Dinner at Sticks’n’Sushi Oxford Branch

Sticks’n’Sushi is a fusion of two traditions; Japanese and Danish, both of which are known for their relaxed approach on life. The chain was created over 22 years ago by two brothers who combined their two heritage to create incredibly mouth-watering dishes. The food is of high quality, fresh and based on a unique combination of sushi and yakitori sticks from the grill.

Sticks’n’Sushi

What I loved about the menu is how comprehensive it was, the name can be deceptive. It is not all sushi, they serve chicken, beef, pork and vegetable dishes all made fresh to order.

Whilst Sticks’n’Sushi is new to Oxford, it is no stranger to London where it has several branches as well as in Cambridge. The Oxford brand of the 17th branch with several in Denmark and one in Germany. From its inception Sticks’n’Sushi has struck gold is very popular on the Danish gourmet scene. It is easy to see why, from the design of the restaurants to the investment into its employees.

The Ambiance

Prior to our arrival, we had made a reservation for 8pm, we arrived a few minutes before and we were warmly welcomed. From the moment we entered the Oxford branch, throughout our meal until leaving we were star struck. The design of the entire place is so welcoming and relaxing, it caters to soloist, ‘trendsetters’ and families too.

What I loved is they offer great reading material instead of your everyday magazine or newspaper. I was really touched because often I am alone and it would be awesome to have some great reading material. The entire ambiance was romantic, relaxing and perfect for date nights of all sorts.

The yummy and delicious food

Where shall I begin! Well I guess from the beginning.

Even now as I write this article I am still salivating just thinking about the yummy and delicious foods we ate. The menu is so extensive but very inclusive too, we both felt we have eaten enough sushi so we were for different. Don’t get me wrong, we love sushi and we will be going back for it, but for this night somehow a salad was what we wanted. My girl date ordered the Fish Salad and I went for the Four wings which was chicken, duck, egg and more.

Our original thinking was a salad is never filling and we would probably be looking for MacD later. So we decided to have a starter with our meal; I chose EBI bites and my date chose scallops. Little did we know not only will we enjoy the starters so much but the salad would come in a huge bowl. It would be full to the top so much that we would take some home in the nicest doggie bag ever.

Delicious Sticks’n’Sushi style dessert.

Now, we might have been full and felt stuffed from the starter and main but we still had room for dessert. I don’t know about you but I have two stomachs; one for starter and main and another just for dessert. To say we were excited for the dessert would be an understatement; we could not wait to try it all. But alas the budget didn’t allow us to eat it all instead tried majority of the menus of offer.

What I especially loved was the desserts served in small dessert bowls very Japanese like and very cute. You have an option to either just have one of these small bowls or get 3 for £9, which is what we did. Let me tell you it was the best dessert ever and we can not recommend it enough. I can still taste it now, I want that vanilla ice cream again and I don’t care that it’s winter.

Sticks’n’Sushi

The Service

From the moment we were shown to our seats, we received the most amazing service. The waiting staff was truly attentive, gave us some great suggestions on drinks and explained what was in the drinks. I don’t think we had a moment when staff wasn’t checking we had all we needed, they ensured our water glasses where never empty.

It was nicely chatting to them all, they had great suggestions and recommendations. The entire atmosphere was welcoming and they seemed like a real relaxing team who looked out for one another.

Sticks’n’Sushi

The Price

Now I am always the first to moan about how expensive meals for two have become these days. By the end of our date night, the dent in our combined wallet was just over £100 with optional service charge added. For the kind of service we received, it would have been wrong not to pay the optional service charge. For us this was quite expensive but so totally worth it and we will be doing it again. The food was out of this world delicious, service was really second to none and the ambiance was everything perfect. We had an incredible evening, it’s our second last date night thanks Sticks’n’Sushi.

Final thoughts

Just look at the design of the restaurant, the big smiles on the face of the staff and the atmosphere. What you will see and experience is pure bliss, the food is one for the books and the ambiance excellent. We had an incredible time, we chatted like tomorrow would never come.

Sticks’n’Sushi is a place I highly recommend, definitely worth 5* designation on my book.

Disclaimer: This review is not a commissioned review, we just wanted to share our wonderful experience.

