Back to school items should have

Last week I shared back to school items your forgot about and many seemed to be on top of things. An odd item here or there missing but mostly up to scratch. So if you’re one of those parents who think they have everything then use this post as a checklist. Back to school time can be such a stressful time if you’re not prepared for it. I know some people work best last-minute but not all kids can cope. To save your sanity and that of your family it pays to be organised.

Being organised should not only be restricted to the mums running around like headless chickens. But to the entire family, ensure that you involve the kids in every process to ensure they are ready. I remember as a kid my mum always ensured we helped choose our own school schools and backpacks. We felt very involved and wanted to do more, including going to bed earlier to wake up early.

Another thing that helped was having a Back to School checklist, we are all different so these will be too. Customize the check it to each individual kid and make them responsible for it. Whatever is common for all put somewhere they can all see and utilize. Now that we have that handled, here are the back to school items should have already.

back-to-school items should have

Image courtesy of https://pixabay.com

Back to school items should have

Uniforms or labelled clothes

Apart from senior high, all the schools I went to I had to wear a uniform. In a way it saved my parents money on other clothing but that was no easy feat either. Luckily for my siblings and I my mother is a talented woman who can do anything. If it wasn’t mandatory to buy uniforms, she made them herself and often were better than the school offered.

I remember my brother went through a growth spurt where each term he needed a new uniform. Can you imagine how much that would have cost my parents if they had to buy them. Luckily mother made them for him all sized up and he surpassed them by the end of the third term.

For those who are {un}lucky not to need specific uniforms it calls for being creative. Especially for the young kids whom losing clothes is a vocation and happens regularly. My young sister always managed to lose her gym shirts and come home with someone else’s kits. It drove my mother insane until she started labeling her clothes and it almost solved the problem. Somehow some kits still managed to get lost so mum always had spared somewhere.

Winter clothing {Wellies, coats and umbrellas}

I mentioned wellies {winter boots} and coats in my previous post especially in the UK. Our weather leaves nothing to be desired and if you want to ensure your kid’s school shoes lasts, wellies are it. I know it can be a nuisance having to dress them in wellies as they leave the house then at school back into normal shoes. But better that than having to spend money every single term on school shoes which is not cheap.

Winter coats are a no-brainer, you need your child to be warm and comfortable at school. There are many companies out there selling the best winter jackets and coats for kids. Whilst I don’t have kids I know my SIL loves Frugi – a company that sells amazing organic clothing. The likes of Matalan, George Asda always has a great range of back to school products at affordable prices.

back to school

Stationery {Books, Pens or Pencils, sharpeners, markers, crayons and stickers}

I remember when I was in grade school I went through pencils like a sharpener. Not sure how I managed to lose so many in a space of one week I needed a new pack. My mum couldn’t understand it even my teachers had not clue either. Up to this day I have no clue what I did with those pencils but probably the play area can enlighten me. Make sure you stock up on as many pencils and pens as you possibly can. Crayons where another stationery I managed to lose quite often. These days you have cute stickers that can be put on all your stationery so it doesn’t get lost.

Birthday lists and invites

Yes I am including birthday lists, because as soon as school starts it is some kids birthday or even your own. Are you prepared for that? Are you looking for tips on how to celebrate a birthday like a celebrity that you are? Or maybe this year you just want something low-key for your kids.

I have been seeing a lot of ads on Facebook about birthday registries which I am not sure about. Obviously we want our kids to get something they will love and need but registries? Ain’t we going just a tad bit too far on this, it should always be about celebrating another year. It shouldn’t be about adding more presents to your kids collection unless it’s books.

Lunch Box check list

As a kid this was one of the most exciting things about being back to school. Mum is a genius, a creative one at that and made our lunches so much fun. We don’t come from a rich family, we are middle class family but we had it all. Mum can bake and she can whip up delicious meals so our lunch boxes where the envy of the playground. I hope one day when I have kids I will be able to offer up the same if not more.

I have nothing against school dinners but most often don’t meet parent’s expectations. Not all parents are fussy, they just want their kids to have the best food and snacks for nourishment. Not eating for the sake of eating, which for many schools is the case.

