Winter Travel Tips

Traveling during winter has always been a bit of a hit and miss for many people. To date I have been fortunate to have had fairly good experience traveling during winter and hope that doesn’t change. There are so many winter travel tips out there but most focus on your clothing than the journey. In a couple of weeks time I will be off to Rome then off to Frankfurt before winter sets in. Then during winter I have two more trips Prague {January 2018} and Pisa {February 2018}. All of these upcoming trips have prompted me to put together winter travel tips that you should consider.

winter travel tips

Clothing

When it comes to dressing for winter, I take no prisoners and always aim for warmth. But with that comes extra baggage but consider fleece clothing and wear the winter coat than packing. I have cold feet by nature so I am always after insulated shoes and clothing. Ensure that you’ve packed, gloves, scarves, hats as well as coats to ensure you stay warm. Though I am always advocating adding colour to your wardrobe, winter travel calls for darker colours. This is because darker colours won’t show stains easily and pack waterproof items.

Check Flight Status

With the advancement in technology, we no longer have to rely on being at the airport to check flight status. I have downloaded airline apps and track my flights religiously for any changes. During winter there are always delays of some sort so its important to check flight status. Make sure to also check the airlines social media for any issues and also check the weather.

Avoid connecting flights {where possible}

I am an advocate for connecting flights because it allows me to add another country to my itinerary. But during winter if I can avoid it I prefer to have direct flights only. I would also suggest to book morning flights than evening flights as morning are rarely interrupted. And even if they are cancelled you have chance to rebook or be moved to another flight.

Have the Correct Travel Insurance

Whenever I travel anywhere in the world I always ensure I have the correct insurance with me. I always check with my bank whom I have the insurance with what is covered and what isn’t. For those with pre-existing conditions, consider single trip medical travel insurance. Having the correct medical travel insurance is so important to avoid unforeseen medical bills should something happens. Always double-check before traveling what kind of insurance you need and should have for every trip.

Stock up on snacks

Those who know me know I am a sucker for snacks, I am always snacking on something. I recently discovered Bear Nibbles which are 100% pure fruit and veg snacks with no additives.  One thing that I always make sure I pack is protein bars and chocolates. Yes you want to eat healthy but sometimes I feel having some chocolate around never hurt anyone. Also pack an empty bottle so you can fill it up with water or juice when on the go.

Charge your devices

Whenever there are delays with flights people find themselves looking for charging ports at airports. Make sure to charge devices in advance, pack portable chargers and put phone on low power mode. I always ensure to remove any background updates that might be happening on my phone to save the battery.

Traveling regardless of the season should be fun but also calming and relaxing. Putting together winter travel tips is one way I can ensure to have stress free travel. What are some of your winter travel tips that you use?

*collaborative

1. Jessica Taylor
    November 20, 2017 / 2:28 pm

We aren’t traveling this winter, but these are awesome tips! I always try to pack snacks so we can avoid making 30 stops with the kids.

2. Malcolm S
    November 18, 2017 / 2:25 am

Some great tips there I’ll definitely keep in mind when back travelling through Europe! I’ve always wanted to check out Spain in winter for some reason.

3. November 18, 2017 / 1:22 am

these are some great tips… we are planning for a vacation in december 😀

4. November 17, 2017 / 7:43 pm

Wow you have some exciting travel plans! I visited Rome last year, such a beautiful city to explore! Stay warm!

5. Hannah Marie
    November 17, 2017 / 6:51 pm

Great tips! I didn’t know that it is better to avoid connecting flight during winter. I guess it’s not so easy to travel. I like to be extra ready when traveling.

6. Ruth I.
    November 17, 2017 / 5:33 pm

I think connecting flight is fun and difficult at the same time. You just need to be always on check about time. These tips are helpful!

7. November 17, 2017 / 4:12 pm

Keeping it warm is the most important during winter. My winter trips are going to be easier as I plan on warm countries but if I go for colder places I always take my warmest clothes. I can’t believe it but I do choose warmth over fashion

8. Alicia Taylor
    November 17, 2017 / 3:54 pm

I couldn’t agree more with this list. I haven’t traveled internationally, but even traveling across the US, I’ve run into things – like forgetting to charge my phone, leaving Florida in shorts and flip flops in October – and arriving in MN wishing I’d packed a coat!

9. Maro Akamatra
    November 17, 2017 / 10:17 am

These are great tips. We usually dress and pack in layers to make sure we will be prepared for any type of weather.

• November 17, 2017 / 1:18 pm

Same, I was never a fan of layering until British weather taught me a lesson or two lol

10. November 17, 2017 / 10:06 am

Thanks for these useful travel tips.

11. Emmanuel Damian
    November 17, 2017 / 10:04 am

These tips are so helpful! I always have a powerbank with me during travels too.

12. Cristina Leau
    November 17, 2017 / 8:39 am

Those are some great tips. I always charge my phone before we go and have a spare phone charged and shot down as well as a portable charger :))

• November 17, 2017 / 1:20 pm

I just make sure my phones are charged, portable chargers too and reduce battery usage as that can help big time

13. Ophelia Tang
    November 17, 2017 / 4:02 am

I love the tips in your post. It is very helpful. I always pack extra clothes because I am afraid of the cold. Thanks for sharing.

14. Claudia Krusch
    November 17, 2017 / 2:55 am

Travelling in the winter can be stressful but it is so worth it. I always make sure to get an update on my flight before I leave for the airport. We have a few trips planned for this winter.

• November 17, 2017 / 1:21 pm

I do the same, winter weather can cause for many headaches but its so worth it once all goes to plan or sorted in the end

15. November 17, 2017 / 2:54 am

We live at the base of the Cascade Mountain range here in Wa. If you drive East there are always winter warnings and the car needs to be well prepared

16. November 17, 2017 / 2:29 am

Great advice! The charged phones are a big one for me, especially since getting to the airport is a trek for me in itself.

17. November 17, 2017 / 1:14 am

I love these tips. I do try to avoid connecting flights when I can. I’m always paranoid I’ll miss it!

18. DeeJay | Mom Life
    November 16, 2017 / 5:02 pm

These are great tips! i took my first trip out of the country this past month and now I have the travel bug. I will definitely take this into consideration.

19. November 16, 2017 / 3:45 pm

I am so bad at dressing for winters. I’ll either take too many things or just not the right things. I guess checking out on flights is essential too!

20. Growing Up Bilingual
    November 16, 2017 / 2:42 pm

These are all great tips for winter travel. We are hoping to travel somewhere warm this winter.