National Trust Properties to explore in Oxfordshire

National Trust has an abundance of properties across the country entrusted to them to preserve for future generations. As a member I vowed to explore all the National Trust properties locally to me and share the Local Adventures. Between August and November I have explored several of the National Trust properties in Oxfordshire and shared them on here.

Most of the iconic properties in Oxfordshire I have been and below are the snapshots. To think I pay a membership of a mere £6.50 a month and get so many freebies like free parking. It truly is incredible and I highly recommend individuals and families to join. Here is an overview of the properties in Oxfordshire, on the National Trust Homepage.

National Trust Properties to explore in Oxfordshire

Nuffield Park {Henley on Thames}

Originally the manor aka Merrow Mount a home to a shipping magnate called Sir John Bowring. Oswald Patridge Milne designed the house in 1914, in 1933 it was sold to William Morris, Lord Nuffield. In 1930 Sir William Morris received the honor of a Baron to become Lord. As there was already a Lord Morris, he chose to be called Lord Nuffield from the local village.

Greys Court{Henley on Thames}

Greys Court was a family home owned by Lord and Lady Brunner who bought the house in 1937 from Sir William Stapleton. Lady Brunner {nee Elizabeth Irving} is the granddaughter of the famous Victorian actor Sir Henry Irving. The Tudor country house has only ever had 5 families live in it with the Brunner family being the last.

Basildon Manor{Reading}

Basildon Park is an 18th-century country house located in west Berkshire, 2 miles south of Goring & Streatley. The Palladian style property was designed by John Carr for Sir Francis Sykes but has since gone through many owners. In 1978 the property was donated to the National Trust by Lord and Lady lliffe in hopes of it being maintained for future generations.

Ashdown House {Newbury}

Ashdown House, also known as Ashdown Park is a 17th-century country house in Oxfordshire. The house was built in a hunting style by William for his good friend Elizabeth as a retirement home. Unfortunately Elizabeth, sister of Charles I died before the house could be completed. The house has had it’s fair share of tenants including the army during the world war II.

Other National Trust Properties around Oxfordshire

There are many other National Trust places around Oxfordshire that I can recommend but yet to explore. Most of them are closed during Winter months and re-open in Spring. The following properties are what is next on my list after winter:

• Priory Cottages {Abingdon}
  • Badbury Hill {Swindon}
  • Great Coxwell Barn {Farringdon}
  • Buscot Park and Old Parsonage {Farringdon}

Every day I am thankful to live in such a beautiful country and think the National Trust do an incredible job. To think most of these properties have been preserved for future generations is amazing. I love visiting the properties and listening to the guided tours offered. For me I value learning about the past and the people who resided in these places.

1. Nicole Wi
    January 9, 2018 / 1:10 am

This sounds like that a great place to visit! I should put it on my list for weekend trips this year 🙂

2. Shraddha Tripathi
    January 8, 2018 / 6:25 pm

It’s a beautiful place and these kinda historical places are must visit for children and students. India is a country full of historical places like this.

3. January 8, 2018 / 5:16 pm

Wow that’s beautiful and it would be fun to know about historical places… it would be a lovely getaway ☺️👍🏻

4. Khushboo Wase
    January 6, 2018 / 2:47 pm

This place looks amazing.. I love visiting historical places it’s fun to know more about history..

5. Hannah Marie
    January 5, 2018 / 7:25 pm

These are beautiful places! I agree that they are doing a great job in preserving these treasures. I hope future generations will appreciate it more.

6. Milton
    January 5, 2018 / 1:03 pm

I find historical tours very interesting too! I love the stories behind the locations 🙂

7. Denay DeGuzman
    January 5, 2018 / 4:43 am

Wow! You and your country are so blessed to have these national treasures. I would be in heaven being able to visit such estates. I’d touch the walls and wonder what secrets they hold from past generations.

8. Claudia Krusch
    January 5, 2018 / 3:14 am

Oxfordshire looks like a great place to explore. I love to look at older places. It is fascinating to learn the history.

