Basel & Lucern, Switzerland Highlights

Switzerland has been on my wishlist to visit for the longest time (2010) and June 2017 I finally did it. A few weeks back I was searching for cheap flights and saw a flight for £30 return to Basel. I knew immediately it was fate and I booked it and never looked back. Anxiously waiting for the day to arrive I stumbled upon Vicky’s post in a UK blogger group. She was asking if anyone had been to Basel or had posts on the city. I commented that I also am looking for same information and it turned out we were booked on same flight. Isn’t that just incredible, we got chatting, befriended each other on Facebook and as they say the rest is history.

Switzerland

We arrived in Basel around 9.30am after leaving London stagnated around 7.20am though the flight was originally 06.55am. Arriving in Basel, the weather was perfect and we planned on meeting up a couple hours later after check in. I had chosen to stay at IBIS budget hotel, it’s 10 minutes walk from Basel SBB station. You have to exist from gate 30-35 then turn right and walk through the buildings until the end. You will find it on your left across the street and is in the same building as Novotel in front of Swiss-Com.

Wanderings in Basel

Before meeting up with Vicky and her daughter, I went exploring for a bit. I found myself in an area called St Alban then wondered off to the Rhine River and enjoyed the view. Then I found a small lovely place to eat and do some people watching before meeting up with my new friends. We had decided we wanted to see the “three way point” which connects Switzerland, Germany and France. Outside the Basel SBB station, we took tram 8 to kleinehuningen then walked a good 15 minutes to the “tri-point”.

I will be honest there isn’t much to see there and the weather was scotching that day and there isn’t much cover. We took some obligatory pictures and selfies before we hijacked a tour back to take us back to our tram stop. We gave the driver some tips and we were really grateful he did that for us.

Switzerland - tripoint

Exploring the Tripoint

Getting back on tram 8, we went into Germany before crossing the bridge over into France. There was no border control just some police from the German and Swiss side and nothing for France. In France we found a lovely square with a gorgeous fountain where Vicky’s daughter played until she was totally wet. I wandered off for a minute and found a cute church before rejoining my friends and we heard off to a cafe next to the French-German bridge.

After a lovely ice cream and some drinks we went back into Germany, did some shopping and hopped back onto the tram 8. Getting back to Basel SBB station, we went our separate ways for an early night after an exhausting journey previously.

Exploring Lucern

Come Saturday morning we met up at the station and took a train to Lucern which takes an hour or so and costs just over 75 Swiss francs (£56) for a return. Arriving in Lucern we located the tourist information and bought a ticket for the Golden trip which lasts 5.5 hours. We went up Mt. Pilatus via a boat (takes an hour) then a cogwheel tram (takes 30-40 minutes) before disembarking at the top of the mountain.

Switzerland - Pilatus

We explored the mountains a bit, climbing up to one of the high points for a panoramic views. Unfortunately the fog was so thick we couldn’t see down and the entire area was covered in fog. Visibility was so bad we stayed for a bit before getting on a cable car back down the mountain. We walked down to the bus stop and caught bus 1 which took us back to Lucern train station. Where we went wandering the streets of Lucern and found a huge festival on the streets. We enjoyed being in the midst of it but found a nice restaurant where I had lunch. By the time it was 5.30pm we decided to leave Lucern and catch our train back to Basel. It was such an incredible day that I am still in awe of these two cities.

1. Deborah Cruz
    July 4, 2017 / 2:18 pm

What luck that you found someone to meet up with. That is almost unheard of. The world gets so much smaller with the internet. How awesome. Your photos are amazing and it looks like you ladies had a good time marking this off your travel bucket list.

2. Clarinda Santiago
    July 4, 2017 / 10:08 am

A lot of breathtaking landmarks in Switzerland. The place is very rich in history and architecture of the present and the past.

3. Amy Deverson
    July 1, 2017 / 2:51 am

I would love to visit Switzerland. My friend is actually from there and he always talks about how much he loves it. It looks like a great place!

