{Fashion Monday} Styling a frill trim long sleeved shirt

long sleeve shirt

Last week whilst I was enjoying some retail therapy when I stumbled upon a lovely long sleeved frill trim shirt in yellow. Not sure why but somehow I fell in love with the shirt and thought it would be perfect for work. I have preached many times about how I am loving adding colour to my wardrobe. This yellow grill trim shirt is the second shirt in its colour on my wardrobe (the third is being donated). And whilst I had no clue how I was gonna style the shirt I knew I would love it either way.

Spring has sprung but there are days when it feels like winter is still lurking but it’s to be expected with British weather. So I figured wearing long sleeved shirts is still in fashion and one can do damage with them. The menopausal British weather is one to watch with a pinch of salt regardless of what the Met office says. One minute you could be enjoying the sunshine and next you’re running for cover or even need to cover up. Hence why this yellow frill trim long sleeved shirt from New Look is exactly what is required.

What I love about the shirt is it’s light in texture and very fitting depending on your size. I choose 14 due to my bust area and love how it doesn’t tug in my armpits nor crease on the front. The product description from New look is;

• Rounded neckline
  • Frill trim
  • Simple long sleeves
  • Button back fastening
  • Crepe texture
  • Casual fit that is true to size

Styling a yellow frill trim long sleeved shirt

For me styling this shirt was a no brainer and decided it would look real good on something black. When most of us dare to try colours, we don’t go all out instead we calm it down and black does that. Yes this shirt pops on its own but the black helps it to be more digestible for many to dare. I thought of two outfits I could try with this top and already tested one out. And that is pairing with a skirt for a date or pairing with black denim for work or running errands. However you choose to style this frill trimmed shirt, remember that your entire outfits focal point is the shirt itself. Not wanting to take too much attention away from the shirt, with the skirt I paired with half boots. And for the denim jeans I paired with ankle boots because it’s spring with a chance of rain in my neck of the woods.

How would you style a yellow frill trim long sleeved shirt? Is yellow a staple in your closet?

1. Gábor Van Tolna
    April 25, 2017 / 3:21 am

It looks like a very cool outfit/style for spring. I will suggest it to my girlfriend…

2. Aareeba Mohammed
    April 22, 2017 / 9:17 pm

loved all your picks, this would definitely make a perfect out fit

3. Nichole Freeman
    April 22, 2017 / 11:05 am

I love the yellow and black. It makes a great look with the different pieces displayed

4. lexhan
    April 22, 2017 / 12:32 am

good picks and concept, always good to try new things and style up your way.

5. April 21, 2017 / 11:11 am

Lovely combination with just a dash of colour and easy to wear in multiple ways basics.

6. Frosted Events
    April 20, 2017 / 9:17 pm

Such a good tips and ideas these are all looks great and a perfect outfit!

7. April 20, 2017 / 8:52 pm

Love the colour of the blouse – adds a bit of colour to the day!

8. April 20, 2017 / 6:51 am

Great ideas dear! I love where the mules with the entire look – so so cute!

9. Angela Milnes
    April 20, 2017 / 3:48 am

What a good tips and such a great selection of outfits and perfect for this season, Glad you share this

10. April 20, 2017 / 3:13 am

The black boot is right up my alley in the style department. And, I like that it has a bit of a heel. I used to have a yellow shirt a long time ago that I really liked. But now that I think of it, I don’t think yellow is really in my closet much.

11. April 19, 2017 / 11:18 pm

Ahhh retail therapy. The term my wife uses about once a week when she comes home with a crapload of bags in her hands.. lol

12. April 19, 2017 / 9:44 pm

Such a lovely outfit you’ve got here. I always have a hard time putting together ruffles and other pieces from my closet.

13. Kelly Hutchinson
    April 19, 2017 / 9:10 pm

Yellow is such a hard color to pull together in an outfit. You did it beautifully!

14. Wendy Lee
    April 19, 2017 / 6:45 pm

What a great outfit! Having that dash of yellow to offset, perfect! Great for anywhere you want!

15. April 19, 2017 / 6:23 pm

I’ve always love a little pop of color. Perfect for the season!

16. Leigh Anne Borders
    April 19, 2017 / 6:14 pm

Love the color of yellow. It adds such a fun pop of color and is so spring summer. Love the idea of the ruffles too.

17. Manouk van Zwam
    April 19, 2017 / 4:53 pm

Yellow is such a nice color! It certainly gives a spring/summer feeling although it might not always feel that way!