9. January 5, 2018 / 12:29 am

Yeah, I am kinda jealous of your location. I would love exploring this!

10. Kimberly Caines
    January 4, 2018 / 11:20 pm

Wow these buildings are so old yet so well maintained. Gorgeous. You must have had a blast exploring them. Great for picture taking too.

11. January 4, 2018 / 11:00 pm

What a great way to see national treasures!! I can see if you invest in the National Trust you are more likely to schedule time to see these iconic destinations. Have fun!!

12. Rose Mont
    January 4, 2018 / 9:15 pm

This sounds like a great deal. I don’t know if we have something like that here. I do like the package rate and to include parking is a bonus. I hate paying for parking and have been known to park miles away and walk.

13. January 4, 2018 / 9:12 pm

What some absolutely beautiful looking places to explore, Oxford really does seem to have such a range of beautiful buildings.

14. Jeanette Humphries Radmall
    January 4, 2018 / 8:29 pm

What a beautiful post about a stunning location. I hope to visit there someday!

15. Ben Grubwiller
    January 4, 2018 / 8:15 pm

Seems like there are som beautiful places to visit. Also have to go sometime..

16. Karen Presley Dawkins
    January 4, 2018 / 2:52 pm

I would love to visit someday. Here in the US, our national treasures are nowhere near as old or grand as they are across the pond. So beautiful! And, a great roundup.

17. January 4, 2018 / 1:23 pm

I am so glad there are organizations like National Trust to keep these gorgeous places preserved. I know I always have fun going through manors and other old places. It’s interesting to learn how people lived back in the day.

18. Leo T. Ly
    January 4, 2018 / 12:46 pm

I haven’t had the opportunity to travel to the UK yet, but I have read numerous posts about historical buildings and sites that I would love to visit one day. I am so jealous that that you get to live so close to these wonderful treasures that you can visit anytime you want.

19. January 4, 2018 / 11:21 am

All these properties look fantastic! They are so pretty and well preserved. I live in London and I know i need to explore more. Nuffield place looks so lovely!

20. January 4, 2018 / 9:28 am

Greys Court looks beautiful. I haven’t visited any of these places which shows you how I am not much of an adventurer which I do plan to change this year and explore more.

21. Christopher McGuire
    December 13, 2017 / 3:08 pm

I love the National Trust. Some great ideas on places to visit here. Thanks for sharing.

22. December 13, 2017 / 8:47 am

Wow you have some seriously gorgeous places to visit. I always love going to old houses with beautiful gardens. My favourite thing about the National Trust is that they always put on interesting things for kids, so you can go and enjoy the properties, knowing they are having fun too. x

23. Lauretta
    December 11, 2017 / 11:08 pm

Looks like a pretty good place to visit. It’s amazing to see how well they have preserved those places.

24. December 10, 2017 / 2:56 pm

One of my favourite parts of the country, and we do love a National Trust property – some here we’ve not done so I’ll bookmark.

25. December 9, 2017 / 2:37 pm

I visit Basildon quite regularly. I will have a look at the Park when next I am in the city.

26. Kara
    December 9, 2017 / 8:21 am

We love the National Trust but I need to renew my membership. We have Kingston Lacy, Corfe Castle and the Studland beaches near us

27. Laura Dove
    December 8, 2017 / 10:28 pm

Ahh we love the national trust! We are so lucky to have so many gorgeous sites in this country!

28. Laura @dearbearandbeany
    December 8, 2017 / 4:25 pm

We’re members of the National Trust and we love visiting them. Some of these we’ve been to and loved

29. December 8, 2017 / 2:27 pm

When we lived in the UK we had the National Trust pass and we loved being able to visit so many great places

30. Helen Jacob-Lloyd
    December 8, 2017 / 1:19 pm

What a fantastic round up – my auntie lives near these places, so I’ll have to send this over to her 🙂

31. Talya Stone
    December 8, 2017 / 12:52 pm

This is such a useful guide Oxfordshire is such a lovely part of the country and I still haven’t managed to get to any of these but would love to one day!