Instagram
3   154
1   523
6   319
10   570
5   561

Top 10 Places to Visit in Bucharest

Bucharest, the Paris of Eastern Europe and a buzzing city to add to your bucketlist. Like many I had heard of Bucharest but nothing past the communist times. It is a shame Romania hasn’t marketed Bucharest to the world as much as it should. So many misconceptions are heard about this city but what many known is something that happened years ago. Like the way people always associate Berlin with the Holocaust, Bucharest is marred by the communist troubles. I am here to put your fears at rest and show you top 10 places to visit in Bucharest.

Top 10 Places to visit in Bucharest

Bucharest, Palace of Parliament

{1} Palace of the Parliament

One of the most magnificent buildings ever in Bucharest and second largest government building in the world. It took me a good 15-20 minutes to walk from my hotel to the Palace and it was DEFINITELY worth it. Whilst I only saw the building from the outside I was totally amazed and next time I hope to book a tour of the inside.

Bucharest, National Theater

Bucharest, Nationa Theatre

{2} National Theatre Bucharest

The outside of the national theatre truly speaks for itself in its beautiful and vibrancy. I was awe-struck looking at all the sculptures outside the theatre and wondered what inside looked like

Bucharest, Stavropoleos Church

{3} Stavropoleos Monastery {Stavropoleos Church}

I stumbled upon this monastery on my way to the palace of the parliament. The monastery is pretty tiny and it’s literally just on the corner in the old town. But the beauty and elegance it showed was second to none, courtyard is a must see place. The church was built in 1724 by Ioanichie Stratonikeas dedicated to the saints of St. Archangels Michael and Gabriel.

{4} Cismigiu Gardens (Park)

Bucharest is a green country with so many parks one can get lost in and enjoy the beauty of. If you’re ever in Bucharest, Cismigiu is one park or gardens that should be on your list to spend an afternoon in. It is very easy to access and offers so much, unique places for kids to place and a small river to paddle boat. I spent a good 20-30 minutes just sat in the park nibbling on my snacks people watching. No one was rushing anywhere unless in London and most places in the UK, everyone took the time to enjoy life.

Bucharest, Romanian Athenrum

{5} Romanian Atheneum

The Romania Atheneum or Ateneul Roman was designed by a French architect Albert Galleron and completed in 1888. The Ateneul Roman  was funded entirely by the general public, showing a true spirit of Romanians. It is one of Bucharest’s most prestigious concert hall and home of the Romanian George Enescu Philharmonic.

Bucharest, Arch de Triumph

{6} The Arch of Triumph

Bucharest is known as the little Paris because of the tree-lined boulevards but mostly Arch of Triumph. The Arch of Triumph was built to honor the fallen soldiers at the time and the building was made from wood. That has since been replaces and now visitors can go inside the arch for panoramic views of the city.

Bucharest, House of Free Press

{7} House of Free Press

Designed by architect Horia Maicu, the House of Free Press is located in the northern part of Bucharest. It is a replica of the Lomonosov University in Moskow in Russia but just smaller in size. House of Free Press still performs the same functions today as it did historically of printing all press in Bucharest. The only addition is that part of the building is now used as Bucharest Stock Exchange.

{8} The old town

This is one of the most important investments in the city that Bucharest has done for its people. A section of the city was cornered off, traffic reduced and cobblestones paved to make this area. It is a success because it is a place where people can enjoy filled with many restaurants and bars as well as cute alleyways. After a long day checking out the rest of Bucharest, the Old Town should be your relaxing place. Take a stroll in the area and appreciate the beautiful Romanian cafes and also your typical high street shops.

Bucharest, National Museum of Romanian History

{9} National Museum of Romanian History

One thing one will notice about Bucharest is just how many museums are in the city including the Village Museum. I managed to walk passed the National Museum of Romanian History and wow, I was in love. The beautiful statue outside in front of the museum is just beautiful to look at. Though I did not go inside I totally recommend checking this place out for yourself.

{10} Revolution Square

Located in the centre of Bucharest is one place filled with too much dark history about Romania. But the restoration has changed the look and feel of this place, now it’s a place of learning from the past.

Bucharest

Bucharest has so much more to offer than the 10 places I managed to visit during my recent visit. Many people are concerned about safety, I was able to travel alone as a female solo traveler and no one cared. Obviously there were stares from the people around but nothing intimidating or frightening. I traveled with my expensive camera and gadgets and still no one cared, it was just another day. I won’t say don’t be vigilant but that applies to all places we visit even at home.

1. June 26, 2017 / 12:50 pm

Bucharest looks like such an amazing place to visit, I really didn’t know much about it at all, so lovely to hear more about it.

