Ten Things New Drivers Should Know

Passing my driving test last year was one of the best feelings in the world for me. I had been trying to learn to drive for the past 7-8 years and I kept putting it off due to this and that. 2017 I made a promise to myself that it would be the year I learnt to drive and passed both tests. I first passed the theory test then practice hard for 3-5 months before doing my practical test. It was like fate that 4 days before 2017 ended I took my test on the worst day possible (weather wise) and nailed it.

The feeling of passing the test I guest can only be surpassed by the feeling of driving your own car for the first time. Due to issues beyond my control I couldn’t get my car in January like I wanted but I do have it now. This Saturday I will be hitting the road and I thought I share ten things new drivers should know.

new drivers

Ten Things New Drivers Should Know

Whilst passing the test I fooled my examiner into thinking I am safe to drive on the open road I still got lots to learn. There are so many things I do not know about my car that I need to take time and look into. And majority of those things I am including in the Ten Things New Drivers should know!!

{1} New Driver Pass Plus

This is something my instructor recommended to me early on. If you were to look at the stats on young drivers who died in-car accidents its staggering. I feel that just because I passed my test doesn’t mean I am still not a learner. For me I feel at least for the first full year of my driving I am still a learn driver. Driving alone is very different from driving with my instructor who has extra pedals should I make a mistake. Taking Pass Plus course is the best choice to get more confident on the road especially motorways.

{2} Buy a Used Car

When I was thinking about buying a car I thought I should buy a new one. Until someone clued me on the stats of new drivers getting into accidents then the cost of repairs. Don’t get me wrong I am not saying you’re guaranteed to be in an accident as a new driver. But I feel a used car can continue to be used as your learner car until you’re more comfortable driving around. And also gives you a chance to save up some pennies to buy yourself a new car. Besides insurance and all other car costs can be a bitch.

{3} New Driver Plates

Display them with pride and take your time learning to drive your car around in your area. It is also a good thing to display so people behind you know not to rush you, no one wants an accident to happen. Display those plates and be comfortable as you drive but ensure to follow the speed limit and not cause congestion.

{4} Get to know your car

I got myself a lovely 2016 Ford Fiesta, which is the same type of car I practiced in and passed in. You could say it’s my comfort car and I am absolutely loving it. But another reason I got it is because I am familiar with it and know most of the things about it. Yes you’ve passed your test but do you know what to do if the engine light comes on? Or how to turn your fog lights on? Where are your hazard lights? Can you change from full beam to normal? It’s important to know your car and where everything is.

{5} Get insured and pay your car tax

If there is one thing I have found to be super expensive outside my car payments is the insurance. Whilst for the first week I am covered by the finance company after that I will need to find my own. There are so many insurance companies these days it’s hard to know which to choose. But among the many options is Cooperative car insurance which my family uses and  Forum Insurance which I am researching.

{6} Know what to do ~ Police and Ambulance

There are so many times have seen drivers unsure of what to do when police flash them or ambulance has to pass. This is not something taught consistently throughout your lessons as a new driver. You need to know when you see police flashing you, pull over when it’s safe to do so. When an ambulance is flashing behind you again find a safe spot to move out-of-the-way.

{7} Remember your lessons

Just because you’ve passed doesn’t mean you should utilize all the tips and tricks your instructor shared. Remember to always check your blind spot and never drive in someone’s blind spot. You also need to remember to always signal and cancel your signals when you’ve completed your maneuver.

{8} Drive safely

Us millennial have so much technology at our finger tips that many of us use it way too often. When it comes to driving its better to be safe than sorry and everyone needs to put the devices down.To many young people have died because they were using their devices behind the wheel of a car. Stay safe {young} new drivers.

{9} How to change a flat tire

I won’t claim to know how to change a flat tire but I do know what to do if you get a flat tire. Pull off the road to a safe place and call road assist to come and help. If you do know how to change a tire then pull off the road safely and change the tire.

{10} Learn how to fuel your car

This is something I feel screams I am now a responsible adult buying gas for my car and paying for it. Having been to so many petrol stations in the last 14 years it’s crazy and I am a sucker for the rules. I am that person that will tell you to switch off your phone or remind you never to smoke at the station. I am actually quite glad to be sharing with you the evolution of petrol stations. As soon as I started learning to drive I knew I needed to know where my nearest petrol stations are. This is something my father taught me to always plan your routes with petrol and rest stations in mind.

