Local Adventure: Blenheim Palace #localtourist

For the last couple of months I made a point to spend as much time locally as I possibly could. As someone who loves jetting off somewhere abroad this has been a change of pace for me but a welcome one. I love going abroad and diving into another countries culture and traditions, it’s exhilarating learning about another culture. But I have also realised Home (England) has enough history to dig into and learn about without flying anywhere. For the remainder of 2017 I intend to travel locally as much as I possibly can to share the beauty around me.

Local adventures

As mentioned, of late I have been traveling locally so that I can appreciate the beauty around me. Living in the south-west of England I am close to so many beautiful places including Wales. Recently I ventured to Bristol and Bath, earlier in the year I went to Birmingham and last year I managed to visit Castle Combe. It was truly inspiring seeing all of these places and seeing what I have right in my backyard. To just make you appreciate just how gorgeous Oxfordshire is, I thought I share the first #localadventure which is Blenheim Palace.

Blenheim Palace #localtourist

Blenheim Palace, the only non-royal country house to hold the title of palace and is a monumental country house in Oxfordshire. I have lived in Oxfordshire for over 3 years and I hadn’t visited this glorious palace until now. The palace is located in Woodstock and was designated the UNESCO World Heritage site in 1987. It was built between 1705 and 1722 as a reward to Churchill for the triumph against the French and Bavarian’s. Currently it is the principal residence of the Dukes of Marlborough with John Churchill being the 1st Duke.

In the last two weekends I have spent at least a couple of hours each weekend to explore the ins and outs. Blenheim Palace is such an incredible UNESCO world heritage site, I am planning on getting an annual membership. The Palace grounds are enough to make me want to visit as often as possible.

Are you a local adventurer? What do you think of the idea of being a local tourist?

PIN IT

1. Steve Walters
    October 1, 2017 / 8:11 pm

Blenheim Palace looks and sounds absolutely incredible. So much history and spectacle. I would love to visit this sometime. Are there any hidden areas that they don’t allow tourist to see?

2. October 1, 2017 / 10:11 am

I’m coming to England in April and would love to check out Blenheim Palace while on my stay!

3. kim@hungryhealthygirl
    September 30, 2017 / 10:19 pm

Such a beautiful place! I sure would love to visit!

4. lianne
    September 30, 2017 / 8:52 pm

It looks a gorgeous place, I love visiting places like these!!

5. Jayne
    September 30, 2017 / 10:18 am

Beautiful photos, We love in an amazing country with some truly breathtaking scenery. We love making the most of the local area and exploring.
    (hubby helping out)

6. September 29, 2017 / 9:05 pm

We do live in a gorgeous country don’t we? Great idea to visit local places and appreciate what we have on our doorstep. I’ve never been to Blenheim Palace but your photos show it to be a beautiful place.

7. Amy
    September 29, 2017 / 6:23 pm

I’ve seen loads about Blenheim Palace, it’s a beautiful place! I find that I tend to forget about the sites closest to Home.

8. TColeman
    September 29, 2017 / 5:28 pm

I love visiting buildings like this that have so much to explore and see. I would love to see this!

9. Bobbi
    September 29, 2017 / 5:27 pm

This place looks so gorgeous. It is always nice to check out things that are close to home that will amaze you.

10. September 29, 2017 / 12:23 pm

So beautiful! The palace is so grand it’s hard to imagine people actually living and growing up there back in the day!

11. September 29, 2017 / 9:13 am

This looks like a lovely place to visit, I love places with culture and its even better when the surroundings are surreal x

• September 29, 2017 / 9:21 am

Tell me about it, the Blenheim Palace and it’s surroundings are definitely surreal

12. Blair Villanueva
    September 29, 2017 / 6:02 am

Its beautiful! I wonder what it feels like leaving in a palace like this.
    Is there an airbnb for palaces?

• September 29, 2017 / 9:23 am

Not sure about airbnb for palaces but wouldn’t that be cool

13. September 28, 2017 / 7:51 pm

Oh my gosh, a real palace. I’d never want to leave when exploring here. I would love to go to England one day. If I lived there I’d want to explore every single local place.

14. David Elliott
    September 28, 2017 / 3:01 pm

That’s so great that you are now traveling locally in your area to see some amazing places. I really do love that. And that palace is quite amazing. I never heard of it before but kinda cool one of the few places listed as a palace.

15. Lauretta
    September 28, 2017 / 1:42 pm

I love how you try to explore local scenes as well. We usually go somewhere else for a getaway without realizing that there’s also a lot to visit locally. Blenheim Palace is one of them.

16. Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes
    September 28, 2017 / 10:04 am

I love the idea of being a local tourist, so much to see on our own doorstep. Blenheim palace is stunning 🙂

17. Mayuri Saxena
    September 28, 2017 / 9:19 am

Sometimes it becomes difficult to take out time to go on a long vacation. Staycation is a perfect option to go on a short vacation and enjoy local beauty. This castle is gorgeous!

18. September 28, 2017 / 6:00 am

I think it’s really important to have regular staycations. Everywhere is somewhere foreign and exotic to somewhere, even where we live. There’s always so much to explore everywhere. 🙂

• September 28, 2017 / 6:49 am

I couldn’t agree more and it took me a long time to appreciate that

19. Amila Wickramarachchi
    September 28, 2017 / 5:35 am

Local adventures are always worth the time.Sometimes there are hidden gems that we didn’t know before.This castle looks gorgeous.I’d like to visit such a place some day!