2. Denice Joyce Diaz
    June 26, 2017 / 5:44 am

Bucharest looks like an interesting place to visit. I have limited knowledge on places we can drop by, so your list is super helpful!

3. Louise Smith
    June 24, 2017 / 9:04 am

Bucharest looks like such a great place to visit. I love anywhere that’s steeped in history 🙂

Louise x

4. Jessica Dearnley
    June 24, 2017 / 8:48 am

Bucharest looks so beautiful – a friend recently visited there and said he had an amazing time.

5. June 23, 2017 / 9:11 pm

There is so much to visit in Bucharest, I never knew there was also an Arch of Triumph! 🙂

6. Sarah Tonner
    June 23, 2017 / 6:30 pm

I didn’t know much about Romania but Bucharest looks breathtaking.

7. Cindy Nicoletti
    June 23, 2017 / 5:36 pm

Looks like a beautiful place to visit. Would love to see it all one day. Amazing photos.

8. June 23, 2017 / 11:16 am

Romania has been on my hit list for SOOOOO long! I can just never find anyone else that wants to go there with me especially when the flights can often be more expensive compared to other countries. But I will go for sure.

9. Blair Villanueva
    June 23, 2017 / 6:41 am

I like these places. I seems like a perfect spot for city pre-nup photoshoot! They look romantic for me.

10. June 23, 2017 / 4:52 am

Your pictures make me want to start planning a trip there. It sounds like you had a great time.

11. Ana Ojha
    June 23, 2017 / 4:33 am

I’d love to explore the dark history of Romania by visiting Revolution Square and also stroll in Old town. The Cismigiu Gardens also look quite splendid! Thanks for this great comprehensive guide. Have bookmarked your post!

12. June 23, 2017 / 2:37 am

My hubby and I had our fair share of traveling … but we have never been to Bucharest before. I would love to go and thank you for sharing this beautiful escapade with us.

13. Team up Girl
    June 23, 2017 / 12:49 am

I feel so silly, I’ve lived in Europe for 23 years and I never really traveled that much. And now when I am in the U.S. I finally get it what people like about it… amazing pictures btw!

14. June 23, 2017 / 12:44 am

I have never thought of visiting Bucharest before. You are making me want to now.

15. June 22, 2017 / 10:52 pm

bucharest never crossed my mind but i actually wouldnt mind visiting it! i’ve learnt some new things about the city and wouldnt mind visiting one day!

16. June 22, 2017 / 10:43 pm

I’ve never thought about traveling to Bucharest before, although your post really highlights some places that make it special. It would be fun to visit the museum and the Arch of Triumph. It would also be fun to have lunch in Old Town. It’s wonderful when cities have taken care of or revived their downtowns!

17. KokosSecrets
    June 22, 2017 / 10:01 pm

Wow it looks so beautiful. I’ve never thought about going here before but def i’m going to added to my bucket list

18. June 22, 2017 / 8:16 pm

I have never seen pictures of Bucharest before…looks gorgeous! My grandparents went there about fifty years ago and always talked fondly of its culture and people.

19. June 22, 2017 / 7:56 pm

Wow it looks so beautiful. I’ve never thought about going here before but I love the architecture. It looks stunning. x

20. Shannon Graham
    June 22, 2017 / 6:39 pm

I’m amazed at all the gorgeous spots here. I’m definitely adding this one to the bucket list!

21. June 22, 2017 / 5:14 pm

I have heard lots of great things about Bucharest and have added it on my places to visit in the World. Your photos are great, especially the sky on that one of the Arch of Triumph! Very ominous indeed

22. June 22, 2017 / 4:53 pm

I never thought to visit Bucharest. I loved the Garden it looks absolutely whimsical!

23. June 22, 2017 / 4:37 pm

Loved the Bucharest 10 places to visit list .Garden looks so pretty would love to visit one day!

24. Beach Hut Cook
    June 22, 2017 / 4:04 pm

What a great showcase of the city. It does look a great place to visit. Elinor x

25. Chiara Lisbeth de Lisi
    June 22, 2017 / 3:39 pm

Wow, I really would love to visit Bucarest one day! There are so many beautiful things to see!

26. chubskulit
    June 22, 2017 / 1:27 pm

Such beautiful places to visit in BUcharest. The palace is so beautiful, I wish I could visit someday.

27. Laura Hutchins
    June 22, 2017 / 11:34 am

Bucharest is such a pretty city. I’ve not been yet.

28. Blair Villanueva
    June 22, 2017 / 11:18 am

They don’t market their places, maybe because Bucharest knows already that their city and cultures are beautiful. When the city is confidence and shows it, tourist will come in.