Even though some schools offer school lunches, you can still have a lunchbox checklist. You can pack different snacks that your child loves and will enjoy after the school dinner is polished off.

I hope you will find this post useful and for some a checklist of what you should have already.

*Collaborative*

1. August 26, 2017 / 10:50 pm

Great list! Definitely forgot about wellies that’s for sure, those are a must!

2. Melanie
    August 25, 2017 / 6:13 pm

Such a fab checklist and saves the whole thought process of having to make a list 🙂 x

3. Rani Bruyns
    August 25, 2017 / 5:23 pm

Great tips for the back to school rush, I’m lucky to not have to worry about these things hihi

4. Newcastle Family Life
    August 25, 2017 / 3:48 pm

I am fairly organised with back to school, I get all the uniforms in before the summer. I just need new shoes for my three children and winter coats ( but there is none in the shops yet) plus a few little stationery bits for my eldest as she is going into year ten x

• August 25, 2017 / 3:52 pm

You’re definitely on top of your list, well done you.

5. Cherri Littleton Megasko
    August 24, 2017 / 10:08 pm

Birthday registries? Oh my goodness – no thanks! Here in the US a lot of schools have really strict rules on birthday parties. Some will not allow the distribution of invitations at school (because if someone doesn’t get invited it hurts their feelings) and some say if you invite one classmate you must invite them all (although I don’t know how they can enforce that). Anyway in some areas it’s a major point of contention.

6. Kita Bryant
    August 24, 2017 / 7:00 pm

I can always use a list to help me remember. Lord knows it’s easy to forget everything the kids need!

7. Melanie Edjourian
    August 24, 2017 / 5:04 pm

Great check list, I need to check my children’s labels and make sure I have all their stationary labelled too.

8. Karen Gough
    August 24, 2017 / 4:24 pm

I’m saving this so I can read it again next week when I sorting through the girls school stuff

9. Baby Isabella
    August 24, 2017 / 3:31 pm

Great checklist! I start BIG school for the first time in September and will definitely be following this!

10. Jaime Nicole
    August 24, 2017 / 12:31 pm

This is a fantastic checklist! I love the lunchbox checklist – I’m always forgetting what I have or don’t have. Awesome idea!

11. August 24, 2017 / 11:12 am

What a brilliant check list! very helpful. My kids went back to school last week but its so important to label everything.

12. August 24, 2017 / 10:19 am

I used to love going into Partners as it was called then and buying all my stationery for the new school year, it made me so happy x

13. August 24, 2017 / 10:15 am

I like the idea of a lunch box checklist. I’m always struggling to remember what to pack and trying not to forget something. A check list is a great idea.

14. Attachment Mummy
    August 24, 2017 / 10:04 am

Great check list, and advice. I’m sure it must be a nightmare getting everything together ready for the start of school.

15. Our Family World
    August 24, 2017 / 9:37 am

Great list! I always loved buying stationery. The smell of new paper made me excited to go back to school. A birthday list is something new to us. I will have to start on that this year with the kids.

16. Kara
    August 24, 2017 / 7:53 am

I am really disorganised this year and I normally have it all sorted. Most of the kids uniform still fits luckily but it’s the stuff that sells out that I need – ties and jumpers

17. Gareth Torrance
    August 24, 2017 / 7:47 am

I am dreading the day my daughter goes off to school… At the moment, she won’t be my little baby anymore…

18. August 24, 2017 / 6:13 am

Thanks for sharing this helpful tips! For me I think I’d probably go for the stationary first and clothing since kids these days grow up so fast.

19. August 24, 2017 / 2:55 am

Aw yes stationary is a must. I would always lose pens so I always had to keep buying new ones at the new start of a new term x

20. Marysa
    August 24, 2017 / 2:28 am

I am just starting to plan for school! We just got our school supply lists on Saturday, and I am starting to feel overwhelmed. These are definitely items that tend to get overlooked, and it is nice to be able to plan ahead.

21. August 24, 2017 / 1:47 am

These are excellent items that are usually overlooked. The stationary definitely! And the lost art of thank you cards and birthday cards.

