Home Improvements: Different Types of Flooring

Renting has always been a restrictive option when it comes to home improvements. As a tenant, I am limited to what I can change in my apartment but with an agreeable landlord home improvements are possible. Obviously for me this is not {yet} an option because I am saving up for my own place. When people start considering home remodelling flooring is normally at the bottom of the list. If you’re anything like me and my mother you are probably tired of seeing same old run down carpet in your hallway or seating area. If you’re then it’s time to consider different types of flooring available, from tiles to bamboo flooring.

Different Types of Flooring

With the assumption that you’ve decided to change the flooring in your home, here are some different types to consider. Some of these different types of flooring you’ve seen and heard of and other’s might be new.

Tiles Porcelain or Ceramic Flooring

Tile flooring is mostly preferred for the kitchen and/or bathroom because it’s hard, durable, water-resistant and shrugs off stains. There are many tile flooring options but most common are Porcelain, ceramic and stone. Porcelain floor tile is harder, denser and less porous but can be difficult to install. It’s a good choice for high-traffic areas, kitchens and bathrooms. Ceramic floor tile is softer and glazed to create a hard wear surface in virtually any color. It’s porous, softer, easier to cut and install.

Vinyl Flooring

Vinyl Flooring is a cost-effective alternative to hardwood flooring, it is easy to install and is warmer underfoot. It is water-resistant and suitable throughout the home and comes in many designs. Karndean flooring offers a wide range of vinyl flooring which are stylish and beautiful to look at. The finishes, tones and textures that give your floor the appearance of a real wood or stone floor.

types of flooring

Carpets

Normally first choice for bedrooms and livingroom areas because of their ability to retain warm air in colder months. Can be expensive but are comfortable and can last long though in high traffic areas they might not.

Hardwood Flooring

The beauty about hardwood flooring is its durability, wear resistance surface types that is easily refinished and many available options. Though it can appear finished after years of shrinking and expanding it is a long-lasting product.

Laminate Flooring

Cheapest kind of flooring, easy to maintain and excellent solution for busy areas like the hallway and kitchen. It’s provides a durable surface, resistant to chipping and is strong. Many choose it because there are many options, resembles natural materials and is easy to install. Down side is it can easily get scratched and can not be re-finished.

Bamboo Flooring

For my green conscious friends this is the type of flooring for you. Though it is one of for the kitchen or bathroom {shouldn’t be left wet} it’s great for everywhere else. The durability is second to none though does fade over time and like hardwood flooring is easy to maintain.

*Collaborative

1. February 19, 2017 / 4:29 pm

Sounds super fun, personally I love moving lol.. I get to redesign and redecorate and I dont do it often enough 🙂

2. February 18, 2017 / 3:37 pm

I like having hardwood floor in the living room. I am looking forward to getting our hardwood floor installed.

3. AJMoneyMatters
    February 17, 2017 / 12:28 am

We just had our floors done in a light vinyl wood look and it has seriously opened the place up completely. Also very cost effective as well!

4. February 16, 2017 / 11:49 pm

I really like the look of ceramic flooring and tiles in the bathroom and the kitchen. For the rest of rooms I like carpet because it is comfortable and reduces noise. Hardwood floor does look great but the noise is not that good and it can be cold too.

5. February 15, 2017 / 4:46 pm

I love hardwood flooring. My favorite feature in my home is the hardwood hickory installed in our downstairs. Totally love it!

6. February 15, 2017 / 3:08 pm

Thanks for sharing so many different types of flooring. My house is of hardwood flooring and it’s the best. Love how it looks and it feels so homely.

7. February 15, 2017 / 12:03 am

I have hardwood in my home and I love it, though it does seem to get dirty faster than other flooring. I’m curious about trying bamboo. I like it’s durability and that it is more eco-friendly.

8. Brandi Kennedy
    February 14, 2017 / 10:01 pm

We have hardwood at our house, just put in a few months ago (to replace laminate) and it is absolutely beautiful. I’d like to see ceramic tiles in the bathrooms too, but right now it’s just linoleum.

9. Our Family World
    February 14, 2017 / 9:48 pm

Hardwood flooring works for me. I think that is better than any. Thanks for sharing this

10. TheNewClassy
    February 14, 2017 / 7:24 pm

Carpet is my worst enemy. We had carpet in our house when I moved in and it bothered my asthma and allergies. I would much rather have hardwood floors or vinyl, which is what we have now.

11. Aish Padihari
    February 14, 2017 / 5:10 pm

Love bamboo flooring. One of our rooms has bamboo flooring and I love how it feels when you walk on it bare feet and it keeps the summer heat at bay.

12. February 14, 2017 / 3:13 pm

I don’t think I’ve ever seen bamboo flooring. I would love to see how it would look in my home.

13. Ana John
    February 14, 2017 / 7:36 am

Although, I have always admired the Laminate flooring, yet all the types you mentioned above seem great! I might wanna consider Bamboo flooring for the next time!

14. Annemarie LeBlanc
    February 14, 2017 / 6:59 am

I have always loved hardwood floors! There is so much beauty in it if it is kept well polished and maintained. I agree with Laminate floors for the kitchen.

15. Travel Blogger
    February 14, 2017 / 5:38 am

Great overview! A new floor can really update a room, and with so many options, it is really affordable.

16. Mira Pstr
    February 14, 2017 / 1:57 am

all my new house is made with bamboo, i don’t know if it is a great one but it looks beautiful and It really easy to maintain 🙂

17. February 14, 2017 / 1:49 am

I really love hardwood floors, they last for year and are very easy to maintain! For me, it’s the best option. I prefer tiles or marble when it comes to the kitchen though, it’s definitely easier to clean.

18. Faith Elijahleen Stephenson
    February 14, 2017 / 1:12 am

we have the hardwood flooring at home, been interested to bamboo flooring too. I think it will be great to my powder room 🙂

19. February 13, 2017 / 8:32 pm

We’ll probably eventually get laminate flooring. Right now we mostly have carpet but with kids and pets, that’ll have to go soon.