Local Adventure: Blenheim Palace #localtourist

For the last couple of months I made a point to spend as much time locally as I possibly could. As someone who loves jetting off somewhere abroad this has been a change of pace for me but a welcome one. I love going abroad and diving into another countries culture and traditions, it’s exhilarating learning about another culture. But I have also realised Home (England) has enough history to dig into and learn about without flying anywhere. For the remainder of 2017 I intend to travel locally as much as I possibly can to share the beauty around me.

Local adventures

As mentioned, of late I have been traveling locally so that I can appreciate the beauty around me. Living in the south-west of England I am close to so many beautiful places including Wales. Recently I ventured to Bristol and Bath, earlier in the year I went to Birmingham and last year I managed to visit Castle Combe. It was truly inspiring seeing all of these places and seeing what I have right in my backyard. To just make you appreciate just how gorgeous Oxfordshire is, I thought I share the first #localadventure which is Blenheim Palace.

Blenheim Palace #localtourist

Blenheim Palace, the only non-royal country house to hold the title of palace and is a monumental country house in Oxfordshire. I have lived in Oxfordshire for over 3 years and I hadn’t visited this glorious palace until now. The palace is located in Woodstock and was designated the UNESCO World Heritage site in 1987. It was built between 1705 and 1722 as a reward to Churchill for the triumph against the French and Bavarian’s. Currently it is the principal residence of the Dukes of Marlborough with John Churchill being the 1st Duke.

In the last two weekends I have spent at least a couple of hours each weekend to explore the ins and outs. Blenheim Palace is such an incredible UNESCO world heritage site, I am planning on getting an annual membership. The Palace grounds are enough to make me want to visit as often as possible.

Are you a local adventurer? What do you think of the idea of being a local tourist?

PIN IT

1. Steve Walters
    October 1, 2017 / 8:11 pm

Blenheim Palace looks and sounds absolutely incredible. So much history and spectacle. I would love to visit this sometime. Are there any hidden areas that they don’t allow tourist to see?

2. October 1, 2017 / 10:11 am

I’m coming to England in April and would love to check out Blenheim Palace while on my stay!

3. kim@hungryhealthygirl
    September 30, 2017 / 10:19 pm

Such a beautiful place! I sure would love to visit!

4. lianne
    September 30, 2017 / 8:52 pm

It looks a gorgeous place, I love visiting places like these!!

5. Jayne
    September 30, 2017 / 10:18 am

Beautiful photos, We love in an amazing country with some truly breathtaking scenery. We love making the most of the local area and exploring.
    (hubby helping out)

6. September 29, 2017 / 9:05 pm

We do live in a gorgeous country don’t we? Great idea to visit local places and appreciate what we have on our doorstep. I’ve never been to Blenheim Palace but your photos show it to be a beautiful place.

7. Amy
    September 29, 2017 / 6:23 pm

I’ve seen loads about Blenheim Palace, it’s a beautiful place! I find that I tend to forget about the sites closest to Home.

8. TColeman
    September 29, 2017 / 5:28 pm

I love visiting buildings like this that have so much to explore and see. I would love to see this!

9. Bobbi
    September 29, 2017 / 5:27 pm

This place looks so gorgeous. It is always nice to check out things that are close to home that will amaze you.

10. September 29, 2017 / 12:23 pm

So beautiful! The palace is so grand it’s hard to imagine people actually living and growing up there back in the day!

11. September 29, 2017 / 9:13 am

This looks like a lovely place to visit, I love places with culture and its even better when the surroundings are surreal x

• September 29, 2017 / 9:21 am

Tell me about it, the Blenheim Palace and it’s surroundings are definitely surreal

12. Blair Villanueva
    September 29, 2017 / 6:02 am

Its beautiful! I wonder what it feels like leaving in a palace like this.
    Is there an airbnb for palaces?

• September 29, 2017 / 9:23 am

Not sure about airbnb for palaces but wouldn’t that be cool

13. September 28, 2017 / 7:51 pm

Oh my gosh, a real palace. I’d never want to leave when exploring here. I would love to go to England one day. If I lived there I’d want to explore every single local place.

14. David Elliott
    September 28, 2017 / 3:01 pm

That’s so great that you are now traveling locally in your area to see some amazing places. I really do love that. And that palace is quite amazing. I never heard of it before but kinda cool one of the few places listed as a palace.

15. Lauretta
    September 28, 2017 / 1:42 pm

I love how you try to explore local scenes as well. We usually go somewhere else for a getaway without realizing that there’s also a lot to visit locally. Blenheim Palace is one of them.

16. Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes
    September 28, 2017 / 10:04 am

I love the idea of being a local tourist, so much to see on our own doorstep. Blenheim palace is stunning 🙂

17. Mayuri Saxena
    September 28, 2017 / 9:19 am

Sometimes it becomes difficult to take out time to go on a long vacation. Staycation is a perfect option to go on a short vacation and enjoy local beauty. This castle is gorgeous!