18. FussFreeJen
    April 19, 2017 / 7:59 am

I am liking the frills of ruffles of the season very much. That said, some are a little much, and not too flattering. But this one is fab, casual enough for everyday wear. Great outfit.

19. Homemade for Elle
    April 19, 2017 / 4:12 am

Thanks for the tips! The whole outfit put together is perfect!

20. Lorraine
    April 19, 2017 / 4:07 am

Cute shirt! It’s definitely spring and we are all bringing out very bright and vibrant colors. As the temperature increases our clothes will become even bolder and brighter.

21. April 19, 2017 / 2:49 am

I’m so bad about adding color to my wardrobe! I love the yellow top though and would love to try to add that color to my wardrobe.

22. WEMAKE7
    April 19, 2017 / 2:25 am

These are all great picks. I really love the looks of the black skirt.

23. April 19, 2017 / 1:40 am

I don’t usually wear yellow but I can imagine how it’s going to look with a black skort or black pants. It’s a stand out! I love the shoes that you picked as well.

24. Krystel Seijo
    April 18, 2017 / 10:53 pm

Loving the style of that skirt. I stick to neutral colors a lot with a mix of dark blue in.

25. rika agustini
    April 18, 2017 / 9:18 pm

Great picks! I love spring colors, bright colors! The leather jacket looks fab!

26. Amy @ Marvelous Mommy
    April 18, 2017 / 8:55 pm

I love the yellow tones for spring! I really like the accessories and shoes too!

27. Stephanie
    April 18, 2017 / 8:51 pm

I love the colours together, yellow is a great colour to wear, so bright and colourful

28. Shannon Graham
    April 18, 2017 / 7:40 pm

I just can’t bring myself to wear frills. I love the watch though!!

29. April 18, 2017 / 6:53 pm

That yellow shirt is lovely! So bright and sunny and I love the combination of black and yellow too. I have fallen in love with that cute little bee too x

30. erin fesperman
    April 18, 2017 / 6:00 pm

I love the bright yellow and contrasting black! It’s so classy. That little bee is just too cute!

31. Michelle Kneece Waller
    April 18, 2017 / 5:37 pm

I just love the jacket. The pop of color is perfect for this outfit. I think everyone needs this jacket in their collection.

32. Sushmita Thakare Jain
    April 18, 2017 / 4:45 pm

Loved the shirt and it’s color will look for one out here 🙂 Thanks for sharing dear.

33. Chei Pangan
    April 18, 2017 / 4:00 pm

Oh these are all awesome items! I love all of it!

34. April 18, 2017 / 1:57 pm

What a gorgeous shirt – love the colour and the way you’ve styled this x

35. Belema Ronabere
    April 18, 2017 / 1:55 pm

I have exactly one yellow piece of clothing and I wear it only when it feels right and when I do, i love it. I always go to black to style it but once i wore it with a burgundy and color blocked it. It looked amazing.

36. Melanie Williams
    April 18, 2017 / 12:22 pm

Not thought about yellow, but love this colour and style. Easy to wear day or evening too. 🙂 x

37. lisa prince
    April 18, 2017 / 12:20 pm

oh i am loving the mustard shade its a colour i would wear

38. Jaime Nicole
    April 18, 2017 / 11:23 am

The yellow shirt is SO cute but I’m totally obsessing over those earrings. They go with this outfit perfectly!

39. April 18, 2017 / 10:08 am

I love the combination, yellow is my favorite colour and with black is just perfect, brilliant decisions

40. Kara
    April 18, 2017 / 8:18 am

I love the yellow frill shirt and think it will all look stunning worn together

41. Rebecca Swenor
    April 18, 2017 / 8:10 am

These are all awesome items indeed. I actually love this yellow frill trim long sleeved shirt. Yellow and oranges have been my colors lately for my clothes. The half boots I love in that style. Thanks for sharing this awesome outfit.

42. Natalia Molinero Mingorance
    April 18, 2017 / 6:36 am

really nice outfit! I love a black look with a strong color to break the monotony 😀

43. My Teen Guide
    April 18, 2017 / 6:19 am

The blouse looks pretty, although yellow is not my color of choice. I’d let my niece know about this cute long sleeved blouse. I know she’ll love it with black skinny jeans and those mustard colored mules. 🙂

44. David Elliott
    April 18, 2017 / 4:49 am

Yellow is not really my color in any way. My daughter on the other hand looks quite beautiful in it. Then again, my daughter looks beautiful in most things.