1. Lisa
    February 4, 2018 / 1:39 am

This looks like a great place to eat when your out on the town.

• February 4, 2018 / 3:46 pm

It sure is and I can not recommend it enough

2. Leo T. Ly
    January 30, 2018 / 10:29 pm

I love sushi and would love to go to a great restaurant with a nice ambiance with lots of delicious food to for a date night. It’s definitely with a try.

3. Stephanie
    January 29, 2018 / 8:03 pm

This looks and sounds lovely. The decor is so pretty

4. Deborah Nicholas
    January 29, 2018 / 8:03 pm

Oh wow this looks amazing and I don’t mind paying when it’s good food and good service.

5. January 28, 2018 / 3:02 pm

I love the whole look of this place. It does sound a bit expensive but for a treat now and then, I could see myself splurging on it.

6. January 28, 2018 / 2:15 pm

Talk about a lovely place to enjoy some good food. I like the vibe, very relaxed and modern! I think it’s one that you shouldn’t miss whenever you’re in an area that has Sticks’n’Sushi.

7. Lavanda Michelle
    January 28, 2018 / 1:58 pm

That restaurant seems to inviting! I’m not a sushi fanatic so the fact that its not all just sushi is amazing. I’d love to go there, it looks worth the price.

8. January 28, 2018 / 3:25 am

Omg i love the name of this restaurant! It’d be a great place to take everyone as it doesnt just serve sushi. Food looks so good too.

9. Shannon Graham
    January 27, 2018 / 9:23 pm

That place looks so great. My husband would love it.

10. BohemianBabushka
    January 27, 2018 / 8:12 am

Wishing we had that chain in the states. Starting from the decor to the dessert it looks INCREIBLE. How nice to have a place where dining is a total experience for the senses;by your post Babushka can feel the pleasure of the evening.

11. January 27, 2018 / 1:43 am

First of all those chairs look so freaking comfy and cozy. I love sushi but I like the eclectic mix of menu options. I would totally eat here and try out some new things.

12. Maayan Shaanan
    January 26, 2018 / 7:50 pm

I love the Nordic Inspired Decor, wow, totally on my list for when I visit Oxford again!

13. Sara Welch
    January 26, 2018 / 7:44 pm

That is some high quality sushi! I would love to check this place out sometime.

14. January 26, 2018 / 7:34 pm

This place looks fantastic! I love the decor and design of the furniture and the food looks so good!

15. Louise Oliver
    January 26, 2018 / 5:34 pm

This sounds like my kind of restaurant! I have to admit, I’ve never heard of it even though I live just outside of London! Are the only other branches in Oxford and Cambridge? I’d love to check it out.

16. January 26, 2018 / 4:53 pm

Oh, I love the modern decor. Your photos look very nice. The food pics are making me hungry, I wish I lived closer.

17. Kara
    January 26, 2018 / 4:32 pm

I have to admit that sushi really doesn’t appeal to me but it does look like a lovely restaurant for sushi fans

18. chubskulit
    January 26, 2018 / 4:31 pm

We are a family of mixed race (Whasian) and we love some good Asian food. It’s always delightful when the service is excellent.

19. Vyjay Rao
    January 26, 2018 / 4:00 pm

The ambience of Sticks N Sushi looks really great. I love the fact that they have good quality reading material and also nice service. The fact that vegetarian dishes are also available is good to hear.

20. January 26, 2018 / 3:18 pm

I’m starting to love Japanese food but not a fan of sushi. I love the ambiance of the restaurant and the desserts looks so yummy. Now craving for a vanilla ice creaaaammm..

21. Sarah
    January 26, 2018 / 2:30 pm

We love sushi! We’re alway excited to try new restaurants. The dessert looks amazing too!

22. January 26, 2018 / 11:40 am

YAS for sushi! I LOVE sushi and am always up to try a new sushi restaurant. YUM!!

23. Kira
    January 26, 2018 / 8:54 am

Oh wow I’d definitely love to try this place out – sushi is mine and Scott’s favourite!

24. Janice Sheehan
    January 26, 2018 / 7:34 am

Danish and Japanese, certainly a combination I wasn’t expecting. Looks good and sounds intriguing.