22. Lynn White
    August 24, 2017 / 12:24 am

I don’t have kids, but I’m sure parents find it super helpful!

23. August 23, 2017 / 10:56 pm

Great list of things to remember! I used to hate going back to school! The highlight for me was buying a new school bag and colourful new stationary sets. I was one of those girls that had a gel pen in every colour lol

24. Laura Dove
    August 23, 2017 / 8:58 pm

I thought I had a pretty thorough list but I hadn’t even thought of a birthday list! I’m not looking forward to all of the parties starting again!

25. Stephanie
    August 23, 2017 / 8:58 pm

Great list of things to remember, I am in denial that they are going back to school soon!

26. Mummy Times Two
    August 23, 2017 / 8:48 pm

Wellies are definitely something I always forget and then panic when winter shows up and we need them.

27. August 23, 2017 / 7:47 pm

This is a great little list of things that parents may not think about. We homeschool and don’t have to worry about these things, thankfully.

28. Candy Kage
    August 23, 2017 / 7:20 pm

I know your did this for getting organized for back to school. Really finding it very helpful in my everyday to day home life. Just need to get everyone else on board.

29. Healthy & Psyched
    August 23, 2017 / 6:44 pm

I always loved buying new stationary when it was time to go back to school!

30. August 23, 2017 / 6:40 pm

I can’t believe how quickly bad to school has come around and how it really is almost time to make sure those winter clothes are at the ready.

31. August 23, 2017 / 6:10 pm

Haha, as a teacher my biggest tip is to label everything…! It would make my life after a PE lesson so much easier, haha!

32. August 23, 2017 / 4:34 pm

I feel like I have ocd when it comes to back to school! At least two to three weeks out, I’m buying supplies, checking to see if my son needs a new backpack and checking all his sizes. He’s growing so quickly now as a teen!

33. August 23, 2017 / 3:24 pm

im homeschooler mum to 8 and so i dont need to worry about uniforms but i can enjoy the stationary part of things as im what you would calla little of an addict , i love the awesome collections , i do remember the nightmare of losing items often and having to pay for more because the names washed out and thy got lost or taken from an other child , the labels are a great idea

34. Tomi_C
    August 23, 2017 / 2:31 pm

We found some personalized fabric labels and they really came in handy for labeling items for our kids when they were in day care and elementary school and even Summer Camp. The labels were specially created to adhere to fabric and stay.

35. Jeanette
    August 23, 2017 / 2:26 pm

School just started here so I have just about everything I need. The one thing that always gets me is how soon my kiddos birthday is for when school starts. I have to have invites out the day school starts so that people can plan.

36. Lucie1979
    August 23, 2017 / 1:55 pm

Great post! I’d never have thought to include birthday lists!! Amazing idea!!

37. Amanda
    August 23, 2017 / 1:47 pm

You are so right to include birthday lists. I am always scrambling when party planning and being prepared right off the bat would make my life so much easier!

38. Alli Smith
    August 23, 2017 / 12:43 pm

I’m with you when it comes to birthday registries. Really? That’s going a tad too far. Schools started back here last week. I wish they waited until after Labor Day like we did when I was in school.

39. Super Busy Mum
    August 23, 2017 / 12:22 pm

My kids start back to school next week – the summer holidays has FLOWN by. I did all of my back to school shopping quite early – thankfully!

40. Sarah
    August 23, 2017 / 11:51 am

We just went back to school yesterday! This year we did all the back to school shopping early and it made is totally stress free!

41. Robin Rue
    August 23, 2017 / 10:58 am

We actually aren’t allowed to pass out birthday invites at our school. Kids have to sneak them to each other LOL. It’s so no one feels excluded and I totally get it.

42. August 23, 2017 / 9:56 am

I used to love getting to pick my new stationery ahead of the new school year x

43. August 23, 2017 / 9:34 am

Ah I can still remember the ‘back to school’ annual moments when I was a kid! I loved the stationary shopping ha

44. Helen Jacob-Lloyd
    August 23, 2017 / 7:08 am

I can’t believe it’s already time to talk about winter clothes! I used to love getting new stationary before going back to school 🙂