Shopping in store vs online

Shopping in store vs online as a shopaholic is not usually a difficult question because it depends circumstances. Mostly for me what is my current situation in terms of work and free time I have at hand? Can afford to take the ‘time and effort’ to visit the store then I would, but not for everything. If time is limited then I do my shopping online because it is ‘easier and convenient’.

The choice on whether to do my shopping in store vs online is also dependent on the product I need. If I need to feel the product then it’s easy I will take the time to visit the store. Whereas if the product is something simple like a portable radiator an image and reviews are enough.

shopping in store

Shopping in store vs online pros and cons

I think you can tell quite easily some of the pros and cons associated with in-store or online shopping. But we are all different and most people will have a preference for one and not the other. I personally thing it is mostly dependent on personal circumstances.

PROS CONS
Online

• Easy and convenient
  • Accessibility
  • Reviews
  • More choice
  • Current stock status
  • Quick and efficient process

In store

• Customer relations
  • Can try on
Online

• Can’t not try it on
  • Too much choice of distribution
  • Might not be as expected e.g. colour not as originally thought

In store

• Time and effort to get to store
  • No awareness of product status prior to shopping

Practically speaking it is prudent for both big and small companies to consider the resourcefulness of online shopping. The future of shopping in store vs online is one that is constantly debated upon and for good reason. We’ve seen our high street shops go under because shops ain’t having the same turnover. Online stores are slowly taking over but not completely because people will always need to brick and mortar. I personally feel both shopping in store and online can thrive when utilized correctly by companies.

*Swiftmoney.com has put together an impressive infographic which highlights the future of shopping.

*Collaborative

1. December 6, 2017 / 8:37 pm

I only buy clothes online from shops that I know what size I am because I can’t be bothered with the hassle of returning items! I buy a lot of toys etc through Amazon though

2. Cathryn Daws
    December 3, 2017 / 8:24 pm

I used to be an instore shopper but now I’ve got my little girl we are very much online shoppers! I do still love independent business too, which is great the fact so many are online.

3. jennifuchs
    December 2, 2017 / 11:36 pm

I very rarely shop for clothes online. I need to try things on for fit.

4. Stephanie
    December 2, 2017 / 7:10 pm

I do a bit of both, if it is something I want to see or touch before purchasing then I will go to the shops first. Most things I can get purchased online

5. Beach Hut Cook
    December 2, 2017 / 9:38 am

I do a little of both. In store and online. Online deals can be too good to turn down!!

• December 2, 2017 / 9:59 am

I know what you mean, the online deals are so easily accessible now that they can just pop them into your inbox

6. Laura Dove
    December 1, 2017 / 9:31 pm

I shop on line for 99% of my purchases. With four kids I rarely have time alone to hit the shops, it’s not worth dragging them around with me!

7. December 1, 2017 / 3:18 pm

I like online personally but mostly because I don’t drive. Makes things much easier!

8. Sim @ Sim's Life
    December 1, 2017 / 10:32 am

Shopping online these days is so easy, it’s convenient and items are delivered to your door. Plus with all the discounts available, it’s a no brainer. I used to love mauling around shops when younger but I guess it’s the time factor that makes me favour online shopping! Sim xx