Summer in the Alps with a Toddler: Chalet or Hotel?

chalet or hotel

Summer in the Alps with a Toddler: Chalet or Hotel?

If you’ve always loved traveling, then you’re probably pretty excited to be able to share this type of experience with your child. However, you should do a bit of research before you choose your accommodation, especially when you are traveling with a toddler. Not all family destinations are created equal, so you need to make sure that whatever you choose suits you and your family’s particular needs.

If you don’t know where to spend your summer holiday, here you can find an amazing list of options that are sure to please even the pickiest traveler. If your mind is already made and you know you want to spend the summer in the Alps with your family, then you need to know that the most common accommodation options are hotels and chalet.

In this article, we’ll take a look at the advantages and disadvantages each option has to offer.

Let’s jump right into it!

Chalets

Many people prefer to book chalets when spending their holidays in the mountains. Not only that they’re more affordable than a hotel, but they also provide a truly authentic alpine feel.

Don’t let the traditional aesthetics fool you. Chalets can be just as modern as hotels. Moreover, they offer advantages most hotels can’t even dream to provide their guests, such as gardens where children can play or comfy lounges where the whole family can gather and spend time together.

Chalets have a few disadvantages, as well. When staying at a chalet, you will have to take care of numerous aspects than you would if you stayed at a hotel. Chalets usually do not have cleaning services included, which will leave you in charge of changing your towels or bed linens.

Moreover, since chalets do not have a concierge, you will need to do your research regarding attractions or activities you want to partake in. You will also need to look for means of transportation on your own.

In most cases, however, you have the possibility of paying additional fees to cover these inconveniences or look for chalets that already offer these services.

Hotels

One of the main benefits hotels have to offer is that everything will already be taken care of for you. You won’t have to worry about tasks that you worry about at home, too. No refilling the fridge, cleaning up after yourselves or other daily chores. All you’ll need to do is have a great time, relax and forget about whatever was stressing you out at home. No need to spend time in the kitchen, either, as the hotel’s restaurant awaits you downstairs.

However, there are a few disadvantages you need to keep in mind if you are traveling with a toddler.

Costs are the number one drawback of hotels. A stay at a hotel can get pricey, especially if you’re traveling in a big group. Unlike a chalet, you’ll have to share the amenities, such as the tool or playground area with other hotel guests.

Traveling with toddlers means you’ll have to be careful when selecting the accommodation, as it can end up making or breaking your vacation. But, whether you choose a chalet or a hotel for your summer vacation, it’s important to determine your family’s needs, your expectations and of course, your budget.

Take them all into account before deciding on either one of these options and choose what you think would be the best for your family. Hotels might be better if you’re on a shorter vacation, while chalets could be the best choice if you like having a more hands on experience.

Photo: pexels.com

*Collaborative

1. April 2, 2017 / 5:52 pm

I’d definitely prefer to stay in a chalet! I’d prefer to have a private space for me and my family 🙂 Great comparison though!

2. Always Carry On.
    April 2, 2017 / 1:52 pm

I’d much prefer a chalet, but then I wouldn’t be travelling with children… I can understand why a hotel might be easier if you’ve got kids! x

3. Melanie Edjourian
    April 1, 2017 / 5:59 pm

Wow that picture brought back a few memories of holidaying in Switzerland when i was a child. I agree hotels are better but chalets are also quite nice too.

4. April 1, 2017 / 11:16 am

I prefer hotels when I am on holiday. I like to relax and let things be done for me.

5. April 1, 2017 / 9:40 am

I would choose Chalet – just cause it look (and sound) so romantic. I’ve been to the swiss Alps in the summer and it was amazing!

6. March 31, 2017 / 6:56 pm

Both sound like they are good but chalet would suit us more i think since it has more flexibility.

7. March 31, 2017 / 2:50 pm

I think I would go for a chalet because of the flexibility it gives you. Also, I wouldn’t imagine staying in a hotel if I visit the Alps, and everywhere is covered with snow. The classic feel of a chalet makes you feel the winter spirit better.

8. Jenna E Morley
    March 31, 2017 / 10:02 am

We have stayed in a catered chalet with our little one before, it was a great experience and also meant I could put him to bed undisturbed just like at home. The alps are great for exploring summer or winter 🙂

9. shoshana sue
    March 31, 2017 / 8:48 am

I have stayed in a chalet with my kids before. The experience was awful. It was so dusty and sent my allergies sky high. I would rather stay in a hotel after that experience. But then again not all chalets are the same. If I ever stay in one again it has to be 5 star haha

10. March 31, 2017 / 5:55 am

I think a chalet is a really good option because it always more flexibility than a hotel, especially as you can usually cook for yourselves x

11. FussFreeJen
    March 30, 2017 / 6:27 pm

I’d have considered a chalet for staying with my little one, but weighing it up, the benefits of the hotel almost swing me to think hotel is the way to go. When on holiday, I like to do as little as home life as I can. A good comparison read.

12. March 30, 2017 / 5:58 pm

This is a good comparison of the pros and cons of each accommodation when traveling with a toddler. I think i would probably choose the chalet myself but then again I don’t have a toddler so I may be way off base x

13. March 30, 2017 / 3:16 pm

I know my sister in law prefers to stay in a chalet when she takes her kids skiing, think I would prefer a chalet as well x

14. Hayley
    March 30, 2017 / 1:58 pm

I would love to stay in a chalet in the alps! It would be a wonderful holiday.

15. Charlotte
    March 30, 2017 / 10:22 am

I would love to visit the Alps one day. I think I would chose a Chalet. Self catering seems more convenient with children.