29. Rebecca Swenor
    June 22, 2017 / 11:14 am

Bucharest sounds like a great place to visit. I love history and so does my family. The Palace of the Parliament and the National Museum of Romanian History would be amazing to see. Thanks for sharing these awesome places.

30. Yousra Naeem
    June 22, 2017 / 10:42 am

Such beautiful places to visit 😍
    Would love to travel to Bucharest.
    Lovely post!

31. June 22, 2017 / 9:53 am

This is first time I come across an article about Bucharest and never heard of it before, neither was on my list of places to visit! Looks to be a very architectural place and filled with historical building! definitely saving your post for future reference.

32. June 22, 2017 / 9:44 am

I really want to go to Bucharest and then go out to Transylvania so this is really useful for when I get there x

33. Betty Boiron
    June 22, 2017 / 9:06 am

I have never heard of Bucharest but it looks like a beautiful place to visit. I love the beautiful sculptures and architectures in the city!

34. Neha Saini
    June 22, 2017 / 8:44 am

Apart from all the awesome places you’ve listed, the weather of the city too looks beautiful and lively in all the photos that you’ve posted!

35. Laura
    June 22, 2017 / 7:46 am

One of my friends lived in Bucharest for several years but shamefully I hadn’t heard of it until then! Looks really beautiful, especially the lovely historical buildings x

36. Kara
    June 22, 2017 / 7:45 am

It looks like a beautiful city. Have pinned your post for when we visit

37. Olujorby Chemqueen
    June 22, 2017 / 7:05 am

I wish to visit Bucharest someday. I will also keep all these in mind to plan ahead before visiting the place.

38. June 22, 2017 / 6:55 am

Perfect timing. We are planning a trip to Bucharest next month so your post is a perfect guide for us, thank you.

39. valmg
    June 22, 2017 / 5:57 am

I’ve always wanted to visit Bucharest, it’s on my travel bucket list. The architecture looks really interesting, particularly that of the church.

40. rika agustini
    June 22, 2017 / 5:26 am

Beautiful! I have never been to Bucharest, love the architecture.

41. Maurene Cab
    June 22, 2017 / 5:20 am

The Palace of the Parliament looks majestic! Ooh. I want to visit Bucharest. Thanks for sharing more information.

42. Sophie Beland
    June 22, 2017 / 4:15 am

I had never considered visiting Bucharest before! But there are some wonderful things on this list to
    Go see.

43. Mary Fitzgerald Edwards
    June 22, 2017 / 3:54 am

Wow! The architecture is beautiful. I bet there is so much history to be learned in that city

44. Christy Maurer
    June 22, 2017 / 3:32 am

I would love to visit the places where I could learn more about the history. It is so fascinating!

45. June 22, 2017 / 3:07 am

I would love to explore Europe sometime. Bucharest looks like an absolutely amazing place to visit!

46. Claudia Krusch
    June 22, 2017 / 2:07 am

I would love to go to the National Museum of Romanian History. Bucharest looks like a fantastic place to explore.

47. June 22, 2017 / 1:39 am

This looks like a nice place to visit. I’ve heard of Bucharest but didn’t know much about this country. I want to see that Arch of triumph.

48. Andrea Broom
    June 22, 2017 / 12:58 am

I would so love to go to Bucharest, I have a friend from Romania and his pictures always look awesome. the garden looks awesome.

49. fashion-mommy
    June 22, 2017 / 12:41 am

The National Theatre looks like a stunning building. I love the mixture of architecture.

50. Laura Dove
    June 21, 2017 / 11:20 pm

Oh I would so love to go to Bucharest!! It looks amazing and I’ve heard great things about it!

51. June 21, 2017 / 10:52 pm

I would love to visit Romania. I have relatives from Romania. The old town looks like a fabulous destination.

52. June 21, 2017 / 9:15 pm

Bucharest sounds like such an awesome place to explore, I had no idea there was so many places to visit there – I would love to go one day.

53. June 21, 2017 / 8:55 pm

I’d be happy to go to any of these places. Especially that garden. So pretty. The museum would be fun to explore too.

54. Lisa
    June 21, 2017 / 8:19 pm

Bucharest is on my bucket list of places to visit. The history and architecture calls to me! I also have roots there and would love to see where my ancestors lived and worked.

55. Jessica Lynn Martin
    June 21, 2017 / 7:01 pm

I had never heard of Bucharest before. You are right it is a shame Romania doesn’t market it more, because I never heard of it before. Wow, those places are beautiful. I especially love the gardens and the national theater.