25. Emmanuel Damian
    January 26, 2018 / 5:34 am

I would like to try Sticks n’ Sushi! The desserts look so good! So yummy!

26. January 26, 2018 / 3:26 am

Oh my gosh I love sushi, too bad my man doesn’t, so getting sushi is usually with the girls! The ice cream looks so good too. I’m having a little bit of a sweet tooth right now.

27. Heather
    January 26, 2018 / 12:46 am

What a gorgeous restaurant! I love the atmosphere and the food looks amazing! I wish I lived nearby, we would totally try it out.

28. Marceline Dementori
    January 26, 2018 / 12:25 am

I don’t mind paying a good amount of money for a place that’s worth it and it sounds like Sticks n Sushi is! It’s really awesome, from the food to the ambiance to the service! Just, wow!

29. January 26, 2018 / 12:23 am

wow, the food looks so yummy! And I am happy that you received such a great service. It matters so much! So sweet of you to write such a detailed review of this restaurant x

30. January 26, 2018 / 12:21 am

What a neat place to eat dinner! It sure looks super comfy. And those desserts!! *swoon*

31. Pam W
    January 25, 2018 / 11:07 pm

This sounds like an awesome restaurant. I always love hearing about how great the service was at places…. so many places taste good but don’t have outstanding service.

32. January 25, 2018 / 10:19 pm

Oh now this sounds like an interesting restaurant, I love that the service was amazing and that food, well it looks and sounds perfect. I may just have to check it out next time I’m in the area.

33. January 25, 2018 / 9:16 pm

The setting is gorgeous with all of those windows! The good looks great too! My husband and I have just started going on a date night once a month and a nice place like this would be a lot of fun.

34. Battlemum
    January 25, 2018 / 7:34 pm

Wow it sounds amazing. The restaurant looks really good as does the food. And your review is a brilliantly comprehensive one. To be fair, £100 doesn’t faze me for excellent ambiance, food and service, especially when the desserts look that good!

35. January 25, 2018 / 7:18 pm

This is a bit pricey for us but it does look and sound very nice! It seems the price tag is worth it though as well

36. Ann F. Snook-Moreau
    January 25, 2018 / 6:54 pm

The food looks amazing! And the atmosphere looks so comfy cozy. Glad you had a great time!

37. Tomi_C
    January 25, 2018 / 5:14 pm

Ok, Japanese and Danish? What a combination and it looks you really enjoyed your meal so I guess the fusion of Japanese and Danish works. That combination is definitely not some generic pairing as both cuisines are such vastly different cuisines.

38. January 25, 2018 / 4:59 pm

When I think of Danish hospitality, I also think of hygge and it certainly seems like this restaurant has embraced this concept. It is all about warm and welcoming and by the way you describe the service, it sounds like they really value it.

39. Jeanette Humphries Radmall
    January 25, 2018 / 3:47 pm

How gorgeous is this restaurant? The ambiance and the food are so classy!

40. Jessica Taylor
    January 25, 2018 / 3:03 pm

If you think about it, the price wasn’t too bad for the food quality! Everything looks amazing!

41. The Newhouse Family
    January 25, 2018 / 1:37 pm

Oh my goodness, those puddings look amazing! I’m not too far from Cambridge, so I’d be interested in visiting that branch. x

42. January 25, 2018 / 1:18 pm

I’m glad it’s not all sushi there since I don’t care for it. I’d be happy with a chicken dish! That dessert looks incredible too!

43. Candy Kage
    January 25, 2018 / 12:39 pm

Unfortunately we will never get to enjoy this wonderful place since we live so far away. The food looks amazing. Very up scale and lovely looking establishment.

44. Robin Rue
    January 25, 2018 / 12:32 pm

The food there looks amazing. My hubby probably would have chosen the scallops, too! Yum.

45. January 25, 2018 / 11:15 am

I love the interior and the decor looks really chic, funny thing is I don’t like eating sushi but always keep trying to do it. I guess it’s the whole idea of raw fish that runs through my mind either way I will keep on looking for the ones that I will end up liking.

• January 25, 2018 / 11:32 am

That’s the beauty about Sitcks’n’Sushi, its not all sushi, they have several different options to cater to everyone’s needs