Things to do in Bristol

Bristol is the 12th largest city and has been voted as one of the ‘Best places to live’ in England. A few weekends ago I made a decision to do a spontaneous trip to explore the city of Bristol. I am a spontaneous person by nature but I also ensure to think through my plan. But this time there was no such thing, I texted my sister at 7pm Friday and told her to get to mine before 11am the next day. That very Friday night I booked us the Best Western hotel in Henbury for Saturday night.

Things to Do in Bristol

I have been to Bristol once before and that was purely to do some shopping with a friend. The city was buzzing with life regardless of the weather and made me want to re-visit. This post aims to share with you the places that we were able to explore. Though we did not have much time, we certainly made sure to visit the ‘must see’ places.

Clifton Suspension Bridge

The Clifton Suspension Bridge also called Isambard Kingdom Brunel is a giant civil engineering bridge built in 19th century. It is an iconic landmark soaring hundred meters above Avon Gorge with two stone towers. It spans the Avon Gorge and the River Avon, linking Clifton in Bristol to Leigh Woods in North Somerset.

Clifton Observatory

Located right next to the Clifton suspension bridge, the observatory is a form miller in the downs. Though we couldn’t get up to the observatory we had a lovely time exploring the outside. From the observatory you get such amazing views of the Clifton Suspension Bridge and the surrounding area.

Clifton Village

It would not be right to visit the Clifton Suspension Bridge and miss out on the village by it. It is  charming little village filled with little cafes, boutiques and restaurants. The weather wasn’t perfect when we went but we had a lovely walk.

University of Bristol

Did you know that Prince Albert of Monaco even James Blunt studied at the University of Bristol? I sure didn’t know until my recent visit and a bit of research about the university. Whatever university I visit across Europe, I am always reminded of my own University of Hertfordshire. The university opened it’s doors in 1876 and is one of England’s leading universities.

Wander the city of Bristol

Because we had arrived quite late and the weather was terrible, we were limited to what we could do. I did not want to drive around in the city as I wasn’t sure about the parking. What thing we did a lot of was explore the city centre in all its glory. It was packed with students as it was open day, the entire place was buzzing and we did some shopping.

We had such an amazing time checking out Bristol on a drolly day but it was perfect regardless. Have you ever been to Bristol? What was the best place you enjoyed visiting?

1. Cassandra
    September 27, 2017 / 6:18 am

Whilst living in London I never got the chance to visit Bristol >_< My friend is taking her degree there!

2. Kacie
    September 25, 2017 / 3:54 pm

I should really visit Bristol more, as it’s so close to Cardiff.

3. francesca
    September 25, 2017 / 2:00 pm

I’ve wanted to visit Bristol but haven’t actually done it yet!! It’s good to know there are some solid things to do there I’d definitely look into them whenever I find I am making the trip!

4. Baby Isabella
    September 25, 2017 / 12:12 pm

We’ve never visited Bristol but heard that the shopping is out of this world. Clifton looks like a nice area too!

5. Laura Dove
    September 25, 2017 / 11:47 am

I’ve never been to Bristol but it looks gorgeous! I had no idea! We have passed by it several times but never actually gone into the city!

6. September 25, 2017 / 10:03 am

Bristol sounds amazing.I have never visted .The Bristol suspension bridge looks fantastic and a must visit.

7. September 25, 2017 / 7:00 am

So glad you liked my city! It’s the best (although I’m bias!) I’d recommend visiting Stokes Croft next time you’re here xx

8. Helen Clark
    September 24, 2017 / 9:19 pm

I’ve never been to Bristol and didn’t know much about it either. It looks a gorgeous city though, I really love the suspension bridge. We might need to have a weekend here ourselves now!

9. Jennifer Gladwin
    September 24, 2017 / 8:56 pm

We’ve only been to Bristol once (pre-child en) and we seemto have missed loads!

10. Louise O'Brien
    September 24, 2017 / 8:41 pm

It’s been lovely to get these tips. I went to Bristol on the way to Cornwall and loved it 😊 would like to go back one day x x

11. September 24, 2017 / 8:16 pm

I’ve always wanted to go Bristol as Skins was set there! The Clifton bridge sounds amazing. I love the pictures you’ve popped in this post 😀

12. September 24, 2017 / 6:12 pm

I have been to Bristol quite a few times now, even to see the Balloon Fiesta and Clifton Bridge is indeed stunning. Not great if you’re afraid of heights though. I also love exploring the waterfront of the city, where all the cafes are.

13. September 24, 2017 / 10:54 am

Living in Ireland I have never been but I love reading guides to cities makes it easier if i ever do come over, plus is all looks amazing

14. Elodie
    September 24, 2017 / 3:16 am

I absolutely LOVE Bristol! I’ve been a few times as a university student and would love to go back now and actually explore rather than go on crazy nights out. Ha!

15. Lauretta
    September 24, 2017 / 2:08 am

I’ve been wanting to visit te University of Bristol.

16. September 23, 2017 / 3:30 pm

My son used to play tennis in Bristol quite regularly but I’ve never really explored the city. Looks like a great place to visit!

17. David Elliott
    September 23, 2017 / 3:27 pm

Looks like it was an amazing time there in Bristol. The suspension bridge does look cool. And my daughter and I would have loved the observatory.

18. Kristin
    September 23, 2017 / 2:00 pm

Bristol looks gorgeous! Such pretty little streets. I need to visit soon!

19. Joanna
    September 22, 2017 / 10:00 pm

I’ve yet to visit Bristol even though my sister in law lives there, its great to see that there are some great things to do there for when we eventually visit.

20. Eva Phan
    September 22, 2017 / 5:30 pm

Bristol looks absolutely gorgeous! When I went to England I didn’t have much time to venture outside of London, but next time I’ll have to make it out of the city!

21. elena torres
    September 22, 2017 / 5:25 pm

I have seen many posts about this place and yours made it more apparent that I have to visit. You have wonderful pictures and information. Thanks for sharing 🙂

22. September 22, 2017 / 4:57 pm

Bristol is somewhere I have never been, although my cousin went to Uni there so I did hear a bit about it, it seems like a place with so much going on.

23. pearsonlaurauk
    September 22, 2017 / 3:43 pm

I’ve never been, but it’s definitely on my list to visit now x

24. Aritra Raj
    September 22, 2017 / 12:55 pm

I love these travel posts. Even if I don’t go, still I get so much information. Keep them coming.

25. September 22, 2017 / 12:21 pm

The city is absolutely gorgeous. I’d love to take a tour one day. I just did a on day walk tour in Amsterdam that was super fun.

26. Dada KS
    September 22, 2017 / 11:34 am

Ohh what a fun city break! We are more a nature family so we dont do very often a city escape but sometimes it really can be really fun! I am glad that inspite of the rain you guys enjoyed Bristol! I hope to get there one day…especially standinf on that bridge!