#PetrolInThePast

The price of petrol might be a sore point around the family dinner table but it’s just one of those things we couldn’t get by without. For one (and of course, most importantly) we wouldn’t be able to get from A to B but the evolution of petrol stations over the ages has made them much more than just a place to fill up. From pit stops at an attended pump to topping up the weekly shop at a flashy forecourt. Petrol stations have been given quite the makeover since the very first way back in 1888. These days many petrol stations are complete with convenience store and cash withdrawal.

There are so many things that new drivers need to know about before hitting the road. The few I have mentioned above are just half of what I have been reminding myself of. What other things to you think new drivers should know before heading out on the road?

1. May 31, 2017 / 6:53 pm

Thank you Ophelia and good luck to your younger siblings

2. Alayna
    May 30, 2017 / 3:36 pm

I wish I had had an instructor to help me learn. I had my dad, and I failed my first test because he didn’t remember to show me where half the things were like high beams etc LOL

• May 31, 2017 / 7:04 pm

I had my dad to start off then two instructors in the middle whom I stopped half way through with then my last one whom I failed the first time but passed within a few weeks with the same instructor

3. May 29, 2017 / 3:24 pm

This is a good read. My husband is my driving instructor. He also taught me how to change the oil and I have been changing the oil for two years now 😉

• May 31, 2017 / 7:03 pm

oh wow, how to change oil too? That’s really nice

4. May 28, 2017 / 3:18 pm

Oh, congratulations! 7- 8 years is not a joke! But you finally made it this time, I am so happy for you! The best thing to know is to always drive safely!

• May 31, 2017 / 7:03 pm

Thank you Donah, it has been long time coming and glad to have finally achieved this

5. Officer Travels
    May 28, 2017 / 12:11 pm

This is such a good read – my dads a driving instructor and teaches pass plus too, it seems to have gotten less popular recently though with the new generation thinking they know it all 😉

• May 31, 2017 / 7:02 pm

Tell me about it, its crazy how many of us newer drivers think pass plus is not necessary to us anymore

6. Annemarie LeBlanc
    May 28, 2017 / 7:30 am

I remember the first time I drove solo. It was scary but I felt really grown up. My mom was just always in panic mode every time I pulled out of the driveway. Haha. I’m proud that my dad prepared me but teaching me how to change a tire, how to troubleshoot an engine and how to do “defensive” driving.

• May 31, 2017 / 7:02 pm

I would love to learn how to troubleshoot an engine, changing a tire and defensive driving too. You dad sounds epic and mother’s are the same because mine is doing exactly that

7. Cynthia Nicoletti
    May 28, 2017 / 12:04 am

Great story. So glad you are driving now. It is so important to know how to drive.

• May 31, 2017 / 7:01 pm

Thanks Cynthia I am pleased about it myself

8. May 27, 2017 / 4:11 pm

I like the sound of buying a used car when learning to drive. I would feel less conscious if had already been used with a few nicks than if it was brand new in case I might smash it x

• May 31, 2017 / 7:00 pm

Exactly, it would be totally disappointing if you dented a brand new car

9. May 27, 2017 / 2:52 am

I’m not a new driver, but I definitely need to learn how to change a flat! My 17-year-old knows how to change a flat, but I don’t! This is a great list you have compiled here. I think it’s going to really help new drivers out because these tips are very important to know!

• May 31, 2017 / 7:00 pm

Awww how lovely that your 17yo knows how to change a flat tyre!

10. May 26, 2017 / 8:06 pm

I’m not a new driver, but still can’t change a flat tire. Thank God for passing motorists and road side service

• May 31, 2017 / 6:59 pm

Hahaha I am there with you even though I am hoping to learn how to change a tyre

11. David Elliott
    May 26, 2017 / 7:28 pm

Changing a tire and knowing what to do in the case of an emergency are definitely things new drivers need to think about. And I agree that getting a used car given the likelihood of something happening it makes sense.

• May 31, 2017 / 6:58 pm

Thank you David, I am still trying to learn how to change a tyre

12. May 26, 2017 / 3:25 pm

Congrats on passing. I remember when I first got mine I was so excited. This is a lovely blog post and wonderful tips. I’m sure it will help many others out there with their driving.