4. June 30, 2017 / 2:31 pm

Switzerland is another place on my wishlist of Countries to visit! It’s a shame that the fog didn’t make your photos come out as well as they normally would, but they are still stunning and show a small glimpse of how beautiful the place really is xx

5. Becca Talbot
    June 30, 2017 / 1:22 pm

It’s a shame it was so foggy when you went up the mountain, but you still got some beautiful pictures! I’ve yet to go to Switzerland – maybe one day! X

6. magz_dc
    June 30, 2017 / 10:15 am

Definitely a great place to visit. Never been to Switzerland but the place is amazing, Thank you for brining the place to us.

Agnes

7. June 30, 2017 / 6:42 am

So funny you did a blog on Swizerland. I met a new friend out here as I am in Bocas and she is from there and I told her I wanted to visit.

8. Tiffany Stuart
    June 30, 2017 / 2:56 am

Wow I’ve never even heard of here. Glad I stopped by. Thanks so much for sharing

9. June 30, 2017 / 12:08 am

This looks like such a beautiful place, I have always wanted to go to switzerland

10. Baby Isabella
    June 29, 2017 / 8:57 pm

Woweee what a small world! Its always a happy coincidence when bloggers find themselves together. Sounds like a great trip and we’d love to visit Switzerland one day x

11. June 29, 2017 / 1:56 pm

I went to Switzerland years ago and had an amazing time. It has so much to offer! How fabulous that you got to go with another blogger and explore together

12. June 29, 2017 / 12:25 pm

What a wonderful trip! That’s one of the things I love about blogging, you can meet so many wonderful people and create lasting friendships. I would love to go to the Tri Point! What a beautiful place. x

13. June 29, 2017 / 5:48 am

I love Switzerland and all it has to offer. We have never been disappointed every time we have visited. I think for a flight at that price and then being booked on the same flight means it was definitely meant to be. You have a lot of great shots in here. Glad you had a nice trip.

14. June 29, 2017 / 2:15 am

What beautiful places you got to explore there. I absolutely love the pictures. I have never been to Europe but they’re high on my bucket list 🙂

15. Annie Brooks
    June 28, 2017 / 9:46 pm

I always pass through Switzerland but never had the chance to visit it. Flights so often come up quite cheap too. I fly in before Chamonix in September, might do some exploring

16. June 28, 2017 / 8:04 pm

What a coincidence. I’d spotted some of Vicky pics on IT yestersay but never expected you to say you were on the same flight. It looks like such a lovely place to visit

17. Neha Saini
    June 28, 2017 / 3:11 pm

Lucern is amazingly beautiful. Lake Lucerne offers something for everyone. You can take a lake cruise, rent a paddle boat, swim, feed the ducks and swans or walk the statue dotted walking path around its borders. Just a beautiful spot to watch people or just the scenery.

18. Kristine Nicole Alessandra VA
    June 28, 2017 / 2:46 pm

Beautiful place. I wish I could visit someday. The view from the cable car is stunning. I wish you were able to explore more, but the weather did not cooperate. Thanks for sharing your experience.

19. June 28, 2017 / 2:20 pm

I’ve always wanted to visit Switzerland! Your trip looked amazing and your pics are great!

20. Betty Boiron
    June 28, 2017 / 1:58 pm

This looks so nice. I’d love to get a chance to visit one day.

21. Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes
    June 28, 2017 / 1:50 pm

I’d love to visit Switzerland, it looks like you really had an incredible time. How great that you got to share the experience with a fellow blogger too!

22. Samantha Bye
    June 28, 2017 / 1:47 pm

The mountain looks so much fun, such a shame it was foggy! You have an excuse to go back now though!

23. Angela Milnes
    June 28, 2017 / 1:30 pm

Wow I bet you had an amazing time there and such a great experience I would love to go there and spent summer.

24. June 28, 2017 / 1:02 pm

I went to Switzerland 2 summers ago and no place has seemed to beat it. So lovely there x

25. A GEEK DADDY
    June 28, 2017 / 11:50 am

This is someplace where though I’d like to visit probably will never make it there. So I really enjoyed being able to share your experience through your post.

26. June 28, 2017 / 9:50 am

I’ve never been to Basal before but Switzerland is definitely on my bucket list x

27. June 28, 2017 / 9:20 am

That’s so nice that you found out you were both on the same flight. I’ve only ever been to Geneva in Switzerland but Basel sounds like a nice place for a quick weekend away x

28. Shannon - Fit SlowCooker Queen
    June 28, 2017 / 7:15 am

Switzerland has been on my bucket list as well. I’m definitely on the look out for a good deal now! Thank you, I pinned this for future reference.

