reminded us all about Safety over the Christimas period like switching your lights when you leave home. In September I shared how Home Safety and Security was at a fore front of my mind even when I am away. Life is like that sometimes where all we can think about is the security of our homes. What about Business Security? Not all of us have to worry about Business Security because our employers do that. Or because some of us work from home so Business Security is same as Home Safety and Security. But what if you’re the employer or are designated safety person for your work or office?

When I started with the current company, I found myself the appointed Safety person. I work in Safety for pharmaceutical but honestly was clueless about office safety. I hadn’t done health and safety before and only ever worked for a big pharma who had a dedicated safety team. Moving to a smaller pharmaceutical company and having to do it myself along side my main job was a real opener. But I do remember one of the main things I did was get replacement keys for the office. We’ve had employees come and go with some forgetting to return the keys 🔑. It meant we needed to get replacement keys for Business Security since we hold sensitive documents.

There were many other items that I needed to consider for the security of the office. These included:

• Ensuring the security lights were up to standard
  • Having H&S was conducted and people were trained
  • Having an emergency contact person who loved local
  • Ensuring the Business Park Security team had a spare key for our building

Working in an office has many perks but not always if you’re in charge of Health and Safety. It takes a lot to think about not only your safety but that of others too.

Have you ever been in charge of office or business security at your work?

*Collaborative*

1. January 12, 2017 / 11:13 pm

I work from home now so don’t have to think about this anymore. But I used to run a shop and had to be in charge of all of the security. It’s such a big responsibility. x

• January 14, 2017 / 9:31 pm

It sure it, at home we only have to concern ourselves with the security of our own homes

2. fashion-mommy
    January 10, 2017 / 12:05 am

Yes, I was the head of a school and security of school and site was a major issue (and headache), it is something you can never, ever ignore or leave to chance.

• January 14, 2017 / 9:31 pm

Oh absolutely, being head of the school I am sure had its own challenges without adding on security of everyone else

3. Jamela M.
    January 8, 2017 / 8:59 pm

It’s a big responsibility to be in charged of the safety of others. Because there are many factors affecting it for instance the way people act. But you can put on systems/ tools/ warning signs such that they will have safety environment . Good luck on your job.

• January 14, 2017 / 9:30 pm

Thank you Jamela and yes its a huge responsibility

4. Kara
    January 8, 2017 / 10:34 am

I looked after security in both my last employment roles and really enjoyed it. I was lucky that we had security guards too as both businesses were high risk

• January 14, 2017 / 9:29 pm

I cant even imagine doing all the security for my company as its crazy but someone trained has to do it

5. January 7, 2017 / 10:50 pm

Feeling unsafe at work is horrible. I used to work in a shop and had to lock up by myself at night. I hated doing it!

• January 8, 2017 / 6:48 am

I can only imagine, at night I am scared of my own shadow when passing street lights lol

6. January 7, 2017 / 7:32 pm

There’s nothing worse than feeling unsafe at work! I used to work in a shop which although they have CCTV it wasn’t the clearest. xo

• January 8, 2017 / 6:47 am

Tell me about it, especially in winter months when it’s much darker that CCTV wouldn’t have been much help

7. Laura
    January 7, 2017 / 7:35 am

Really important. I work for a large firm now with fantastic security but I used to work at a tiny office and sometimes felt vulnerable x

• January 7, 2017 / 9:13 am

I know the feeling, during winter it’s the worst because it gets dark pretty quickly

8. Jazmin Williams
    January 7, 2017 / 3:58 am

CCTV & Security lights are definitely important! I remember my dad’s old landlord put a security camera in the back garden (as his flat was latched onto the tattoo parlour his landlord owned) and you could see it on your phone. My friends and I saw it as a novelty because you could also take screen grabs, so we took some photos being the silly teenagers we were!

• January 7, 2017 / 9:12 am

Oh! Hahahaha lol but what a lovely idea your dad’s landlord had.

9. Ickle Pickle
    January 6, 2017 / 9:43 pm

I used to run a security company with my ex husband – installing CCTV. That was an age ago now! Kaz x

• January 7, 2017 / 9:11 am

Oh how cool so you would be al clued up on safety and security of any place

10. Beautyqueenuk
    January 6, 2017 / 7:58 pm

Security lights are so important and when you have CCTV they can be vital x

• January 7, 2017 / 9:10 am

Oh so true, we lucky that is handled by the business park security

11. Hannah Latoya Bond
    January 6, 2017 / 3:54 pm

I think it’s defoiately important to think about security especially in the workplace

• January 7, 2017 / 9:10 am

Exactly, thanks for stopping by Hannah

12. sarah Lea
    January 6, 2017 / 10:24 am

I’d be clueless about office safety too but I’ve a bit more of an idea after reading this post! Having replacement keys is an important one!! Fab post 🙂

• January 7, 2017 / 9:10 am

Thanks Sarah, it was important for me to ensure we have replacement keys and everyone had a copy

13. Lauren Porter
    January 5, 2017 / 7:11 pm

working in a school I didn’t have to take charge of security, but of course it is always at the forefront of your mind when being responsible for hundreds of children!

• January 7, 2017 / 9:09 am

Oh I can only imagine having to be responsible for so many young lives

14. Lisa Graham
    January 5, 2017 / 2:24 pm

I work for a big organisation and we have designated safety reps. We also have to have safe words so if we are out of the office and in danger we can give it to a colleague if they call. This was they can raise the alarm. It doesn’t really apply too much to me but it is useful if I have to travel anywhere for work.

• January 7, 2017 / 9:08 am

I love that, having a safe word so the company knows something is wrong

15. Deborah Nicholas
    January 5, 2017 / 1:51 pm

I dont think i would like the responisibility of making sure everyone else was safe and secure too – i have enough looking after the kids! lol

• January 7, 2017 / 9:08 am

Hahahaha honestly I didn’t like that idea too but someone had to do it