• May 31, 2017 / 6:58 pm

13. Kaylee
    May 26, 2017 / 1:24 pm

These are great tips for anyone learning to drive or just passing their test. I would also recommend getting a used vehicle to start with, no car payments are also nice!

• May 31, 2017 / 6:58 pm

It depends on what kind of used car you buy because mine is second hand but still on finance

14. Marceline Dementori
    May 26, 2017 / 9:58 am

There’s definitely plenty of things to take care of especially when you’re driving for the first time. I think this is a pretty good guide! I love that you mentioned everything there is to know.

• May 31, 2017 / 6:57 pm

Thank you Marceline, I tried to cover what I am doing or working through myself

15. May 26, 2017 / 9:56 am

I haven’t applied for a driver’s license but I’ve had lessons. I think it’s important to consider all of these. I don’t mind buying a second hand car if it’s my first car. I would rather use that than go all out on a new one.

• May 31, 2017 / 6:56 pm

How are the lessons going? I am glad with my second hand car which honestly looks quite new with less than 10,000 miles on it.

16. May 26, 2017 / 9:28 am

Wow! When I had my driving lessons both from my dad and the driving school instructor, there weren’t extra pedals at all. I have to agree on number 2. New drivers tend to scratch and bump a few times. It’s so hearttbreaking if it’s a brand new car. I’ve been telling my husband this (since he wants to learn how to drive). Now, time for me to learn how to change a flat tire. Thank goodness I never had a flat tire incident, but it’s a needed skill.

• May 31, 2017 / 6:56 pm

When I started with my dad many moons ago there were no extra pedals and it was scary but still found it scary with the instructors as well. Now I am ok ever since I passed my test but find it nerve racking sometimes.

Good luck to your husband

17. Cristina Leau
    May 26, 2017 / 8:45 am

Great list. I don’t think I would ever be comfortable enough to learn how to drive. I don’t trust myself that I would remember which hand is the left and which is the right :)) Congrats on your driving license

• May 31, 2017 / 6:54 pm

Hahaha trust me you would, its scary at first but exciting once you get the hang of it (atleast thats what I am told)

18. Megan
    May 26, 2017 / 3:40 am

These are all great reminders for new drivers and more experienced drivers too! Especially learning how to change a flat!

• May 26, 2017 / 7:47 am

Thank you, learning to change a tire is something I will need more help with

19. Claudia Krusch
    May 26, 2017 / 2:00 am

These are great things for new drivers to know. My Son is just learning how to drive. I will have to share this with him.

• May 26, 2017 / 7:47 am

Good luck to him and thanks for stopping by

20. May 25, 2017 / 8:49 pm

Yes! Drive safely is one people seem to forget these days. Also, being insured. You always hear stories about people getting into an accident and NOT being insured. I don’t get that.

• May 26, 2017 / 7:46 am

I don’t get it either, like why wouldnt you be insured with all the crazy people on the road these days?

21. Nannymomrhonda
    May 25, 2017 / 6:54 pm

lol I only got my license about 6 years ago! I got my husband used car and he got a new one. I had no idea where to pump gas

• May 26, 2017 / 7:46 am

Aww bless you, that was one of my fears but daddy dearest showed me how

22. May 25, 2017 / 6:52 pm

I have had my driver licence for 5 years now! I drove in many countries so it really trained me. I never owned a car though. Would not be really wise in a big city! but great tips hear! xx corinne

• May 26, 2017 / 7:45 am

That must have been a great experience though not sure i will be driving abroad any time soon

23. tara pittman
    May 25, 2017 / 4:30 pm

Congrats on learning to drive! I too got a used car for my first car that way when I hit the curb when parking all was good.

• May 26, 2017 / 7:45 am

Hahaha exactly why i decided used car was better than brand new

24. Shannon Patterson
    May 25, 2017 / 11:34 am

I’ve seen so many drivers get to the gas station and not know how to put gas in their car! These are good tips for new and old drivers.

• May 25, 2017 / 3:14 pm

That used to scare me big time like I don’t want to be that person lol so been practicing with dad

25. May 25, 2017 / 7:51 am

I only passed my test about 5-6 years ago myself too, in my mid-30s! I wore those green L plates with pride afterwards, only taking them off when one blew away in the wind, lol!

• May 25, 2017 / 3:13 pm

I am aiming on keeping it for as long as I possibly can