29. valmg
    June 28, 2017 / 6:51 am

I’ve always wanted to visit Switzerland, it’s on my travel bucket list. The colors on the building look like they’d be interesting to see if they might have meanings.

30. Blair Villanueva
    June 28, 2017 / 6:27 am

Switzetland is one of the richest country where you can buy $7 bottled water. I haven’t been there, but my Amore does annually for the BaselWorld.

31. Maurene Cab
    June 28, 2017 / 4:29 am

I know that Switzerland is among the richest countries in the world. Your photos gave me a glimpse of what a rich country looks like.

32. LC @ A Life of Authenticity
    June 28, 2017 / 1:55 am

I so wish I could find cheap flights to anyplace in Europe. You have been very fortunate. Thank you so much for bringing us along for the ride.

33. Pam
    June 28, 2017 / 1:04 am

How cool that you finally got to go to Switzerland. Even cooler that you were on the same flight as another travel blogger and wound jo befriending her.

34. June 27, 2017 / 11:24 pm

What a beautiful place to explore! I enjoyed all your photos. I’ve always wanted to check out Switzerland. It’s just absolutely gorgeous.

35. Marysa
    June 27, 2017 / 11:13 pm

Looks like the trip of a lifetime! I’d love to visit someday. Of all the places to go in Europe, this would be among my top choices.

36. Alicia P
    June 27, 2017 / 11:00 pm

Switzerland is also on my list of places to visit. Great pics and post! Thanks for sharing!

37. June 27, 2017 / 10:11 pm

That sky is unbelievably blue…so beautiful. I’ve never been to Europe, but would love to go one day.

38. T-Nicole Johnson
    June 27, 2017 / 9:47 pm

Great pictures! This looks like a wonderful adventure. I’ve always wanted to visit Switzerland in the summer time.

39. Melanie Williams
    June 27, 2017 / 9:19 pm

Switzerland looks sensational, your piccys are fab. I think need to get booking my trip asap 🙂 x

40. Rebecca
    June 27, 2017 / 9:11 pm

This looks gorgeous. I love that you were able to meet up with another blogger while you were there!

41. June 27, 2017 / 7:20 pm

I have never been to Switzerland but my goodness, how lovely is it? Compared to my little space of Canada which is completely flat! I’d love to go and see the villages. I looks so beautiful.

42. June 27, 2017 / 5:13 pm

I’m in love with Lucerne already because of the mountain views in the area. I’ve always been wanting to go to Switzerland. I am now even more excited.

43. Niki McNeill
    June 27, 2017 / 3:21 pm

This looks like a dream! I’ve always wanted to go to Switzerland, so thanks for the virtual tour!

• June 27, 2017 / 6:05 pm

Switzerland does seem to have that dream like state about it, just such a beautiful place.

44. June 27, 2017 / 2:39 pm

Switzerland always seems to be such a beautiful and peaceful country I would love to get to go myself one day, your photos are stunning.

45. Mummy Times Two
    June 27, 2017 / 2:09 pm

I’ve never been to Switzerland but it’s somewhere I’ve always wondered about goin. Your post has convinced me that it should definitely be on my list!

46. Lauretta
    June 27, 2017 / 2:01 pm

This inspires me to visit Switzerland soon. I will definitely visit Lucern.

47. Jeanette
    June 27, 2017 / 1:30 pm

That would be so cool! I would love to just grab a ticket and go somewhere. I totally admire you for just grabbing your bag and going. I know Switzerland is beautiful and hoping one day I can get there.

48. June 27, 2017 / 1:16 pm

What a beautiful trip!! And I agree that one photo is so what summer should look like 🙂

Sues

49. Stephanie
    June 27, 2017 / 1:03 pm

I’ve never been to Switzerland but my word, it looks and sounds glorious! xx

50. June 27, 2017 / 11:48 am

I always say that the fog has its charm as well and it gives atmosphere to the scenery. I’m glad you enjoyed Switzerland. I always wanted to go as well but the high prices have always put me off.

51. Robin Rue
    June 27, 2017 / 10:26 am

The weather and fog might have tried to put a damper on your weekend, but glad you still had a good time. You made some great memories.