• September 28, 2017 / 6:50 am

There are so many hidden gems that I am hoping to exploit before the end of the year and share my finds

20. Chloe
    September 28, 2017 / 3:11 am

We love being a local tourist in our area! There is so much to do, Underwaterworld, Australia Zoo…the beaches..the list is endless! I’m loving your part of town, there looks like a lot of beautiful places to visit.

• September 28, 2017 / 6:51 am

I am already jealous of whats in your backyard but yes local adventures have there charm and we have so much around we just need to look

21. September 27, 2017 / 7:53 pm

I have never visited Blenheim Palace, but so many of my friends have and said it’s beautiful 🙂 It’s not that far from me, so I really should make the effort to go! x

22. Mary Abbott
    September 27, 2017 / 6:29 pm

Love this! Never been but love all the history behind it!

23. Milton
    September 27, 2017 / 6:26 pm

So gorgeous – I love castles! There’s actually many places I haven’t seen yet in Singapore. Maybe I should bring my daughter to explore them soon 🙂

24. Nancy at Whispered Inspiration
    September 27, 2017 / 5:30 pm

This looks like such a wonderful place to visit. I love doing local adventures where I live, it’s so much fun to explore places that are close by.

25. Gingermommy
    September 27, 2017 / 5:29 pm

What a beautiful place to go! I have never been myself, but I may have to check it out.

26. September 27, 2017 / 1:57 pm

Blenheim Palace is such a beautiful place, I have many happy memories of it from my childhood.

27. September 27, 2017 / 10:59 am

Blenheim Palace is right around the corner from my university but I never visited when I was there! Need to make a trip back one day as it really is spectacular!

28. Kara
    September 27, 2017 / 10:19 am

Blenheim palace looks spectacular and it is not a million miles away for me. I shall book in a visit – is it english heritage?

29. Emmanuel Damian
    September 27, 2017 / 3:53 am

I am a local adventurer too! There’s so much to see in my country like England. I would like to visit England too soon. It’s in my bucketlist.

• September 27, 2017 / 7:42 am

Glad to hear it Emmanuel

30. Rose Mont
    September 27, 2017 / 2:32 am

I would love to visit. I wonder how many castles it takes to get boring. Everyone has its own charm story and of course beauty. You should stay local and take in all the history you have at hand. I like to eplore new areas close to home too.

• September 27, 2017 / 7:43 am

I don’t think I will ever get tired of visiting castles lol but yes its important to explore everything local

31. September 27, 2017 / 12:17 am

This is such a pretty palace. I always enjoy exploring them because I’m a huge fan of history.

• September 27, 2017 / 8:15 am

You and me both, there is something about old Palaces and the history they hold

32. Annette Yedlin
    September 27, 2017 / 12:04 am

I have always wanted to travel to England to see the many castles. My childhood dream was to be a princess and live happily ever after in one lol Although I haven’t become a real princess, I am living happily ever after 🙂 Your local scenery is beautiful. One day I may be able to visit!

• September 27, 2017 / 8:16 am

Girl I wanted to be anything from a Princess to the President, one can dream but atleast you got the happily ever after part

33. September 26, 2017 / 10:13 pm

I have never heard about Blenheim Palace before but it looks such a great place to visit and explore! 🙂

34. Moderate Mum
    September 26, 2017 / 9:56 pm

I’m always saying I need to take advantage of the beautiful country I live in. I also love train journeys so I should get booking!

35. Laura @dearbearandbeany
    September 26, 2017 / 9:29 pm

We love Blenheim Place, its really beautiful and so much for children to do. I haven’t been inside for a few years though x

36. Laura Dove
    September 26, 2017 / 9:23 pm

Gorgeous! My friend won a competition to get married here, it was amazing! Love your photos. xx

37. Stephanie
    September 26, 2017 / 9:08 pm

I love exploring the area around us, so much around that we don’t realise. I’ve been there before when it had a flower show on too, never got to see inside bit it looked stunning

38. September 26, 2017 / 6:19 pm

I think it is great that you have been travelling locally.For me I remember when I was younger looking at Lonely Planet and scrolling through all the places I wanted to go to. As a history lover Blenheim Palace was on my list x

39. Joanna
    September 26, 2017 / 4:28 pm

I love seeing photos of Blenheim palace I’ve wanted to visit for awhile the place just looks stunning. It shouldn’t be too far for us to get to either.

40. September 26, 2017 / 3:45 pm

I’d love to visit Blenheim Palace! I’m definitely a ‘local tourist’ – I’ve been in London for five years now and still love finding new bits to explore!

41. Talya Stone
    September 26, 2017 / 12:59 pm

I love being a local tourist – we are really lucky to have some amazing places close to where we live like Hampton Court Palace and I think we all need to embrace what’s on our doorstep! I’ve always wanted to visit Blenheim.

• September 26, 2017 / 3:42 pm

I would love to visit Hampton Court Palace one day but for now want to explore all of Oxfordshire

42. Life Daily
    September 26, 2017 / 9:13 am

I’ve always wanted to go here, they have a Christmas event that looks AMAZING, but we’re not overly local. I need to add it to my list I think! x

• September 26, 2017 / 3:42 pm

I saw the ads for the upcoming Christmas event and I am adding it to my list to venture there soon