Summer Road Trips Preps {Car Maintenance}

Winter seems to have lasted longer than legally allowed so most of us are looking forward to summer road trips. You might have noticed I have skipped over Spring because well it’s not relevant. The last few weeks have been an extension of Winter and Spring is nowhere to be found. I for one am looking forward to some good dose of summer weather to top up on my Vitamin D.

Summer Road Trips

Family road trips are one of my favourite pastime adventures we used to enjoy when I was younger. Moving to the UK we found ourselves partaking in loads of road trips across the country. I have wonderful memories of us driving to Scotland from Cambridge, 8 long hours. To be honest, back then I never thought about what car preparations my father undertook. It is only now that I myself am a driver that’s when it has clicked that I need to plan ahead. In this article I have compiled a list of some summer road trips tips to help with your preparation.

Summer Road Trips Preps

Whether you will be driving across Europe or within the UK, there are some tips everyone should know. I have only been driving for under a year and I often need to refer to the car manual for guidance. Ok to be fair before I refer to the manual, I always call my father first {cheaper and quicker} for advice. Whether you’re an experienced driver or not, it’s important to prepare your car for any road trips.

Be prepared

Preparation is the key to success and a wonderful road trip experience, there are several ways you can prepare. Depending on where you’re going, the time of the year and whose traveling, preparation can vary. But regardless of the aforementioned, you need to ensure that you have;

• Emergency kit: check that it contains a first aid box, a blanket and flash light
  • GPS: make sure either your car GPS or your other GPS devices are up-to-date
  • Read owners manual: very important to have a refresher read of your car manual

Get car serviced

One thing has it totally new to me is getting my car serviced, it’s due for its service next week. I am still reading up on what the servicing will include but I do know many garages like *Kwik Fit offer car servicing. Depending on whether your car is having its first service or the millionth, they all include;

• Basic maintenance – checking your air filters and oil changes this includes engine maintenance too.
  • Check your brakes
  • Get your tyres checked
  • Check the battery

Pack Smart

As an avid traveler, I have become quite an expert when it comes to packing for flights but not road trips. We’ve got a couple of summer road trips in the works and I am trying to figure out what we will need. Obviously I am not limited of space but you want to ensure the basics are covered. You can carry as much as you light but its important to remember not to;

• Over pack above your car’s load capacity

Snacks and Drinks

One thing that can hinder any good summer road trips is not having the right snacks or drinks. Every time I travel I always have a load of snacks and beverages to keep the trip interesting. Whilst I try to stay as healthy as I possibly can, a good dose of chocolates and crisps always welcome. So make sure for your next road trip you stay;

• Stay hydrated
  • and keep loads of sweets and energy bars.

Road assistance program

Part of the services that I get from my bank is the road assistance should I need it, currently its with AA. Whilst I have never needed it before, it is good and handy to have a road assistance program. Many UK insurance companies offer these as part of the insurance, it definitely work considering. Nothing ruins a good road trip than being stuck somewhere and have no help whatsoever.

I am sure many people have loads of tips for what people can do to make the summer road trips enjoyable. Share your comments on what else we should include for these summer road trips.

*Collaborative

1. Lisa Marie Heath
    April 6, 2018 / 2:49 pm

We love doing road trips! We’ll have to keep these in mind for the next one, I think we usually just get up and go and don’t really do much prep (and we should)

2. Debra Hawkins
    April 5, 2018 / 8:56 pm

We always do road trips every summer! This is the first summer we are flying every where but we need to take care of our car anyway!

3. Daniels Beitss
    April 5, 2018 / 6:24 pm

I done a lot of road trips in Europe and North America and love it, but preparation is the key. Get this right and everything else will be ok. 🙂

4. April 5, 2018 / 3:50 pm

We love going on road trips no matter the season. It’s good to make sure that your tires and everything else about the car is in top shape. I’ve also learned to pack better throughout the years!

5. Marina
    April 5, 2018 / 2:05 pm

Packing smart is SSSOOOOO important. Not only is it not good for the car to have so much junk in it, but you’re totally comfortable the whole trip and its hard to stay organized. I also buy diaper bags from the dollar store and use them as small trash bags in the car and toss them at stops. Keeps things tidy. I also like to organize any in the car necessities like snacks, tissues, wipes, etc. in a container within easy access. When we went on a camping trip 5 hours up north, I just used my son’s diaper box for these things. Thanks for sharing!

6. April 5, 2018 / 12:29 pm

Snacks are vital for all of my family’s trips. And yes, staying hydrated is so important, especially when you’re taking a long roadtrip in particular.

7. chubskulit
    April 5, 2018 / 11:07 am

Having two kids and loving roadtrips, these tips are spot on. Snacks and drinks are very important and yes, the car should be inspected first before going.

8. Melanie
    April 5, 2018 / 3:49 am

We had an AA membership for a while but let it lapse. They still send us lots of mail to renew, though!

9. April 5, 2018 / 3:33 am

The husband and I drive up to Florida for the summer and it can be a long drive. We always make sure to have the car checked before anything else. Love the tips that you have here, they’re all important steps!

10. April 5, 2018 / 3:28 am

Definitely get your car serviced. I know I need to get my tires rotated before we do any more traveling.

11. Still DatingMySpouse
    April 5, 2018 / 1:48 am

I love car trips. I try to remember to get the car checked out before each road trip. These are great reminders.

12. April 5, 2018 / 12:44 am

We travel a lot in the summer, and it helps to have good maintenance on the car. Thanks for the tips!

13. Tasheena N. Womack
    April 4, 2018 / 7:31 pm

Having road assistance is so important and is really a essential. It’s one of those things that you hope that you never have to use but also hope in the case that you need it, that you have it.

14. Jeanette
    April 4, 2018 / 2:55 pm

We have a few road trips planned for the summer and the first thing we always do is get an oil change and check the tire pressure. It is the best way to do it so that you have peace of mind when you’re driving.

15. Alli Smith
    April 4, 2018 / 1:50 pm

Road Assistance is so important for peace of mind. I love knowing that road assistance is only a phone call away if I need it. I’m leaving on a road trip today so these tips will really come in handy.

16. Candy Kage
    April 4, 2018 / 1:32 pm

We always have the car checked over and maintained before heading out on a road trip. Just makes good sense and peace of mind.

17. Robin Rue
    April 4, 2018 / 1:30 pm

We are going on a spring break road trip next weekend, so we are getting the oil changed tomorrow so that the car is ready to go!

18. April 4, 2018 / 1:30 pm

Yes, this is so important! We always get the vehicles checked out if we’re going a long distance. You just never know and I would HATE to be stranded on the side of the road.