56. Pam
    June 21, 2017 / 6:58 pm

I had no idea there was so much to see in Bucharest. I would love to visit Revolution Square and several of the other places as well.

57. June 21, 2017 / 6:52 pm

Bucharest sounds amazing! Your pictures are gorgeous! I have never been to Romania but i’d love to go! xx corinne

58. Jhilmil Mommyinme
    June 21, 2017 / 6:14 pm

Wow, never really had a look at Bucharest! Loved the Romanian Atheneum, Arch of triumph! Good that we all get to know so many beautiful places in the world this way:)

59. FussFreeJen
    June 21, 2017 / 6:11 pm

It’s really interesting to see your side of Bucharest, I wouldn’t have know what to expect; but it really does look like a wonderful city. It is hard to change people’s opinions once there is history, but The World changes all the time, and we really do need to see things in a totally different light. Looks wonderful, and a rather exciting place to visit.

60. Shevii McFarlane
    June 21, 2017 / 5:05 pm

I’ve never heard of Bucharest but it looks gorgeous. The buildings have so much stories to tell.

61. Maro Akamatra
    June 21, 2017 / 4:10 pm

I would love to visit if only for the old city and the gardens. That’s what attracts me to every city.

62. Khushboo Motihar
    June 21, 2017 / 3:58 pm

Back in India, Bucharest is a little known destination. I loved seeing all the places especially the Romanian Atheneum. 🙂

63. Jessica Taylor
    June 21, 2017 / 2:48 pm

I have never heard of Bucharest, but it looks like a beautiful city! So much to do there!

64. Gareth Torrance
    June 21, 2017 / 1:33 pm

Bucharest is such an amazing city! I really need to go back there..

65. Donna
    June 21, 2017 / 1:29 pm

Those gardens! Wow, looks like a fab city to visait – it’s going on my wish list!

66. June 21, 2017 / 1:18 pm

I’ve heard one or two people mention they were looking at going to Bucharest for a short break I will have to tell them about this post. It looks a really nice place x

67. Shannon Patterson
    June 21, 2017 / 12:53 pm

These all look like great places to visit in Bucharest! I’m a sucker for gardens so that would be #1 on my list.

68. Alli Smith
    June 21, 2017 / 12:19 pm

Bucharest has never been on my bucket list of places I’d like to visit. Thanks for changing my mind. I’d love to take a stroll around Old Town.

69. T-Nicole Johnson
    June 21, 2017 / 11:54 am

This is such a great list. I’ve always wanted to visit Bucharest. I can’t wait to go!

70. June 21, 2017 / 11:53 am

This is a place I wouldn’t have thought of visiting, but it truly looks beautiful with so much to see x

• June 21, 2017 / 10:22 pm

I have to admit I’m not sure I would have thought about visiting myself either but it does seem like such a lovely place to go now.

71. Ania Ewelina
    June 21, 2017 / 11:37 am

I’ve been dying to go to Bucharest. I’ve heard nothing but lovely things about it and that it’s such a hidden gem. From your descriptions and images it totally feels like that as well.

72. Talya Stone
    June 21, 2017 / 11:34 am

I’ve never been to Romania and Bucharest looks like a lovely place to visit on a weekend break.

73. Robin Rue
    June 21, 2017 / 11:13 am

I would seriously love to go to Bucharest someday. It sounds like such an amazing city to visit.

74. June 21, 2017 / 10:38 am

I’ve never been to Bucharest before but it does look lovely. Another one to add to the bucket list x

75. June 21, 2017 / 9:47 am

I could have done with this post a decade ago! That’s when we stopped off there for a night while interrailing and we weren’t that fussed by the place. We didn’t really do any research as it was just a stopover but if we knew all these places were here we would have had a better time.

• June 21, 2017 / 10:11 am

Hahahaha 😂
      I think it has changed incredibly for the last 10 years but I appreciate the sentiment. I barely researched the city myself but glad I found these things alone

76. Teona Mango
    June 21, 2017 / 8:35 am

I have never been to Bucharest. But, hopefully will go soon so great to read about it before xx

• June 21, 2017 / 9:24 am

Hope you do, it’s amazing

77. Helen Jacob-Lloyd
    June 21, 2017 / 8:21 am

I’ve never been to Bucharest, but it looks like there’s so much to see and do!

• June 21, 2017 / 9:24 am

There really is and much more

78. Lauren Porter
    June 21, 2017 / 8:05 am

I’ve never thought of visiting here – it looks wonderful! The church looks amazing & it’s great that they have made it more pedestrian friendly 🙂 x

• June 21, 2017 / 9:24 am

I loved what they had done to the old town and how lovely they have made it. Definitely worth a visit