45. T-Nicole Johnson
    April 18, 2017 / 3:28 am

This post is really helpful. I love the frill trim look. Love the jacket pictured.

46. Marysa
    April 18, 2017 / 3:13 am

This is such a nice combination! I need to do some updating with my wardrobe. These are definitely some great ideas.

47. Jennifer Hazel Quisenberry
    April 18, 2017 / 2:11 am

I love the soft yellow! And I like the structure of the blouse so that the ruffles accentuate the blouse’s seams. Here’s a question. I was, well, blessed in the chest as they say. How do you think this silhouette would look on me? I’m always a little nervous to try things I see online if I can’t try them on in person.

48. Deimarys Colon
    April 18, 2017 / 2:04 am

I am more of a pants and jeans kinda gal! Love the skirt though and that leather jackets it’s just perfect for spring!

49. April 18, 2017 / 12:24 am

These are some really nice clothes. I’m not much of a shopper, but sometimes I think I could be.

50. LaToyia Dennis
    April 17, 2017 / 11:53 pm

Yellow is hot this spring. I saw a cute yellow nail polish that I loved. This is cute!

51. April 17, 2017 / 11:39 pm

These are some lovely clothes, its been ages since I have worn yellow but this top looks nice

52. Melanie Edjourian
    April 17, 2017 / 9:34 pm

I wish I could get away with wearing yellow. I bought a yellow dress a while back and my hubby said it looked really bad against my pasty pale skin. I was gutted as it was a pretty dress. Love that black coat though ,now that I can wear! Frills seem to be in this season.

53. April 17, 2017 / 9:14 pm

I’ve never been a big fan of frills. I have to say though, this yellow one is really appealing to me. I like that you kept the other pieces more neutral too. They blend nicely together.

54. Briana Marie
    April 17, 2017 / 8:33 pm

I love reading these style/fashion posts. Yellow is one of my fave colors to wear. I’m stocking up on more yellow apparel for this spring and summer.

55. April 17, 2017 / 7:42 pm

I love frills this season! I like the way that you would pair it with mules, which is one of my go-to shoes as of the moment. 💛 I’d pair it with jeans as well!

56. tara pittman
    April 17, 2017 / 7:23 pm

Such cute clothes! Spring has left here as we are in the 80’s so these will have to wait until fall for me

57. April 17, 2017 / 5:50 pm

The yellow frill shirt is the perfect way to inject some vitamin D into your spring look and I love the shoes too x

58. Candy Kage
    April 17, 2017 / 5:11 pm

Yellow and black is a must combination. i have a yellow top that I love to wear it has 3/4 sleeves and is perfect for spring weather. Can’t go wrong with a great looking yellow top.

59. Laura Dove
    April 17, 2017 / 5:05 pm

Oh I love this colour scheme! Yellow is such a beautiful colour for spring and so flattering too!

60. Doria Miyata Murphy
    April 17, 2017 / 3:32 pm

Cute! Spring is so fickle here, yesterday it was insanely high for April (we hit mid-80s) and the rest of the week it will be in the 40s and 50s. I definitely still have time for a few warmer pieces 😉

61. April 17, 2017 / 3:24 pm

I love that jacket! I tend to wear a lot of blacks and greys, so this list is nice for me. I prefer shoes that have heals be a bit more on the chunky side. Can’t get away with much less like I did when I was younger!

62. Baby Isabella
    April 17, 2017 / 2:31 pm

Our favourite colour is black so teaming it with yellow is a great suggestions to make us more spring like! 😉

63. Deepa Malhotra Gandhi
    April 17, 2017 / 2:26 pm

Lovely..I loved this look. Yellow is my favourite colour and this look is great. The skirt can be use dwith other things too.

64. Christy Maurer
    April 17, 2017 / 1:42 pm

I’m not sure how well I pull off yellow with my coloring, but I love what you paired with it! The weather here has been iffy too. I’m really hoping that spring is here for real now though.

65. April 17, 2017 / 1:37 pm

I love the leather jacket. I wish it wasn’t so warm in Texas all the time so that I could put on a jacket and not stick to the leather!

66. April 17, 2017 / 1:24 pm

I do have a few yellow things in my closet. Not a whole lot though. I have no idea how I’d style a yellow frill shirt. I’m terrible with fashion.

67. Robin Rue
    April 17, 2017 / 10:53 am

That is a really great look! I am loving that black jacket – very sexy!

68. Alli Smith
    April 17, 2017 / 10:05 am

That yellow shirt does look amazing with black. I love how you can dress it up or down. Those earrings are so cute!